All things being equal, would you choose and eat fake chicken over real chicken meat?

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:19 pm
@msolga,
I assumed that all things being equal meant that the health impact was equal.

If that were so, I would prefer not to eat the flesh of animals and would happily accept fake meat.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

All things being equal: taste, texture, and price:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:25 pm
@dlowan,
Oh right. I see.
I just assumed that such a product would automatically require flavourings, etc .... so it would taste like chicken.

If it was a choice only between fake meat & vegetable alternatives ... I'd definitely go with the latter.
Could be just the push I'd need! Wink

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:02 pm
@msolga,
Beth just showed that Tsar doesn't seem to have included equality of healthiness in his parameters. So it seems you were right to be worried about additives and such.
msolga

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:04 pm
@dlowan,
No worries.
I wasn't trying to prove any point.
It's just the first thing that occurred to me: how were they going to make that stuff taste like chicken?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 01:27 am
Can fake chickens fly? Can fake chickens lay eggs? Will fake roosters make a god-awful racket at dawn every day? So many questions . . . inquiring minds want to know!
Thomas

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:22 am
@Setanta,
I have to say the chicken had it coming. Why did it cross the road?
JTT

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:38 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
What would happen? Three weeks later, there would not be a single chicken, turkey, or cow left alive from amongst the newly freed.

You've not been remiss in supplying varying levels of stupidity, Gunga, but this may well be the dumbest yet.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:44 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Olga - seeing how "fake" chicken gets made turns you off? Have you seen how the real chicken patty gets to your plate???

No, I haven't Art.
I'm not sure what a chicken patty is, though.
Sort of a chicken rissole?
If so, would touch one with a barge pole! Wink

I'm glad we can joke about things, but seriously, you understood the question.

I find it odd that people are more turned off by:
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/05/11/meat5.jpg?t=1336769156&s=3
...but somehow are not turned of by:
http://www.exploreveg.org/i/sl-a.gif
http://www.gifflix.com/files/65a3c114e92c.gif
It just says out of touch. Of all the objections that could be offered, I cannot understand this one.

If people like eating meat, then they should just say "I like eating meat, and that's why I eat it," instead of finding elaborate ways to object to a Boca burger's manufacturing.

A
R
T
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:52 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

If people like eating meat, then they should just say "I like eating meat, and that's why I eat it," instead of finding elaborate ways to object to a Boca burger's manufacturing.

I like to eat meat AND I object to all-over processed foods, including faux meats.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:54 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
then they should just

that directive bs is meaningful
failures art

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:06 am
@ehBeth,
Then enjoy your unprocessed steak. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my totally over processed seitan.

"Over processed" seitan recipe:

1 cup vital wheat gluten
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tablespoon soy sauce

1) mix
2) knead
3) separate
4) simmer

I mean, yuck! Look it get's mixed in a bowl! So processed!

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:10 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

failures art wrote:
then they should just

that directive bs is meaningful

I'm just tired of the handwaving. People eat meat out of desire, so let's say so. I'm okay with that. I find it ridiculous to find elaborate justifications beyond that.

People like eating meat. I understand, and accept that. That doesn't mean I should let all vacuous theatrics to dance around that go unchallenged.

A
R
T

Thomas

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:14 am
@failures art,
. . . and if "vital wheat gluten" sounds too processed, you can start with whole-wheat flour, simmer it, knead it, let the starchy parts dissolve into the water, and work with the protein-rich dough that stays behind. That dough, of course, is nothing other than wheat gluten. But anyone can do their own simmering and separating if they object to a factory doing it for them. Seitan is about as processed as your average home-baked cake.
failures art

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:16 am
@Thomas,
I was hoping you'd share your recipe!

A
R
T
Thomas

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:16 am
@failures art,
You did a fine job yourself. Mine is no different than yours.
failures art

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:19 am
@Thomas,
I remember you used a real simple one!

A
R
T
Thomas

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:27 am
@failures art,
Yes. I use your recipe without the soy sauce and the optional yeast. Just gluten meal and vegetable broth. Lately, I have added onion powder and garlic powder, which does make it a little more "processed".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 11:01 am
@failures art,
It's not unnatural, Art, for people to be turned off by unnatural things. That doughy looking stuff isn't a turn off on its own. It looks like dough being fed into a hopper - perfectly natural.That they intend to turn it into something that it ain't is what is the turn off.

Shiokara [salted fermented squid guts] is probably a turn off to most non Japanese despite it being delicious.

I think that a lot of people would be turned off by the slaughter house picture. But that's simply the squeamish feelings of children.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 03:48 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

A
R
T

To me, that's it in a nutshell art.
0 Replies