Why Do Atheists and Agnostics Frequent This Forum???

caprice

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:06 am
willow_tl wrote:
Maybe the Muslims and the Buddhists see no need to argue for their faith....or convert others? just guessing...:-))

It isn't that I didn't consider that, but it seems more logical that there are fewer as members. Many of the members here (most?) are from westernized countries where those religions are represented in fewer numbers. It would make sense that smaller percentage is reflected in the members of this site.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:07 am
Terry wrote:
According to a Harris poll, the higher the education level, the less likely people are to believe in God. 92% of those with high school or less but only 85% of those with post grad education believe in God.

Religious beliefs of Americans 2003 poll

You're equating intelligence with education. That isn't always the case! Razz

But that's another thread for another forum. Very Happy
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:11 am
The lack of buddhists and muslims may account for some of it Caprice, but i really feel Christians have this need and desire to spread their gospel and their religion as being the one "true" faith...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:13 am
That explains the Christians...but not so much the other. Sure they may not be as vocal...but I would think you can't just say that's all it is.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:34 am
caprice wrote:
Terry wrote:
I can counter some of the lies and misconceptions that are the basis of Christianity and other theistic religions.

That's a pretty bold statement to make. I'd like to see you explain how lies and misconceptions are the basis of these religions.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you like we can discuss it on another one:

Are lies and misconceptions the basis of Christianity?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:41 am
caprice wrote:
You're equating intelligence with education. That isn't always the case! Razz

No, but there is certainly a correlation. Smile

A poll of scientists found that

Quote:
Disbelief in God and immortality among NAS biological scientists was 65.2% and 69.0%, respectively, and among NAS physical scientists it was 79.0% and 76.3%. Most of the rest were agnostics on both issues, with few believers. We found the highest percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality).

Leading Scientists Still Reject God
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:14 am
caprice wrote:
Wilso wrote:
roverroad wrote:
The atheists would stay out of that forum but the Christians would still bombard the atheist forum.

Because it's basically our only avenue. Atheist/agnostics don't knock on peoples' doors at all ours of the day and night to tell them that they won't be going to hell.

Don't you think that's a blanket statement to make about Christians?

I never set out to make a blanket statement. But there is one I'll make. Atheists DO NOT knock on peoples' doors at all hours and tell them that they won't be going to hell. Certain religious groups certainly do.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:14 pm
http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/cargo%20businessman.JPG
0 Replies