Brake light won't turn off?

Arideni

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:23 am
1992 Corolla DX. I have to pull the fuse to keep the battery from dying. I thought maybe the pedal just "sticks," but I'm not sure that's the problem. It never turns off.

I checked the BL switch and when I manually push the pedal down and operate the switch with my finger it works correctly. The light turns off, etc.

I've heard it could be a relay or something. I don't know much about the electrical in vehicles or how they are connected--not even sure what a relay is exactl, but I have every intention on learning and fixing this issue myself rather than paying someone.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm putting a lot of work and effort into this vehicle--just bought her and she's only got 109k miles. 5 speed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,836 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:41 am
@Arideni,
"when I manually push the pedal down and operate the switch with my finger it works correctly.'

now you need to adjust it so that the pedal hits it and operates it like your finger...
Arideni

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Well, I did attempt to do that, but I can't seem to break it loose. It appears as if there's a nut in front of and behind the switch. Can't get either to break loose, but I'll see about spraying it with a little Liquid Wrench silicone letting it sit for a while and maybe a flare nut wrench to it.

These flare nut wrenches came in real handy with the fuel filter/line disconnect. I borrowed a couple from my uncle next door, gonna have to buy a metric set now that I see just how useful they can be lol.

If it repositioning it doesn't work, what else would it be? I'll update if I get it resolved. Thanks Smile
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 06:41 pm
@Arideni,
Google your model + "service manual PDF". Here's one I found with a quick search... http://www.filecrop.com/Toyota-Corolla-Repair-Manual.html
Be careful of course, but I downloaded both Bentley manuals for my bimmers... saved me nearly 100 beans.

109k on a '92 is pretty impressive. Extra nod for the 5 speed. I am curious why you're putting a lot of effort in to a corolla though...
Sara Chang

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:22 am
@Arideni,
Hello friends,

There is a switch above the pedal and a plastic holder for the switch. It sounds like that plastic holder for teh switch is broken. Its an easy fix and you can get the part at the dealer and install it yourself. Should be under $10.00.

Best regards
Sara Chang
0 Replies

Arideni

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 10:30 am
@thack45,
She's a nice car like any other Smile though she isn't the coupe I wish I had (got a thing for 3-doors), she's my baby. I also intend on getting into autocross with her.

I fixed the issue--the nub or rubber piece attached to the brake pedal had fallen off and was absent thus the switch was passing through with nothin to push it in when releasing the brake pedal.

$1 for a bolt, six washers, and a nut at the hardware store to fix it. Thanks everyone!
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 12:28 pm
@Arideni,
Interesting. When all the usual suspects are eliminated, you've got to get creative.

Thanks for getting back with this.
0 Replies