Mo broke his foot, still needs to exercise.....

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:33 pm
Today was the first Saturday of summer break, the weather was insanely gorgeous, it finally felt like summer.

And then Mo broke his foot. We spent 3 hours in the ER and it looks like he'll spend the next six weeks with a cast and crutches.

All of his usual summer activities are suddenly gone -- his baseball season is over, the pool is off limits, he won't be able to meet his friends to shoot hoops at the schoolyard, no scooter or bike riding or motorcycle riding. Pretty much no nothing.

The beach? No. The mountains? No. Camping? No. All of our usual summer stuff? Gone.

Mo, who is 11, is extremely physical and athletic. He NEEDS exercise. He's too young to be allowed in the weight room of the gym. (Is there any gym that might give us an exemption?)

Please help me think of some things he can do that will keep him active and healthy over the next month and a half.

Thanks!

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:38 pm
@boomerang,
Oh no, boomerang!
Poor Mo!

Let me think for a bit to see what activity ideas I can come up with.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:40 pm
@boomerang,
Sure hope Mo likes to swim. Forget about the flippers, though.

If I think of something else, even off the wall, I'll get back to you
roger

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:41 pm
@roger,
Oops! I can't recommend swimming with a cast. Same as concrete overshoes, it would get itchy when wet.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:49 pm
Table tennis, fencing, horse back riding, croquet, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, dragon boat racing - he'll need a big garbage bag to cover the cast, wheelchair basketball.
Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 12:36 am
Sorry to hear about this, boomer.

I can think of some activities to keep him busy, but not the kind that would give him exercise. Sorry.

(I thought of kite flying and model building.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 12:53 am
@boomerang,
There are exercise bikes which are powered by your arms as well as feet. You can just hire them here.....but his feet would still need to be on the pedals and would go round and round with them, even when the bike was running from arm power.

Edit...I see on the net things with just pedals, no bike as such, which can be used for arms or legs.
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 01:06 am
@dlowan,
Also wondering if local playgrounds would have swings that he can really work up....use whole body muscles to make it swing, also use arm muscles for holding on.....might also have monkey bars he can swing from while hanging on with his arms? They can both get you tired, and at least he's MOVING.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 05:29 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Table tennis, fencing, horse back riding, croquet, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, dragon boat racing - he'll need a big garbage bag to cover the cast, wheelchair basketball.

We... tennis and fencing require a lot more mobility than Mo can probably manage on a broken foot, but the other suggestions might work.
boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 07:34 am
Thanks, all!

Water anything is out at this point (apparently the stuff they make the splint out of will rot your skin if it gets at all wet) but maybe it won't be so touchy when he gets the regular cast. We'll have to see the orthopedist next week but for now we have explicit instructions to avoid water. He broke it in a weird place so right now we don't even know what kind of cast he'll end up with.

The playground is our best bet, I think, since it will be easier on our wallets. I'll look around to see if I can rent some upper body gym equipment but being outside in the sunshine is what summer is all about.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
djjd62

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 07:40 am
i wonder if anyone rents something like this
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/handcycletrike.jpg
http://www.examiner.com/article/hand-powered-bicycles

cool little article on hand powered bikes
boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 07:47 am
@djjd62,
That's pretty cool! There is a huge system of biking trails very near our house so something like that could be fun!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 07:57 am
@boomerang,
Wait til you talk to the orthopedist before you buy/rent anything. Mo's limitations/options could change dramatically depending on what kind of cast he'll be in longer term and what the ortho recommends.

Ask for a referral to a sports physiotherapist - they should have good options to discuss.

If you were in a community like Toronto, I'd tell you to call Variety Village. They have a lot of programs or people with mobility challenges. They'd put a kid like Mo into a chair and throw him into a pick-up wheelchair basketball game. He'd learn a lot - and his basketball skills would ramp up after the initial frustration of being the worst player on the court.

Why is camping off the books?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 07:59 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Is there any gym that might give us an exemption?

don't you have hospital gyms that allow out-patients?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 08:18 am
@ehBeth,
Great advice, ehBeth, thanks! Neither Mr. B nor I have ever had a broken bone so this is all very new to us. I'll be sure to ask the orthopedist these things. Perhaps the hospital does have some programs and recommendations for keeping kids active under these circumstances.

Camping may still be an option but usually for us it involves the beach and hiking, which would be difficult (and dangerous?) on crutches. We do know a campground where you can rent horses so maybe a camping/horse riding experience would be good.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 08:34 am
@boomerang,
one example of your local resources - ask about a one-off referral to a recreation therapist

http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/en/Hospitals/Locations/Portland/Orthopaedics/ChildLifeAndRecreationTherapy-Ortho.aspx

Quote:
Some of the Services provided by the Recreation Therapist:

Introduction and exploration of all types of leisure activities
Wheelchair sports
Community reintegration
Patient/parent instruction on various adapted equipment use
Assessments and referrals
Provide recreational resources

Cooking/baking groups
Horticulture therapy
Arts and crafts
Animal assisted therapy
Sports and Conditioning Camp for spinal cord Injury patients
Leisure education and making healthy choices during free time
Adapted adventure programs such as rock climbing, cycling, and downhill ski trips
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 09:24 am
@boomerang,

How about a one legged/knee scooter
http://www.KneeWalkerShop.com/?gclid=CKOr94nK1bACFQYKKgodSxrY2Q
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 09:29 am
@boomerang,
The only ideas I've come up with so far will probably result in second trips to the emergency room. (Horseback riding, minibikes)

Hey, how about yoga?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 09:33 am
@snood,
I watched some beginner classes for fencing. It's not as demanding as one might think. There is a lot to learn before a kid is actually lunging and doing complicated footwork.
It's the first few weeks where mobility is the issue, once he's on the mend, trust me, the cast will be more like a big shoe than a painful impediment. Kids heal so quickly and even with the cast on, he'll be dancing around in no time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 10:07 am
@boomerang,
Almost this exact thing happened to sozlet's BFF a couple of years ago. Just as summer break started, she broke her leg.

She had a special thing for her cast that allowed her to go in the pool. Something like this, though I can't swear to the brand.

http://www.waterproofcast.com/

If I remember right, she couldn't do that at first, but she could do it for much of the time she had a cast on. (It was a long time with cast/ crutches for her, I think 10 weeks?)

Also don't discount things that include just walking as opposed to running -- Kay (BFF) got a fair amount of exercise by just hobbling around on her crutches. It was a lot of work, which is both positive and negative. (Tiring, but she also is someone who needs a lot of exercise.)

She also had physical therapy, which was exercise -- weights etc. I don't know all of the details of that, I think it was through the hospital and was covered by insurance.

Some of it she did on-site, some things she was supposed to do at home.

She had a full-leg cast -- she couldn't move her knee at all. So that was really limiting. If Mo can move his knee, there should be more options available to him. I know a few grown-ups who messed up their feet lately, they were still quite mobile. Usually they had a cast and then a boot (more options with a boot).

I agree with ehBeth that you'll probably get a lot more info on this from the doc.

How is Mo doing? Kay found the whole thing really traumatic (there were some circumstances around it that made it extra-bad, though), her mom assumed she'd want friends around but for the first couple of weeks she'd only see sozlet.

Good luck to Mo + hope the recovery is smooth and quick...
0 Replies