Albuquerque Ground Zero for Total Solar Eclipse on Sunday

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:31 pm
Ragman mentioned this in another topic so I thought I'd start one for it. If I remember to do so, I'll take some photos of the event.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/environment/abq-ground-zero-for-solar-spectacle

Quote:
Abq ground zero for solar spectacle
Unprotected viewing will damage eyes

Updated: Wednesday, 16 May 2012, 7:13 PM MDT
Published : Wednesday, 16 May 2012, 7:13 PM MDT

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - It's a spectacular event, and the city of Albuquerque has a front row seat.

The moon will move in front of the sun on Sunday blocking it partially, but leaving behind a glorious ring of light in the sky viewable from parts of Asia and the western U.S.

But the band where the phenomenon known as an annular--ring-shaped--eclipse will occur is a narrow one.

Luckily for those in the Duke City, the exact center of the band goes right through Albuquerque's South Valley nearly crossing the Sunport.

"If you go as far north as Santa Fe, the moon is not going to be centered on the sun," said Barry Spletzer with the Albuquerque Astronomical Society. "It's going to be touching the edge of the sun. If you go to Belen you get the same thing."

That central location and small viewing area means Albuquerque is the largest city in the country in the path of the annular eclipse.

The show begins at 6:28 pm on Sunday with the moon sitting completely inside the sun for a little more than four minutes from 7:33 p.m. to 7:37 pm. The eclipse will continue even after the sun has set.

As tempting as it may be, it's a bad idea to stare straight at the eclipse.

"If you stare at the sun on a normal day you'll burn a hole in your retina," Spletzer said. "During the eclipse you'll only burn a donut.

"You'll have permanent eye damage if you stare at the eclipse. That's all there is to it."

While sunglasses don't work either, there are many safe ways to view this solar phenomenon. Options include:

looking through pinhole cameras
telescopes with proper solar filtering
special protective glasses.

Those glasses will be available at several eclipse viewing events this weekend while supplies last.

A wide array of events are being offered Sunday. Bluewater Lake State Park and Bandelier National Monument are two parks offering programs for the eclipse as are Albuquerque's Balloon Museum and Bernalillo County's Parks and Recreation Department .

Albuquerque's Sheraton hotel near the Sunport is offering eclipse weekend packages.

The Albuquerque Convention and Visitors Bureau has a list of local events on a special website.

Here's info on the rest of the locations in the South where it will be prime viewing:

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2012/05/16/nasa-says-solar-eclipse-this-weekend-is-something-to-see/

Quote:
It’s an annular solar eclipse, in which the Moon will cover as much as 94% of the sun. Hundreds of millions of people will be able to witness the event. The eclipse zone stretches from southeast Asia across the Pacific Ocean to western parts of North America.

In the United States, the eclipse begins around 5:30pm PDT. For the next two hours, a Moon-shaped portion of the sun will go into hiding. Greatest coverage occurs around 6:30pm PDT.

Near the center-line of the eclipse, observers will experience something special: the “ring of fire.” As the Moon crosses the sun dead-center, a circular strip or annulus of sunlight will completely surround the dark lunar disk. Visually, the sun has a big black hole in the middle.

The “path of annularity” where this occurs is only about 200 miles wide, but it stretches almost halfway around the world passing many population centers en route: Tokyo, Japan; Medford, Oregon; Chico, California; Reno, Nevada; Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Lubbock, Texas. In those locations the ring of fire phenomenon will be visible for as much as 4 and a half minutes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,873 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
I've lived a life with messed up retinas to start with, likely at birth. Last place I'd look is at this solar eclipse.

I don't mind reading reports later.

Eclipse packages, give me a ******* break.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:32 am
@Butrflynet,
This is an annular eclipse, not a Total. For an observer the difference is huge.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 08:18 am
@rosborne979,
ros beat me to it.
roger

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:03 am
@farmerman,
I don't care if it is an amature eclipse, or not. I just might be there for it.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't care if it is an amature eclipse, or not. I just might be there for it.

