Chicago-Style Pizza

George

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:42 am
I'm going to be in Chicago and I want to have authentic Chicago-Style pizza.
Someplace near the University Center on South State St. would be best for
me. Any suggestions, Chicagoans?

Also, what's a good local brew I could wash it down with?

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:13 am
@George,
Not much in the south Loop area. I'd recommend Giordano's at Prudential Center. It's a bit of a hike from the south Loop, but well worth it. Lou Malnati's has a restaurant on S. State, but I don't think they do stuffed pizza, only deep dish (they're different -- don't let anyone tell you otherwise). There's a Pat's Pizzeria on S. Clark that serves stuffed and deep dish. It apparently has no connection with Pat's Pizza on the north side, which is locally famous, so I have no clue whether it's any good or not.

As for local brews, Goose Island is widely available on tap around the city, and they also have a good brew-pub on N. Clybourn.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:19 am
@George,
I prefer deep dish over stuffed and Lou Malnati's deep dish over Gino's, Pizzeria Uno or Due. I haven't eaten that the LM's on S. State St but that would be my choice given your starting location.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:30 am
@JPB,
It has been a long time since I've eaten at Malnati's, so I can't really vouch for them any more. Lots of tourists want to go to Pizzeria Uno, but I always found their sauce to be too sweet, so I never recommend it.

The real question, though, is why George is coming to Chicago and not getting together with the local gang. Do we have cooties or something?
George

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
. . . The real question, though, is why George is coming to
Chicago and not getting together with the local gang. Do we have
cooties or something?
Au contraire, mon frere. I would love to get together with the gang.
Anybody have Sunday evening open, July 1?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:46 pm
Don't make me beat you all up. Get together.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 08:39 am
@George,
July 1 is fine with me, but I have to warn you that Sunday nights in the Loop can be pretty dull. Not many restaurants or entertainment venues are open on Sunday nights in the downtown area.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 08:46 am
@joefromchicago,
yeah...

Sunday night in Chicago is like going to church on Tuesday.

y'all have fun anyways...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 05:32 pm
Oh well, maybe next time . . .

So anyhow, I've never heard of "stuffed pizza". How does it compare to
deep-dish?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 06:34 pm
@George,
What, you won't meet a2kers on a dull day? you must be kidding.
George

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I don't think there's much enthusiasm for it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 07:54 pm
@George,
Well, I won't judge and I'm guessing there has been miscommunication.

Meantime, you and me could have a lot of fun, George.

Johnboy walked and rode the city on his own (I would have gone with him but never mind, he didn't ask, didn't talk to me)
and I walked the city on my own, and I like doing that.

Not all bad, quite the experience, lots of photos.

My key memory of Chicago was Walter and Thomas and Cicerone and me getting to a stoplight near the art museum.

Cicerone set out as a jet on fire up Michigan Avenue. Thomas after him.
Walter was only halting to take myriad photos. I was last by myself.

It was odd.

Obviously dismissed by all of them, what can I say. A2kers slaking a line. Quite the memory.
JPB

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 07:57 am
@George,
Sorry! I'm not online as much as I used to be.

Sadly, I won't be around that day. Otherwise, Sunday or not, I would have been there with bells on! Next time, for sure!!!

Enjoy your visit, George. Chicago is beautiful in the summertime.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:03 am
@George,
joe favors stuffed over deep dish. I prefer Malnati's sausage deep dish over any other Chicago-style pizza. I wish I was going to be there to share either one.

Quote:
Chicago-style pizza or pie typically refers to a deep-dish pizza style developed in Chicago, United States. Chicago-style pizza has a crust up to three inches tall at the edge, slightly higher than the ingredients, which include large amounts of cheese and chunky tomato sauce, acting as a large bowl. Besides deep-dish, the term also refers to stuffed pizza, another Chicago style. Both styles of pizza are usually eaten with a knife and fork. While in Chicago most pizzerias also serve thin-crust pizza that is generally also in a style characteristic to the city, the term Chicago-style pizza is mainly used to describe the deep-dish style of pizza away from the Chicagoland area.

snip...

The deep-dish pizza differs in a few key ways from what pizza is typically known as: the crust is thick and -- as the name suggests -- is deep, so as to resemble a pie more than a flatbread; the toppings are assembled in reverse, with the cheese being on the bottom layer, followed by any additional toppings, and then the sauce.[3]

snip...

By the mid-1970s, two Chicago chains, Nancy's Pizza, founded by Rocco Palese, and Giordano's Pizzeria, operated by brothers Efren and Joseph Boglio, began experimenting with deep dish pizza and created the stuffed pizza.[6] Palese based his creation on his mother's recipe for scarciedda, an Italian Easter pie from his hometown of Potenza.[7] The Boglio brothers had worked for Palese as cooks and split off on their own in the early 1970s. Chicago Magazine articles featuring Nancy's Pizza and Giordano's stuffed pizza popularized the dish.

Stuffed pizzas are often even deeper than deep-dish pizzas, but otherwise, it can be hard to see the difference until it is cut into. A stuffed pizza generally has much deeper topping density than any other type of pizza. As with deep-dish pizza, a deep layer of dough forms a bowl in a high-sided pan and the toppings and cheese are added. Then, an additional layer of dough goes on top and is pressed to the sides of the crust.

At this stage, the thin dough top has a rounded, domed appearance. Pizza makers often poke a small hole in the top of the "lid" to allow air and steam to escape while cooking, so that the pizza does not explode. Typically, but not always, tomato sauce is ladled over the top crust before the pizza is baked. wiki
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:06 am
@JPB,
these are called Sicilian Pizzas anywhere else. I think Chicago is claiming credit for "the sunrise"
George

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:15 am
@farmerman,
That description doesn't sound like "Siggi" pie to me. Around here, anyway,
Siggi is rectangular, with a very thick crust, but the edges aren't raised as the
article describes deep-dish and stuffed pizza.
George

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:17 am
@George,
I'm gaining weight just thinking about this.
George

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:24 am
@ossobuco,
I'd have liked to attend that event. I'm more of a stroller myself when
taking in a cityscape. I've definitely got to walk the "magnificent mile"
and that bridge you seem to see in every movie and TV show set in
Chicago.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:27 am
@George,
I'm getting hungry reading the thread.

I think I'm going to Colombo's for arancini as soon as they open. And maybe a square of Sicilian to share with Set.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:30 am
@George,
popcorn! Chicago means popcorn to me - mmmmmm mixed cheddar and caramel corn

http://www.topcorn.net/images/bg/chicago-style.jpg