Electricity

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 08:14 am
1. Why doesn't the base plate of an electric iron shock? 2. My electric stove is rated 1000W but draws only 400W(checked d meter) making it very slow. What's wrong& what can be done?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 09:16 am
@Sanctified,
If what you are refering to is the element on an electric stove, that heating element is designed to radiate heat. The element connects in such a way that no current can circulates as it provides only heat.

I'm not clear as to whether or not you are actually asking about a problem in the second part of your question or just highlighting a measured inefficiency.

However, the relative inefficency of 1000w/400w (40%) is not unusual. The material used in heating elements is inexpensive but practical as it doesn't conduct electricity. If the heating element was made of a different material (other than say nichrome wire), the heat transfer might be far higher but cost far more or wear out quicker.

In case I've not handled this explanation well, read info at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichrome
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 09:38 am
If a stove is rated at 1000 Watts, that is what it draws, with everything switched on. A heating element could be partly shorted out or a section could be burned out, which would make it slow to cook and not get as hot as it should.

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 09:42 am
@contrex,
I'm unclear what rating the OP refers to? Is this wattage rating input/output?
0 Replies

Sanctified

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 10:08 am
@contrex,
Yes. That's everything bein equal. But i live in a country where simple electronics can be faked. Like i said d stove is very slow(slower than what i experience wit stoves i've used before).
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 10:56 am
@Sanctified,
Quote:
But i live in a country where simple electronics can be faked.

Sorry but what you wrote is too vague for me to understand.

Are all the electrical burners to the stove slow to respond?

Can you shut off power to the stove and tighten and/or clean (file off) any possible corroison off the heating element's connections ?

If you suspect that the element is bad, why not change the element?
0 Replies