Mo broke his foot, still needs to exercise.....

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 02:16 pm
Yes, I'm thinking that after we see the doctor things will be clearer but that could be a week away. I'll be calling tomorrow morning for an appointment but the ER doc told us that the splint has to stay on until there is no swelling.

That swim cover thing looks great, soz. I'll keep that in mind. We spend the summer at the pool. Luckily I hadn't signed up yet for this summer.

He's in good spirits, thanks for asking. He's realizing just how many stairs there are in our house just now and he's a bit frustrated about that. I know he gets moody and depressed when he isn't active and I really want to avoid that.

Those scooter things are cool! Wow. Who thinks this stuff up?

I don't want any more ER visits, that's for sure. I know that we're really lucky that our first visit there wasn't for anything serious. I know he'll be up and about in no time and he won't have any lingering effects. I'm really more worried about his mood than his body.
sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 02:32 pm
@boomerang,
E.G. is heavy into yoga lately, I think there is a lot you can do without stressing a foot too much. And a lot of it is a real workout. I'll ask him if he has any ideas for specifics.

I totally get the need for exercise re: mood, I "prescribed" a day at the pool yesterday because she'd had a weird week that was taken up by a badly-timed, too-far-away, not-very-active camp and she was going a bit stir crazy from lack of intense exercise.

If you hold Mo at the knees (rather than ankles) -- or figure out something he could hook his knees over -- he could probably do sit-ups.

Maybe you could even hold his ankles? Depends on where the break is I guess.

How much do you and Mr. B know about weight lifting? There is always the risk of dropping something on his foot, which would be bad, but Target and such have free weights that you can just buy and use at home.

There are also elastic band things you can buy (Target has these too) for various resistance exercises. You can definitely work up a sweat with those. (Thinking of arms here, mostly.)

He could also do knee pushups -- you know, the ones where your weight is on your knees rather than your feet.

Lots of exercises are from a prone or kneeling position -- I used to do "rovers" for x-country ski exercises, they're brutal:

http://www.female-workout.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/retro-aerobics-03-fiss296-150x150.jpg

Quote:
Start on floor with knees under hips, hands under shoulders and back flat. Keeping head in line with spine, lift left leg to side no higher than hip height, foot flexed (as shown). Do 20 reps. Switch sides; repeat.

Technique tip Tighten abs and keep equal pressure on both hands while lifting leg to avoid tilting from side to side. The payoff? Serious saddlebag erasing.
• Works abs, hips, butt, legs

We had a bunch more variations of this too, I couldn't find anything with the whole set though.

Also laying down on your back and raising your legs until they're just a few inches off of the ground, holding as long as you can stand, then lowering them again. Sounds like nothing, but it's tough!
boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 03:35 pm
@sozobe,
I used to do a lot of weight training (not body building) so I'm pretty familiar with most of the equipment. The club where we swim in the summer has a great weight room that is included in the summer membership but, if I recall correctly, you're supposed to be 13 to use it with parental supervision, and 16 to use it alone. I'm thinking they might grant us an exemption from the age rule if we sign him up with for a few sessions with their trainer. Maybe we can get a doctor's note or something.

I was looking over the notes that got sent home. It's a "metatarsal fracture". Reading up on it I see that there is usually rehab involved. Maybe our insurance will cover our summer membership at the club! They have yoga there too!
sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 03:42 pm
@boomerang,
That's promising! Hope so...

If not there, maybe worth signing him up for some kid's yoga in general? They have a few here for ages 9-11, 12-13, etc.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:18 pm
Chin-ups and pull-ups
(The bars aren't that expensive and can be mounted in a doorway)

Dumbbells~~look on line at the videos
: Curls, French Curls, Hammer Curls, butterflies, Shoulder Presses, Arm Extensions, etc
(All can be done while sitting in a chair)
See if any of your friends will let you borrow the set of weights they aren't using anyway. See if they have an inclined weight bench.

Crunches, leg lifts (the leg with the cast gets extra points.)

Make a chart with how many reps he can do at a particular weight. Graph the progress. He'll be fitter in six weeks than he ever was.

B, my youngest broke his ankle twice in three years,. (Why do they always do it in the last week of school. He was nine the first time, He did weights and Sitting and Lying Positions of Yoga.
By September, he was flexible and really strong. and at full speed on the soccer pitch.

Joe(there was some kind of reward involved about reaching a certain number of crunches, but I forget what it was.)Nation

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:22 pm
Quote:
If you hold Mo at the knees (rather than ankles) -- or figure out something he could hook his knees over -- he could probably do sit-ups.

Nobody does sit-ups anymore, the action of going past six inches of rise doesn't do anything for the abs.
Do crunches.
NO holding the head or pulling on the neck.
0 Replies