Child (painters) Prodigies: legitimately hyped-up art or bait for really gullible/rich art buyers?

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 11:12 am
This topic has been a subject of the famous yet seriously flawed art documentary: My Kid Could Paint That (2007) with the alleged artist, four year old Marla Olmstead.

And now we have, five year old Aelita Andre:
Five-Year-Old Art Prodigy has Second Show in Chelsea
http://blogs.artinfo.com/contrapposto/2012/06/14/five-year-old-art-prodigy-has-second-show-in-chelsea/

There is also another documentary, Catfish (2010), that touches upon a precocious child artist. I won't go into too much detail on this film because this film is easily spoiled and YES it's a great film with a twist ending. It's a MUST SEE documentary.

In the first documentary/case, allegations were flying about whether the child was the actual artist or perhaps a family member happened to create the works.

Granted that even if the given works were created by the respective child prodigy, do their VERY MODERN works truly merit their very expensive price tags and their respective critical acclaim? In terms of the history of child prodigies, can child artists who only work in terms of modern art (nonrepresentational splashy and abstract art) compare to child art prodigies whose skill is based on realist drawings, sculpture, paintings, etc...?

Also, in terms of the history of child prodigies, can modern arts painting children whose work needs to be strictly interpreted by art experts in order that the general public gets "it" be compared to say child prodigies who are musicians or composers where the quality of their work is easier to figure by both art experts and lay public alike?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 5
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 11:20 am
art by elephants: real art or bait for rich art buyers? http://www.elephantartgallery.com/media/1134.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 11:22 am
art by cats, real art or....
 http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/8/811/J3PI000Z/art-print/paintings-by-cats.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 11:27 am
@MontereyJack,
But with the painting elephants, cats, etc..., the people buying into the art tend to know that the art is merely a novelty. And that the relative high price of the art work, is merely going straight to charity (medical bills, food, and shelter maintenance for the upkeep of the elephants or to animal shelters, etc...). Of course, some animal keeper could run this animal as artist racket and pocket the large sums of money (I guarantee not as large an income as the child prodigies are raking in) for their own gluttonous and nefarious purposes.

With child prodigies, the question also entails child exploitation. That the parents are using the hype about the child's alleged art in order to make a lot of money or to sell off art which the artist parent could sell because if the art world knew if came from adults would downgrade the hype on the work and upgrade the criticism to a more suitable, "an adult should have done a 'better job' at painting that" scenario.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 04:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have to say I love her paintings...as far as I can tell from photos on the net.

Her paintings are nothing like those of most little kids....even when they get really messy, they can produce nothing like that.

So, I can't answer your question, but I see more than hype.
Is there evidence the parents are exploiting her?

My cats won't paint, sadly!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 08:42 pm
@dlowan,
Would you pay $7000 to $9000 for one of her paintings? As for this latest prodigy, I have just learned about her and haven't explicitly heard of any parenal exploitation. But keep in mind who is likeliest to control the sales of the paintings as well as the incoming money from said sales.
0 Replies