Do you agree to put on a diaper to your dog?

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 04:40 am
What about your opinions for the queastion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,728 • Replies: 24
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 05:59 am
@space007,
Well it's a good idea to do so if your dog is particularly old and incontinent. I'm not sure it's a good way to house train a puppy.
mismi

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 06:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Yep....I agree Tsars. You do not want to have a puppy that you have to continue to buy diapers for. I am pretty sure a puppy would chew it off anyway and make even more of a mess.
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:53 pm
@space007,
Would never work for my dog...he "likes" himself too much
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFyjchnez8qoCQVXgEdFQUw6bnjRpTSOJL8HTfPfm1dwN7w-tJ
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:28 pm
@space007,
I can't imagine a dog would allow it. Wouldn't they just tear it off?
roger

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:36 pm
@Linkat,
Around here, the Navajo put diapers on rams. Well, not diapers, exactly. They use gunny sacks. It keeps them from unwanted breeding, but they do get kind of smelly, by all reports.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:41 pm
@roger,
Missy is 16 & a half. David has suggested I do this, as she literally jumps out of her bed and does in on the tiles around 6am in the morning, I'm up at 6.30am.

Now I am contemplating getting up earlier, although there is not telling when she will wake. I feel horrible at the thought of putting her to bed with a diaper. I guess I shouldn't but I do. I put a whole lot of newspaper down on the ground by her instead. I just feel for an old girl that's more respectful for her..

I'd have to say no.
roger

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:48 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I agree. No need to humiliate the poor old thing. By the way, it the US, they sell training pads for similar situations. Probably better; definately not cheaper.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 04:00 pm
@roger,
Training pads are simular though? Picture ? Smile
roger

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 04:12 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
LINK

http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/valuepad-600-17x24-20-gram-dog-training-puppy-pads.html?gclid=COLmhujq3bACFQOEhwodbE7J0Q

I meant similar to newspaper, not diapers.
mismi

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 04:33 pm
@roger,
I think those pee pads attract dogs to go to the bathroom on it. Me no likey. I would much rather train mine to go outside. Both my Australian Shepherd and Black Lab go out behind the shed. It's got lots of ivy that grows there and no one goes behind it. I cannot stand stepping in dog doo doo.

But for an older dog I would think the newspapers would do. Diapers just seem like way too much upkeep for me.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 05:25 pm
@roger,
Shirt that much?

Actually, I had some of those, I put on the floor for her but she didn't use them, she may now, not sure... Given she is hitting the newspaper ok...

We have a store called "Cheap as Chips" I think I paid around $10 for a pack ...

That's a good idea Roger, and I can put a piece of newspaper on top as not to "change" things but better absorbed for sure...

[url]http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/CHANDLERSWISH/DAVIDKELSHOUSE069.jpg[url]

[url] http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/CHANDLERSWISH/DAVIDKELSHOUSE041.jpg[url]

Got to show you all the little one Smile Huge photos, sorry.
space007

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:09 am
@Linkat,
I agree so and it may uncomfortable ...Dogs never wear a diaper until we human put it on them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:18 am
@FOUND SOUL,
What a sweetie pie!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:20 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Your Missy looks a lot like my little old dogs. They're having increasing difficulty getting through the night - they're about 15 and 16.

The oldgirldog will use the pee pads in the middle room when she needs to. the oldboydog will have no part of using them and instead wakes Set up at about 4 a.m. most mornings. I wish the oldboydog would use the pee pads - it would be more restful for everyone.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:36 am
@ehBeth,
If a dog leaks you can get beds that are waterproof and don't leak. You can hose them off. This one comes apart for easy cleaning:
http://www.mammothoutlet.com/images/outdoor/outdoor-cordura-bed.JPG

http://www.mammothoutlet.com/outdoor-dog-bed.htm

Those training pads might get an older dog to stop peeing on the floor, but puppies should be trained using crates. Diapers are just useless torture for both pet and owner.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:59 am
@Green Witch,
I have a rubber-backed bassinet liner that goes under the sheepskin the oldboydog sleeps on - it's helpful if he doesn't wake up in time to go out.

The oldgirldog is a bit lazy - she'd rather use the upstairs pee pad than go downstairs and outside once it's bedtime. Given that she's blind and going deaf, and a bit wobbly sometimes, I don't mind her using the pads. Keeps all of us content.

The pads were handy during training a decade+ ago. I wouldn't recommend the diaper approach - the dog never ends up trained.
mismi

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 11:45 am
@ehBeth,
I can see where these would be good for the older dogs. Much better than on the floor or rugs. Whatever works is my motto. I will deal with the older dog stuff and be happy to have the pee pads soon enough I am sure.

I don't want to think about that now though. I will think about it later.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 11:53 am
Our dogs can fart stinkier than your dogs . . .
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 01:45 pm
@Setanta,
You should meet my cat. Low volumn, but ah, the intensity.
0 Replies