What, in your opinion, makes these cartoons a unique art form? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,039 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:22 am
The fact that they all have small mouths and really big eyes.

Seriously, I think a lot of the anime' style evolved out of laziness/lack of funding (it's much more efficient and cheaper to animate in many cases.) But there are some animators who have applied art to the stereotypical anime style. For example: princess mononoke, FLCL.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 05:06 pm
Aside from the economic considerations, could the use of "small mouths and large eyes" have psychological implications? Cool
0 Replies

Shadowless-Nightmare

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
Personaly I don't give a crap about those little addicting anime shows out for money. And yeah, they are lazy. I'd say FLCL with only six episodes topped Yu-Gi-Oh with over one hundred episodes.
Thats sad. I the small mouths and large eyes is called Chibi. Another form of art expressed through manga. I think its hilarious!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:45 am
Shadow:

Thanks for the info!
0 Replies

Lilith

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 10:24 pm
I actually love it... Maybe because it is diffrent and alot of the stories are unique. People say they are all the same but that is because they watch what they see on tv. It was a cheaper way of getting a story acrossed however in the begin they trying to capitalize off of what Disney started. With the start of Astro Boy you see alot of Disney and American influence in the art form. However recently anime has become more focused on older teens and adults as away of taking a complicated story and creating it as an animated feature instead of a live action feature. I think alot of anime has changed from being low budget to bigger budgets... Examples: Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Ah! My Goddess, Escaflowne the movie and so on.
0 Replies

putridpoems

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 02:57 pm
I totally agree with Shadowless-Nightmare.
And Lilith I like your taste, make sure you check out Hayao Miyazaki's other work like Princess Mononoke.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:47 pm
I agree with portal star, some shows are only anime because it is cheaper to send the stuff to china or japan and have them do the animating. This creates a lot of crap shows that people mistake for anime, thus ruining its reputation!! If you want to see anime, then watch (the new) Metropolis, Chobits, Ghost in the Shell, or Akira. These are actually good shows/movies that are real anime!!

p.s. dont mistake manga with anime. manga is the printed stuff (eg graphic novels) and anime is the stuff that moves (lol) like the shows and movies mentioned above.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:50 pm
and to putridpoems, i absolutely LOVe spirited away, i just wish that disney didn't buy it for the us release (they inserted alot of advertising in it, like the audi symbol on the back of the car in the beginning.)
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:15 am
I hate japanese comics and mangas. Shocked It has no sense. . .
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:39 pm
Thok wrote:
I hate japanese comics and mangas. Shocked It has no sense. . .

well then why are you here??!! Mad Mad Mad Mad
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:06 pm
Thok wrote:
It has no sense. . .

It is only my opinion.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:08 pm
argh srry i was grumpy!! Razz i knew staying @ the keyboard for 4 hours was a bad idea...
0 Replies