I also posted this Q on the MS Internet Explorer newsgroup and the MS Windows Update newsgroup (yes, I know, I'm being impatient). So should you read this post much later than I last posted here, perhaps its better to check whether its been answered there already, so as not to do double work.
In order to run the new anti-virusprogram, I need to have upgraded to IE 6 (I now still have IE 5.0). I went to Windows Update and downloaded the IE 6 Service Pack, but I seem to have gotten caught in a loop trying to install it, always getting the error message:
"Setup could not open the file: 'C:\WINDOWS\IE Setup Log.Txt'."
SPECIFICS / WHAT DID I DO?:
1. I used Windows Update to select and download IE 6, but when it tries to install it, it pops up with the above error message. I can press "Retry" as often as I want, nothing gives. When, alternatively, I press "Cancel", I get this message:
"Setup cannot create the log file: C\WINDOWS\IE Setup Log.Txt"
And when I then press OK (no other choice), it goes back to the install window, quickly finishes and notes:
"Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all applications and try running Setup again."
2. when I do close all applications and restart the computer, Windows Update automatically opens up to finish the installation. It starts to unpack/install, but then again pops up with the same error message: "Setup could not open the file: 'C:\WINDOWS\IE Setup Log.Txt'."
Again, pressing "Retry" doesnt help and this time, if you press "Cancel", you get:
"Setup is not yet complete. If you quit now, the product will not be installed properly. Quit Setup?"
If I say "No", I go back to the error message. If I say "Yes", I again get "Setup cannot create the log file: C\WINDOWS\IE Setup Log.Txt", and then: "Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all applications and try running Setup again."
But if I close all applications and restart the computer, I just go back to step 2. It's a loop.
How do I get out of this, and get IE 6 to install after all?
WHAT DID I ALREADY TRY?
1. If, at any moment of the above-described process I try to click the set-up file for IE 6 separately, I get the message:
"A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close."
2. Following the advice in a related help-file on microsoft.com, I already tried renaming the wininit.ini file, by restarting in MS-Dos mode and running wininit.exe. Didnt help.
3. Following the advice in a related help-file on microsoft.com, I already tried, I already tried emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder and restarting the computer. Didnt help.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated ...