Drive-in theaters 79th anniversary

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:56 pm
Per the Google home page.
I just mentioned that to Wally, and he wistfully said "I miss drive-ins"

Don't they still have them in some places?

What movie(s) do you have the best memories of watching at a drive in?

One of the last ones I remember seeing was Audrey Rose. It came out in 1977.

I think I saw one or 2 after that, but don't remember the names.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,276 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:10 pm
Our drive in was in the movies -

http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/2010/12/facts-of-life-1960-film-locations.html - a movie with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XRrU8-3NmiY/TRuCAsef7CI/AAAAAAAAB0o/WVzAuRw7oXc/s320/DSCN3284.JPG

I never got to drive ins much, once with family and a few times with some girl friends. The Olympic Drive In disappeared in '73.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:14 pm
@chai2,
Never been to a drive-in theater. That aside, the Greyhound bus route running New York to Albuquerque used to go by one somewhere in either Missouri or Oklahoma.

Stanton once commented about the Malta in the Saratoga Springs region; but, then we drank ourselves silly and we didn't bother with that excursion. The last I saw of him, I bummed a pack of cigarettes off him just after Thanksgiving one year. The cigarettes were filterless Pall Mall in the soft pack.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:30 pm
@Sturgis,
Wow, you missed a good thing Sturgis.

When you were a kid, your father would manuver the land boat back and forth until it was the exact right position next to the portable speakers, which you'd then remove from the pole, and hang on the inside of the window. That way, the person in the passenger seat would get it full blast.
Then the adjusting of the volume, getting rid of the static, etc.
Then if you were one of the kids, you'd get out and sit on the roof, or the hood of the car, which would still be warm from the sun.

Some parents would show up with all the kids in their pajamas. We didn't do that, but I thought that was so cool.

Technology progressed and and when I was a teenager out with my friend you could just tune into an am station to hear the movie on your radio. I always worried that would make the battery go dead.

I remember finding the bathroom was an adventure, and when little, would be scared I wouldn't find our car.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:38 pm
@chai2,
My family down state wouldn't have been able to get us to a drive-in as we were car-less and mostly in Manhattan where I can't say if there ever was drive-in. Strangely, I can't recall if there were any out on Satan's Island.

Idle curiosity, looked up the Malta and it still is there.

http://www.maltadrivein.com/

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:48 pm
I remember most seeing The Lillies of the Field with Sidney Poitier. In those days, first run movies were shown in the drive ins, which were often the only large theaters in rural areas. That would have been about 1963.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 08:04 pm
@Setanta,

I dont know why they called it a lobby cause you hadda fight your way through giant bugs and skeeters and it was hot as hell in there. But every drive i had an intermission to hock you with the food
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:40 am
@chai2,
I loved them too! As a kid - yeah sometimes I would wear my pjs. And they had the playground right in front of the big screen. You would plan it out so that you stopped at this one store and got to pick out some snacks to bring. We had that awful cooler you know those styrofoam ones that when you open it, it makes thats sound that causes those horrible shivers - like nails on a chalk board.

You get there early and go play in the playground - meet some new kids and just play for an hour or so. Then go back to the car - eat some sandwiches that you only bring when you go to the drive in. Eat junk food and then watch the great intermission commercials - sometimes go to the snack stand.

Then you fall asleep before the second movie ends - so cool.

As you got to be a teenager - you stopped outside the liquor store - found an older cute boy to buy for you. Then go to the drive in and drink and party with the other teenagers.

Yeah I loved the drive in.
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:42 am
@Linkat,
Oh, and there a handful still out there - unfortunately none close to me. One of the last in my area to close - is now a parking lot for the express bus to the airport. Still has some signs of the old drive-in though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:51 am
When my son was little, I would take him, in his pajamas, to the drive-in. He would sleep on the back seat, and mommy would have a night out. A win-win for all.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I remember most seeing The Lillies of the Field

we wanted to go see the Lillies of the field, but some one had flattened the field and put up a drive-in, go figure
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 03:48 pm
Another native Noo Yawker here. Never been to a drive-in. No car most of the time. And why would we drive when there was a theater around the corner?

I always wanted to go to one. Never had the chance. C'est la vie.
0 Replies