TIGER WON THE MEMORIAL!

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 03:05 am
@farmerman,
Lots of douches around.

Amazing what some people will say and do if they get the opportunity.

You have a right to feel about Tiger...and about gold...the way you do. I apparently like both much more than you.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 03:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Most humans are not perfect, and most of us have done something to be ashamed of during our lifetime that wasn't publicized like Tiger's. I can understand why he lost his head when he did; he really didn't know how to handle the adoration of his fans, and his head got too big for his britches. Gotta forgive the guy; I think he's learned his lesson.

Yup. I agree.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 03:08 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
What kind of physical shape is he in, particularly his back?

I've heard he is okay physically...although the strong swing will probably cause his back to ache a lot when he is older.

His major problem has been between his ears...the source of almost all trouble for golfers. So you can understand why my handicap is so high! Wink
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:28 am
TIGER WON THE MEMORIAL!

must be some Perkin's waitresses gettin' some lovin', good for them
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Here's what I think I've seen with Tiger Woods.

There were always guys on the pro tour who drove the ball as far and putted as well as Tiger. What separated Tiger from the crowd was the shots he was making on the 20% of the shots he was hitting from bad lies, and that involved greater athleticism than the other pros had and amounted to being able to get into more contorted positions comfortably and make good shots out of bad situations.

In other words, the damned game is so difficult that even top pros manage to **** up something like 20% of their shots and Tiger was doing a significantly better job than the others in dealing with that.

Any sort of a back problem of course and that edge would disappear.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 08:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I understand some people may still feel anger toward him

I can't understand why people still feel anger toward him (other than his immediate family). I think it is ridiculous that any golf fan should even care what Tiger did in his free time.

I have never cared about golf, but I am rooting for Tiger now just to shut up the self-righteous people who still feel anger.
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I have never cared about golf, but I am rooting for Tiger now just to shut up the self-righteous people who still feel anger.

completely agree
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:28 am
@maxdancona,
It's an interesting reaction by some posters here; unless an athlete takes physical enhancing drugs that gives them an advantage, I believe we can look at the sport and their best players without otherwise being judgmental.

At least, that's where I'm coming from.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:38 am
Glad to see there are so many people who can separate their enjoyment of watching someone play the game of golf extra good...from concern with how he might be living the private parts of his life.

Tiger fucked up big time, no getting around that. I have at times also. He is paying for his **** up in ways I never had to.

I think he is good for the game of golf...and I enjoy watching him play the way he does.

For the people who think golf is garbage, all I can say is: Professional athletes in just about every major sport consider golf their favorite sport...and look forward to days off (and their off-season) so they can be out on the course.

It is a delightful game...decent exercise...great competition...good camaraderie...and a way to stay away from sitting at the computer all day long.

And Tiger Woods is simply great at the game.

Go, Tige. Win another major!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm confident Tiger will win many more majors. As you stated, he's one of the best golfers of our time; at his age, he has a great chance at becoming the leader.

Even Nicholson said that tough shot he made from the rough was one of the best he's ever seen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 12:23 pm
(I didn't realize until today that this all happened here in Columbus.) (Dublin is one of the close suburbs.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 12:31 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, Sozobe. And it happened in a tournament that very well may be considered a "major" tournament in the not too distant future. When Jack Nichlaus finally sheds this mortal coil, they may promote this tourney to "major" status.

I was an incredible win.

Interesting that you live close to it!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 02:57 pm
I was watching, just by chance, when he hit 'the incredible chipshot'. I almost fell off the sofa. Where's the video?
~
This is just me.
I don't go to movies wondering about the actors' love lives or politics, I go to see the acting.
I don't go to ballgames wondering if the shortstop slept with someone not his wife last night; I go to see just why in hell he's making 16 million a year for stopping a ball with his chest and throwing to second.
The same goes for golf, tennis, football and riding a two-wheeler around France.

~
I am really happy for Tiger Woods.

He's a player.
Joe(He won the US OPEN with a fricking broken leg!)Nation
Thomas

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 05:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
I was watching, just by chance, when he hit 'the incredible chipshot'. I almost fell off the sofa. Where's the video?

What was so incredible about it? Did he hit the ball out of the park? (Obviously I don't know much about golfing.)
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 05:27 pm
@Thomas,
For anyone who's tried to play golf, they come to understands and appreciate the difficulty of what Tiger accomplished with his chip shot. It was a matter of under or over shooting the shot, because of the grade of the green near the hole.

Undershoot, and he'd have a difficult shot with the put, because of the gravity roll that may turn out into a disaster from the miss and roll down the hill. Same for the overshoot that would continue to roll down the hill, and make it a more difficult shot putting up the hill.

Instead, he got it in the hole.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 05:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Anybody see Bubba's loopdeloop shot?

I know, I know, even Nicklaus says that Tiger's chip shot was the best shot he's ever seen.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I couldn't understand your explanation so I just googled "Tiger's chip". This is what I got. And I agree it's incredible. Those who haven't seen it yet: see for yourself! (I took one of the longer videos because they explain the shot before he takes it.)

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:06 pm
Tiger caused droves of people who would otherwise not notice the game to watch and even take up golf. He deserves the attention he got for it. I am thrilled that he is slowly making his comeback. If he wins many more games as he ages, it will be all the more wonderful. I am no golfer, but I have gone out and shot some rounds. It is not an easy game to play.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:11 pm
@Thomas,
That shot looked pretty easy to me. He just hit it and it went in the hole.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:20 pm
Golf is a stupid game, except when you are able to play it. Think about it. You are trying to hit a hard ball with an oddly shaped tomahawk, hit that ball where you want it to go and not just a short way, hit it three football fields away, with those football fields surrounded by sand pits and large undulating trees which are skirted by grass which is too tall for your home mower to cut down.
That's just the first shot.

Joe(anybody seeing golf for the first time must think it's some kind of enormous sick joke. )Nation