I don't mean to downplay the interest of a good partial or annular eclipse and I've seen them both. But I've also seen a Total Solar Eclipse live, in person, on a clear day. And I can tell you from experience that it is breathtaking beyond words, and completely different from anything else I've ever experienced.

Total Solar eclipses are rare and elusive, and due to weather unpredictability you may not even see one even if you try hard and plan. But if you get lucky enough to see one you will never forget it.

The next one for the continental US is in August of 2017. I plan to be at there (Kentucky) at it's geographic midpoint to see it... just hoping for clear weather when it happens.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/ECLIPSE2017_main.HTM

The web site wrote:
We know - lots of you might be thinking, "Wait a minute - I'm pretty sure I saw an eclipse, and it wasn't that long ago!"
You may very well have seen a partial or an annular eclipse, BUT...

In the words of Jim Rosenstock, "If you only think you saw a total eclipse, I promise you - you didn't!"
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 08:01 pm
"This annular eclipse will have the moon covering up most of the sun and it'll appear right in the center from the prime viewing points here in Albuquerque. The moon will enter the sun's path around 6:28 p.m PDT., then by 7:33 p.m. PDT, it will be completely in the center. It's entire time in there will be about four and a half minutes."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
How odd. We're about 30 minutes into the eclipse. It's somewhat darker, but the light is otherwise perfectly natural. What you would expect, I guess, but you don't often see this.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:14 pm
@roger,
the photos I've seen from Japan have been amazing
roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I borrowed a pair of glasses from the neighbor. Moon's maybe halfway across the disk. It looks like there's going to be a lot more of the sun left than just corona.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:24 pm
@roger,
When even a tiny bit of the sun is exposed it completely overwhelms the view and you need special glasses to see it.

One of the things I noticed about the Total eclipse was the suddenness of it. We knew it was happening, right up until the "Diamond Ring" effect, but when the last of the tiny blinding fleck of direct sunshine vanished, the darkness fairly exploded upon us. It happened so fast that you could almost swear it made a sound like thunder, but that's just your mind painting in something to try to match what it sees. In reality the event was silent of course.... except for the sounds of cheering people up and down the beach.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:35 pm
@rosborne979,
a former A2k'r posted this on FB about 15 minutes ago from Phoenix

Quote:
Note to self: next time remember to mention that the eclipse is coming and DO NOT LOOK at it! My caregiver and Dxxx are out sweeping the driveway and I hear Dxxx yelling "MOM!!!!" so I run out and manage to have my senses about me and yell back "Don't look at it!". Yikes, wonder how many people have no idea it was happening today and then looked right at it? It is so very blinding and brilliant right now.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:54 pm
I really envy you guys. Nothing at all here in the Sandwich Islands, just grey skies. I do hope someone posts some magnificents pix.
roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No camera, and not much to post. It kind of coincided with normal twilight, so we went pretty much from sunlight to late dusk much quicker than normal. That was about it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:31 pm
@rosborne979,
There certainly were cheering in front of the Grand Hotel in Bryce Canyon at 7:33.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:46 pm
@roger,
In Albuquerque, for about 30 minutes before the eclipse started, the sunlight here had an eerie quality to it. The only way I can describe it is it looked like a reflected light rather than direct sunlight. I can only surmise that it was the brighter reflection coming off of the moon's surface as it approached the lineup with the sun.

The dogs were a little more goofy than normal. They kept running out the doggie door and back in again to excitedly jump on my lap. Don't know if they were reacting to the difference in sunlight quality or the noise the neighbors down the street were making with their eclipse-watching party.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
This is a slide show of local ABQ photos of the eclipse. Has about 50 images:

http://www.koat.com/ulocal/Annular-solar-eclipse-visible-Sunday-May-20/-/9153368/13445248/-/fc5d9g/-/index.html
roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 09:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
I guess I should have gone to Albuquerque.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 11:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thnx for that link. Trying to browse some decent images now.
0 Replies