Why Do Atheists and Agnostics Frequent This Forum???

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:12 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,696 • Replies: 47
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:23 pm
Why not? Rolling Eyes

It's because this site has a lot of intelligent people.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:26 pm
Yeah, why not? Atheism and Agnosticism are both views about G-d. What better place to discuss views about g-d and religion than in a religion forum?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:28 pm
People will argue these things as long as there are people, and most just issue retreads of their basic positions, but it is cathartic and a few of us pick up a few pointers along the way.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:32 pm
I used to run a site that had a religion forum in it. The christians on the forums started to get so upset over the atheist views on the board that I decided to try adding a bible study forum. The atheists would stay out of that forum but the Christians would still bombard the atheist forum. You can't win for loosing. You just have to accept it if you want to talk about religion. If there were only one religion, "Mine" life would be so much easier.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:48 pm
Possibly you think we shouldn't be here?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:07 am
I'm not much on debating these issues, but the arguments continue daily. Stick around and you may, or may not find the answer to your question.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:29 am
Everyone here has their own opinions.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:04 am
I think that in a religion and spirituality forum, there is room for all schools of thought, whether a person is a theist, agnostic, or atheist.

Nowadays, in the US, religion has become tightly interwoven with politics, and daily life. It's ramifications affect both believers and non-believers. Therefore it is, IMO, incumbent on non-believers to be heard.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:53 am
I suspect it is because religion, like politics, is an incredibly interesting subject to discuss.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:41 am
Because it's a debate forum, which would be rather pointless if only theists were welcome.

I am here because I enjoy a good argument, I learn much by reading opposing viewpoints and defending my own, and I can counter some of the lies and misconceptions that are the basis of Christianity and other theistic religions.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:57 am
Because everyone feels their beliefs are the correct beliefs and can not understand how others can not believe the same way they do. They then want to explain their beliefs in order to "convert" them or so they can at least understand a different perspective.
It's the same reason we have religious forums at all. If everyone had the same beliefs, what would be the point of discussion/debate?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:15 am
Well, I'm here because this site has yet to offer a cargo cult forum, so I'm stuck here with all you heathens.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:16 am
Interesting question.

When I look at the name of the forum, I see Spirituality and Religion. Which looks like a classic Debate 101 topic. So, everyone who has an interest in either religion or spirituality, and wants to debate either or both has a place in the forum.

My personal interest is mostly in how spirituality led/leads to religious organization. Not so much in the current thinking/politics of specific faiths. I sometimes look in to see if there is any interesting research being shared (usually if I see hobitbob has posted, as he is very knowledgeable in this area).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:16 am
an equally non-relevant question is "why do blonds and redheads frequent this forum?"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:21 am
I don't think that's right, dys. I can appreciate that someone who has a strong religious faith might not understand why someone who says they are not religious, does not believe in God/gods, or is not sure if there is/are God/gods would be interested in a religion forum.

It would be like wondering why a vegetarian has signed up for a course on bbq'ing beef. That would seem odd to me as well. The vegetarian might have a reason for being there, but I'd probably ask them about it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:22 am
It seems to me that the atheists and agnostics only occasion this forum and that the Godniks and Jesuszoids are the ones frequenting it.

I have also noticed that Muslims are rarely visit and Buddhists are seemingly non-existent.

Why is that, I wonder...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:56 am
Sorry about that, joe. Cargo cults have been mostly outlawed in the very islands that spawned them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:53 pm
I've even built straw airplane idols to attract more cargo planes to no avail. They don't come anymore.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:13 pm
Have you considered wearing cargo pants to raise your profile?
0 Replies