Should i buy Led Lamp or CFL?

Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:47 am
I feel confused, should i buy Led Lamp or CFL?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Mon 18 Jun, 2012 05:06 am
@anniekassier,
For which purpose?
0 Replies

paulajackson

Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:28 am
@anniekassier,
You mean inside your house. Then CFL is just fine.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 18 Jun, 2012 08:51 am
@anniekassier,
LED is more expensive, but a lot more efficient.

If you're going to be in the same place for a while, LED makes sense. Provided you can find one that you like the color of; they're working hard to mimic the color balance of incandescent bulbs, but some folks don't like the colors.

The same thing is true of CFL, though.
parados

Mon 18 Jun, 2012 09:58 am
@DrewDad,
LED is comparable to CFL in efficiency. CFLs usually have a warm up time. They come on and then get brighter. Often it's not noticeable but it can be annoying.
LEDs usually have a slight lag time from the time the switch is thrown, about 1/2 second on the latest one I bought.
CFLs are a lot cheaper and come in different color spectrums.

CFLs can be found for less $1 per bulb.
LEDs will cost you $15-25 per bulb.

CFLs are most efficient if turned on and left on for a time period. LEDs don't care how many times you turn them on and off.

You also have to be careful with LEDs because they often claim they are the same as a certain incandescent bulb when they actually are quite a bit dimmer. It's easy to find LED light bulbs online but they are often cheaply manufactured without the brightness they claim. If you stick with those sold by major resellers you should be OK.

I have used the following that I have purchased from Home Depot and am happy with the results. I am currently using one of each kind as will be using more as the CFLs I also am using start to fail.
Ecolight 6" 9.5 watt downlight (works in can lights)
Ecosmart 13watt A19
Phillips AmbientLED 12watt A19
EcoSmart 14-Watt (75W) Soft White (2700K) BR30 LED
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-LED-Light-Bulbs/h_d1/N-bm79Z5yc1v/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&searchNav=true

One other thing about CFLs and LEDs. They lose brightness over time. The lifetime is not when they fail but when they have lost a certain percentage of their lumens.
0 Replies

jonny2

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 06:34 am
@anniekassier,
May i know for which purpose you need to buy?

and

I am using LED and I am satisfy.It is fulfilling my all needs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
I cannot understand why you would want to buy the Canadian Football League. That's not going to be cheap, you know--are you sure you can afford it?
parados

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:01 am
@Setanta,
As was pointed out earlier, the CFL will lose it's brightness and need to be replaced even though it doesn't expend much energy.
Setanta

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:04 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
. . . even though it doesn't expend much energy.

Many Canadian football fans have complained about this in recent years.
0 Replies