US denies officials relayed threats from authorities?

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 08:16 pm
The meaning of the title is quite confusing:

In " US denies officials relayed threats from authorities",
1) officials = Chinese officials?
2) relayed threats = repeated threats?
3 authorities = Chinese authorities?

Context:
Chen Guangcheng's US-brokered deal unravels after leaving embassyChinese activist now pleads for help to leave China with family as US denies officials relayed threats from authorities
More:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/02/chen-guangcheng-us-brokered-deal
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 661 • Replies: 8
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 08:31 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The meaning of the title is quite confusing:

In " US denies officials relayed threats from authorities",
1) officials = Chinese officials?
2) relayed threats = repeated threats?
3 authorities = Chinese authorities?

Context:
Chen Guangcheng's US-brokered deal unravels after leaving embassyChinese activist now pleads for help to leave China with family as US denies officials relayed threats from authorities
More:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/02/chen-guangcheng-us-brokered-deal

Well, the subtitle's ambiguity is dissipated by the report text:

Quote:
Chen said he never asked to leave China in his six days at the mission, which followed his incredible escape from a brutal 19-month regime of illegal house arrest. But he said he only left the embassy because US officials told him Chinese authorities would send his wife and children back to their home province – where they have been watched around the clock and harassed by a team of 100 guards – if he remained inside. He added that, at one point, an American official told him his wife would have been beaten to death – a claim denied by the US.

So "US denies officials relayed threats from authorities" is referring to "US denies American officials repeated threats from Chinese authorities".
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 08:54 pm
@oristarA,
1) Officials= U.S. officials
2) relayed threats = passed on the threats made by Chinese officials
3) authorities = Chinese authorities
oristarA

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 09:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 09:13 pm
@oristarA,

I wonder whether you guys could recognize "authorities" as "American authorities" or "Chinese authorities" at the glance of the title:

Chen Guangcheng's US-brokered deal unravels after leaving embassy
Chinese activist now pleads for help to leave China with family as US denies officials relayed threats from authorities
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 09:34 pm
@oristarA,
hmmm...
seems pretty plain to me that Chinese authorities are meant here. But I agree that the headline is somewhat ambiguous. It's undertsandable only because of the context, not independently.
contrex

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:08 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I agree that the headline is somewhat ambiguous. It's understandable only because of the context

... a context which every reader is likely to be aware of, except for those who have just go back from a visit to the Moon, in which case they can remedy the deficiency by reading the article underneath the allegedly "ambiguous" headline. Headline writers lack space and value brevity.
oristarA

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:13 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I agree that the headline is somewhat ambiguous. It's understandable only because of the context

... a context which every reader is likely to be aware of, except for those who have just go back from a visit to the Moon, in which case they can remedy the deficiency by reading the article underneath the allegedly "ambiguous" headline. Headline writers lack space and value brevity.

That makes sense and also reveals the fact that you have been tracking such news for quite a while.
That's why you got the true meaning of "authorities" at a glance, Contrex.
contrex

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 10:56 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
That makes sense and also reveals the fact that you have been tracking such news for quite a while.
That's why you got the true meaning of "authorities" at a glance, Contrex.

No, I merely understand that in the context of a refugee, a citizen of country A, seeking protection in the embassy of country B in the capital of country A, the word "authorities" is likely to refer to the government of country A.

0 Replies