Parallel universes

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:07 pm
We will never know how many times we've all been close to death, or even killed, had we taken different paths.

You always have it in your power to admit that you are powerless Ashleigh Brilliant
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 23
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:21 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Powerless?

Well if you board a wrong jet or go down the wrong road or stand under the wrong tree during a storm you can indeed meet your ends by random chance however I been in a few life and death situations in my lifetime where thankfully training and clear thinking save my life.

Random chance is indeed an important player in our fate but hardly the only one.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Powerless?

Well if you board a wrong jet or go down the wrong road or stand under the wrong tree during a storm you can indeed meet your ends by random chance however I been in a few life and death situations in my lifetime where thankfully training and clear thinking save my life.

Random chance is indeed an important player in our fate but hardly the only one.

Clear thinking, training, no, things were happening too fast. More like instinctive survival reflexes
dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:46 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rick I presume by “Parallel Universes” you convey the concept of infinite numbers of near-identical Universes in which any action might be multiplied a trillionfold with only the slightest variations, some of them disastrous

It’s an intriguing idea but going against it, (1) there’s no evidence for it and (2) given two theories the simpler almost always prevails. Another way of saying it, we have to work with what we’ve got

Quote:
More like instinctive survival reflexes
Yes and then there’s Intuition
Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 04:14 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Rick I presume by “Parallel Universes” you convey the concept of infinite numbers of near-identical Universes in which any action might be multiplied a trillionfold with only the slightest variations, some of them disastrous

It’s an intriguing idea but going against it, (1) there’s no evidence for it and (2) given two theories the simpler almost always prevails. Another way of saying it, we have to work with what we’ve got

Of course, but we have to consider the extent of our experience.

Myself, I've crossed the threshold to a parallel world many times-- caused by some kind of survival shock.

When pain or death was eminent there was no fear, only a feeling of detachment. I was a puppet being manipulated. It only lasted a second or too, and when I was back to being myself, on a different path
dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:02 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rick I’m glad you were spared
Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:10 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Of course, but we have to consider the extent of our experience.

Myself, I've crossed the threshold to a parallel world many times-- caused by some kind of survival shock.

When pain or death was eminent there was no fear, only a feeling of detachment. I was a puppet being manipulated. It only lasted a second or too, and when I was back to being myself, on a different path

You always have it in your power to admit that you are powerless. Ashleigh Brilliant
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:36 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Rick I’m glad you were spared

Thanks. It isn't that I seek danger -- other than bowling I am not the physical kind, and it really doesn't take a death threat to detach my awareness. Three earth quakes, three falls, two car crashes.

It isn't just me. Several other people have experienced it too.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 09:36 am
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
Several other people have experienced it too.
In my own case it’s a panic attack. However it lasts only a few seconds
Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 03:47 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
Several other people have experienced it too.

In my own case it’s a panic attack. However it lasts only a few seconds

Panic attacks cause fear, helplessness, and disorientation. Been there, suffered through it many times.

Detached awareness, OTOH, caused by being in a life threatening emergency, also causes helplessness and disorientation, but no FEAR or pain, only a clear realization of what you are doing and thinking.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:51 am
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
Been there, suffered through it many times.
To whatx do you attribute it

Quote:
Detached awareness, OTOH, …….helplessness and disorientation, but no FEAR or pain, only a clear realization…...
It appears you’ve pursued some reading or thinking about it
Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:58 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
Been there, suffered through it many times.
To whatx do you attribute it

Quote:
Detached awareness, OTOH, …….helplessness and disorientation, but no FEAR or pain, only a clear realization…...
It appears you’ve pursued some reading or thinking about it

More about happening to me than reading or thinking about it.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 12:46 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
I see. But I imagine many suffering from the condition have differing feelings. Mine’s creepy, like when the hair stands up
Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 04:01 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
I see. But I imagine many suffering from the condition have differing feelings. Mine’s creepy, like when the hair stands up

Fortunately, the mind doesn't dwell on those kinds of things very long, completely forgets it until it's stimulated again.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:00 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Indeed Rick
However somewhat OT though deserves an OP of its own
Meanwhile what happened to Parallel universes
Rickoshay75

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 01:52 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Indeed Rick

Meanwhile what happened to Parallel universes

No way to tell when you are in a PU, just that you unwittingly, unknowingly took another path --- same house, family, car, friends, and routines.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 02:45 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:

Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Whoo . . .

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

This place is priceless . . .
parados

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 03:00 pm
@Setanta,
Are you sure you aren't talking about the parallel place?
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 03:02 pm
@parados,
When i'm laughin' that hard, i can hardly talk at all . . .
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 10:15 am
@parados,
I’ve participated in a parallel world called “Philosophy Forums”

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/

….but they eventually banned me, as a troll I guess

A2k by contrast is very liberal for having retained me so long