Computer problem

Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 07:51 am
@chai2,
if you need a way to get rid of the bicycles, let me know...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 08:48 am
@chai2,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

That 's how Mitt defeated Newt.
chai2 wrote:
I'm reading a book of them now (the Mormans) their history and political activities.

Know thy enemy. Wink
Seriously, Windows will do GOOD WORK for u, for free.

Thay 've helped me out several times.
Thay inspect your entire system
and fix it up. As Tony the Tiger 'd say: "thay 're GREAT!"
Let us know how it turns out.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 10:46 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

if you need a way to get rid of the bicycles, let me know...

I'll work on shredding those white shirts.

Ok, I backed up my data this morning, it's all I had time for before leaving for a job.

I won't be home until around 8pm.
I printed out Drew Dads stuff (no offense to you Krumple, I'll be looking at that too, but he was first)

I'll work on it in bits and pieces.

BTW, this model home I'm at? Good God.
It's got a pool room (I've already knocked some balls around), the master bedroom suite has a connected living room with a fire place, private from the rest of the house, there 2 other living rooms, formal dining, fab kitchen. Upstairs 3 more bedrooms each w/ private full bath, an office. The pool room is upstairs, and it could be a theatre area also.

I could get used to this.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 11:57 am
@chai2,
My rich uncle had a pool room. Or was it a billiard room? Sigh. I was only there a few times, but I still have a visual memory of that. Reminds me of the game Clue.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 12:00 pm
@chai2,
OK, tell me about the model home. What subdivision? What builder? Are there floor plans online that I can drool over?
chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:02 pm
@DrewDad,
It's Plantation Homes, out in Spicewood.

Actually, it was only about 20 miles from my house, maybe 30 minutes.

If this place was in Austin, it would go for a cool million, probably even 1.5

Did I mention the curved staircase that presents itself when you first enter?
When you go up the winding stairs, there's an open walkway that separates the 2 sides of the house. From that, you can see both the front living area, and into the formal dining room, and when you look over the other side, you're looking over the larger living room, that also has a fireplace.

Did I mention there's 2 fireplaces? One in the main living room, and the other in the boudoir that accessessed through double french doors from the master suite.
The master suite has the usual (yawn) shower, closed off wc, but the bathtub/jacuzzi in this one makes it stand out. It's in the corner of the room, and the huge windows are frosted, so you get all the light, but no one can see in. What I love about the tub is that there is an actual step leading into it, so you won't fall and break your neck.

Also, what I like about this particular builder, from the other houses I've worked at, is how they treat the kitchen.
Call me old fashioned, I just can't get behind having this big fancy kitchen, or any kitchen for that matter, totally in view of the rest of the house. If you had even a small mess in there, it makes the rest of the house look like crap.
While the kitchen here is not totally set off as another room, they do create a separation with some pillars, a little distance and the maybe half of the kitchen being set off around a corner. There's a doorway from the back of the kitchen into the dining room, and there is actually a great area where prep work could be done, out of sight mostly. When you turn around from the work area, there's an enclosed pantry. So if you're going to get messy, it would be back there.

heh...a couple of weeks ago shewolf and thor came over to visit me at a different builders house, one that had that really open kitchen into the living room setup. The living room was great, but if you looked to the right, you were looking at the (stainless steel) refridgerator, counters, oven etc. with only a large granite island in between.

Let me think how she said it when she walked in....It was something like..."Oh great, like I really need to have all the stuff going on in the ******* kitchen to spread into the living room."

That's exactly what would happen, especially with kids.
Let me see if I can find some pictures.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:12 pm
@chai2,
Here's a virtual brochure.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/d048a13c#/d048a13c/1
DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 03:39 pm
@chai2,
Nice.

Too bad it's 1/2 way to Marble Falls...
chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 04:06 pm
@DrewDad,
You know what's funny?
I don't feel isolated out here at all.

My home is basically on Lamar and Oltorf. I took Lamar to 290/71 West, beared left at the "Y" in Convict Hill, staying on 71W, and I was there in less than 30 minutes total.
You pass by the end of Bee Caves Rd where they have that new galleria, and there were all sorts of stuff like HEB, Starbucks, etc. that one needs.
And it sure is pretty out here. It's in the hills. I'm looking out the 2nd floor right now, and it's Beautiful. When I got here today, the cleaning crew was here, and one of the women said she lived in Leander.

Now, I don't know where you live DD, so sorry if I'm going to talk about your neck of the woods.....But I think Pflugerville and Manor are the most heinous places....all flat, just ass ugly IMO.

That's just me, I don't like North Austin much, it reminds me too much of S. Fla...all generic stores and ****.
Cedar Park I guess has nice areas, but I don't think it's great, Same w/ Leander.
This place is out a ways, but it doesn't really feel like you're out of touch.

I like where I live, I've got easy access to Mopac, I'm near Zilker Park and Barton Springs, and Peter Pan Mini Golf.

This place is WAY too big for me. It's just that I can picture it decorated inside for Christmas or Thanksgiving, and giving really nice parties. It's nice and big if you have maybe 3 kids, or more.

This is making me think of question I have for others...I'll start another thread.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 04:32 pm
@chai2,
Didn't realize you'd bought a new place. Or are you renting?

It's just a long way from the girls' school.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:13 pm
@DrewDad,
No, I've always lived there. On Hether St., between Lamar and Bluebonnet.

Where did you think I lived?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 06:51 am
@Irishk,
do this
Quote:
My default steps would be to restart Windows in safe mode with internet access. Then attempt to run malwarebytes (usually will catch and quarantine it). If that didn't work, google the name of the suspected virus (MS Security Essentials Virus) and follow removal steps.
0 Replies

Tommya

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:49 pm
@chai2,
You can try antivirus osftware like AVG,Avast,Comodo,Kaspersky etc.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:19 am
@Tommya,
Microsoft has a pretty good tool, now, called Windows Defender Offline.

They really need a tutorial on creating a bootable USB, though.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
[You can't be paranoid enough on the internet.

/quote]

It's not paranoia if they are really after you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 10:22 am
My wife's laptop recently came down with malware that shut down Windows Security Essentials. I was able to do a System Restore, and it seems to have gotten rid of the malware.

Also, at work about ten computers came down with the sirefef trojan. I read up on this malware and found that, among other things, it also shuts down a computer's antivirus. Microsoft recommends doing a complete reinstall of Windows because of the severity of the threat posed by this trojan.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32%2FSirefef

This may be what infected my wife's laptop as well, but so far, it seems to be behaving normally, and WSE reports no infections after several full scans.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 11:33 am
@InfraBlue,
Download and burn the following software to a CD from Microsoft. I think they now call it stand alone defender it use to be call system sweeper.

This program boot from the CD not the hard drive so no matter how must your Window OS is control of the malware it does not matter the malware can not use the OS to hide from the anti-virus program.

0 Replies