All things being equal, would you choose and eat fake chicken over real chicken meat?

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:07 am
@farmerman,
There are still good chickens available. Here they cost a fortune. For us, fish is a better value.

I agree that it is silly to make a fake something that tastes like a real something, especially when the real something tastes so much like a fake something.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
All things being equal, would you choose and eat fake chicken over real chicken meat?

Yes.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im amused that we should have to create something that is a fake of something else and then try to convince us that the fake stuff tastes like the REAL thing. WHy not market it on its own merits and not as a "substitute" chicken flavored congealed soy protein with some pea in it.

Can you show some examples of marketing to support that this is the way these products are marketed? Also, not all products use soy.

As I asked before, what is tempeh supposed to be the "fake" of?

A
R
T
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:36 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

The organic-food retailer near my house sells smoked tempeh under the brand Fakin' Bacon. Can you guess what this product is supposed to be a fake of?
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:38 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

failures art wrote:

The organic-food retailer near my house sells smoked tempeh under the brand Fakin' Bacon. Can you guess what this product is supposed to be a fake of?

I have seen this stuff before. I think the funny part is, they try to make it look like bacon. But can I still play the game and I'll guess, cheese?
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:41 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Why would someone eat something that looked and tasted like something they usually would refuse to eat?

Someone who likes the taste of meat, but can't or won't eat it for nonculinary reasons.
failures art

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:43 am
@Thomas,
Huh. I'd have never associated the two. Most recipes I've had with tempeh aren't the type where bacon would have been used otherwise by omnivores.

Is this a specific type of tempeh or just the product branding? Is is cut to look like bacon?

I'm used to seeing tempeh look like this:
http://ecosalon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tempeh.jpg

A
R
T
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:58 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

in the grocery store we were in last night, there were tempeh meatballs, tempeh meatloaf alongside the smoky tempeh strips and tempeh meat sauce

apparently the tempeh meatballs are quite popular in creating tempeh meatball subs

http://www.lightlife.com/images/product_images/tempeh/tempeh_smokystrips_detail.jpghttp://www.karmavore.ca/images/thumbs/sm_prod_bbq_Tempeh_burger.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ugxPH-HjmUE/TUnXVvqJWLI/AAAAAAAAA7Q/xyxgzyZRFgs/s320/smart_wings_buffalo_detail.jpg

I've had some interesting tempeh faux duck at a local restaurant.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:01 am
@Thomas,
Taste is one thing.
But why do they seem to always want the fake meat look like real meat? They put veggie-stuff into a mold and roll it out in strips which had stripes to make it look like bacon. Who's zooming who?

Dunno.
I was a strict ovo-lacto-vegetarian for about five years.
Chapter 722: Me and the yoga-wife learn food combining.

I was always repelled when I walked through the meat section at the grocery store. (OH, the smell of blood.)
I was really repelled by the taste of red meat when I tried it again.
I got over that.

Why did I go back to being an omnivore?

Joe(because 1)I was bored to death and 2)that's what we is, baby.)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:03 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I was a strict ovo-lacto-vegetarian for about five years.
Chapter 722: Me and the yoga-wife learn food combining.

< puts hand up for 1977 - 1981, then 1985 - 1988 (?) >

combining

I can still do it without thinking too hard about it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:41 am
@failures art,
Yes, Fakin' Bacon is cut into long, thin stripes much like bacon. And its color is a reddish brown, presumably from the smoking process. I'm not a huge fan of eating it for its own sake, but it works well in recipes that add bacon for smoky flavor. (Bavarian Krautsalat is the one for which I use it the most, followed by Swedish cabbage stew.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:53 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
But why do they seem to always want the fake meat look like real meat? They put veggie-stuff into a mold and roll it out in strips which had stripes to make it look like bacon. Who's zooming who?

I don't think it's about really fooling yourself. You just have to come close enough to make the modified food fit into your old, omnivorous habit loops. For example, when you sit around a BBQ pit in the park with your friends, what do you really crave? Is it the experience of hanging out and drinking beer together? Is it an excuse for throwing your secret BBQ sauce onto something protein-loaded and stuffing it into a sandwich? Or is it really about the meat? If it's about the former two but not the latter, fake meat will be close enough to the real thing to make the rest of the context work. But veggies probably won't.
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 11:55 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
But can I still play the game and I'll guess, cheese?

Yes we can! (TM)
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:50 pm
@ehBeth,
It seems it can be made into a "fake" of many things. Huh. So are we saying that tempeh is a fake meat, or that it can be manufactured into anything?

A
R
T
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:59 pm
@failures art,
How about fake lobster while using Ritz cracker crumbs as the fake lobster shell?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 02:00 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
or that it can be manufactured into anything?

Steve Martin (in Comedy is Not Pretty) wrote:
See, I have a theory about McDonalds, and that is everything they make is all one thing. And in the back, ya know, that have this big vat, full of this... stuff.

And these little molds come by, and it goes: <squishy sound> hamburger! <squishy sound> malt! <squishy sound> paper box! <squishy sound> here's your change! Thank you!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 02:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Weird how that post made me want to go to Petey's Burgers after work tonight to get a burger and fries.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 02:30 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Or is it really about the meat?

ask Frankie.

I think most often it's about having an excellent hunk of meaty protein.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 02:31 pm
@failures art,
I think what manufacturers are saying is that they can sell more tempeh if people think it feels like meat.
failures art

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 02:45 pm
@DrewDad,
Re: McDonalds.

I think this is frighteningly accurate. That "stuff" is mostly corn syrup.

A
R
That "stuff" is mostly corn syrup.