Chicago-Style Pizza

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:13 am
@George,
Sue! We love Sue.

Might need to get back to Chicago sometime soon. It's a quick and relatively cheap plane trip.

Did you have some Weather when you were there? Several of our recent big storms blew through Chicago first.
George

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:30 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah on the day we went to see Sue in fact. I went with a guy from
Columbus (Canal Winchester, actually) and a guy from SoCal. The sky
got darker and darker as the bus approached the museum. Just as we
got off, the wind gusted incredibly hard and it started to rain. We're
all geezers, but we ran across the street and up the stairs at a pretty
pace!
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 06:32 am
@George,
Derecho!

Were there power outages or anything?

I was out in the "incredibly hard" gusting just before the rain, nearly swept me off my feet. Evidently that happened to some people downtown in the same storm, they were literally lifted into the air, had to grab on to a fence until it subsided. We had ~80mph winds.

Glad you guys were all fine.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 07:04 am
Derecho!
hit Wash DC at 9pm Friday while we were driving by the Washington monument. The barriers set up for the Smithsonian Folk Festival started skidding across constitution Avenue bouncing off cars.
Then as we crossed the 14th st bridge a downpour forced us to pull over. Never seen anything like it.

The next day all the gas pumps were hung with Out Of Order signs and a million customers had no electricity.
We held our memorial for my folks at a friends house, sucking on ice cubes and fanning ourselves in the 105 heat.
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 07:28 am
@panzade,
Memorial for your folks?
panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:59 am
@sozobe,
Well...it's been a rough year. My mom passed away in June'11. I went to Vancouver to bid goodbye...then my dad passed June '12 and we decided to have a memorial for both of them in DC where they lived for 3 decades.

It was very moving to see almost 50 people that were their very good friends for so long a time.
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:00 am
@panzade,
Oh, I'm sorry panzade.
panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:01 am
@sozobe,
appreciate it soz...comes with the territory when you get a little long in the tooth
Eva

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:10 am
@panzade,
True, but that doesn't make it any easier. I'm sorry, panzade. It's a bit of a shock to suddenly realize you're the old folks in the family, isn't it. I went through that a few years back myself.

Hugs to you.
panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@Eva,
Thanks Eva. Weird that it came up on a pizza thread...but then , that's A2K for ya.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:07 pm
@panzade,
Sympathy from here too, Panz.
panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:52 pm
@ossobuco,
thanks buddy..
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:53 pm
So sorry to hear this Panz.
panzade

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 09:20 pm
@George,
You're very gracious George...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 06:32 am
@panzade,
sorry panz. Its hard becoming an orphan. It happened to me when I was in my 40's and the "orphan"part didnt hit until the following holidays when there was an empty chair and I realized that I was suddenly a "patriarch".

panzade

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:27 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks FM. It hit me real hard at Wimbledon and the US Open because my Mom would call me to discuss the days matches.
0 Replies