caprice

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:01 pm
I haven't read it. As someone else pointed out, the capital letters make it a little more awkward to read. (There is the quote function which would have highlighted it much more nicely I think.) And it is soooo long. And most importantly of all, you didn't adequately state your source. You are new here. You are, more or less, expecting readers here to trust that your assessment of your source is valid. Anyone can post here, anyone can make whatever claims they like. If you gave more details, it might (or might not, depending on the situation) be taken more seriously.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:24 pm
well i did provide a link that revealed the source exactly....
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
Which link was that? The first one (which was removed) or the second one?
0 Replies

micah

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 11:32 pm
the second one....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:47 am
Now I know why you sem so obtuse on the penitence thread. You're insane!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:39 am
micah wrote:
Historians such as Josephus (c.37-110 AD), Ignatius (c.50-115 AD), Justin Martyr (c.100-165 AD) and Tertullian (c.160-220 AD) were convinced of the authenticity of the resurrection. Their writings validate the accounts of the Gospel writers, who, according to leading biblical scholarship, recorded the event as soon as 37 AD and no later than 64 AD. In addition, other first and second century historians including Cornelius Tacitus, Suetonius, Plinius Secundus, and Lucian of Samosata acknowledged the impact this incredible event had on the people of the time.

After he rose from the dead, Jesus appeared at least ten times to those who had known him and to as many as 500 people at one time. These appearances were not hallucinations; Jesus ate and talked with his followers and they touched his resurrected body.

Luke 24: 14, 36: Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but Him they did not see." ... While they were still talking about this, Jesus Himself stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you."

I Corinthians 15: 3-7: For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day acording to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, He appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

So your knowledge is based entirely on five christian writers. That is evidence outside of the bible, good.

I wonder how many writers I could turn up who explained events otherwise? Are five Christian writers a two thousand years ago enough to base your entire life upon?
I see my evidence against the reality of the bible as the world around me - it doesn't work the way the bible describes it to work. Also, historians account of Christianity and the church's account of christianity are two different things. I trust historians, who are much less likely to be biased.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:42 am
micah wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
Let's even go further to say that these people were right - Jesus died, then became alive again (this happens in many religions, epic hero stories.) How would this be conclusive evidence that Jesus was g-d, and also the son of g-d?

it's not just the fact that he was raised from the dead, it's also the specific old testament prophecies that could not have been self-fulfilling or lucky..

Jesus, split history in two and essentially converted the romans....

Paul, who wrote 2/3 of the new testament was a jew and a persecuter of Christians....it's not out of the realm of possibility that Paul may have even killed Christians before his conversion...only God himself could've converted Paul....

Why could they have not been self-fulfilling?
If they actually happened - we have five sources four of which are posthumus - why could it not have been lucky?
Jesus didn't convince the romans, Constantine did when he changed the laws to favor them - Christianity before that was a bunch of cults and mystery cults (and the emperor decided which parts of the bible he liked, left others out.)
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:44 am
micah wrote:
Portal Star wrote:

Let's assume there were people who testified historically seeing him after death (resurrection.) This does not immediately point to Jesus being g-d

it's not just the fact that people testified....they testified to the DEATH....knowing they would be killed, they still tesified....these were common every-day people....not people who had a history of following radical groups.....every-day people, saw Jesus, after his death....they knew He must have been God and so they gave their lives..do you not know that it was these very martyrs who helped jump start the church...because not much is more convincing that having your head chopped off for what you believe....obviously, even the Romans were convinced....

Terrorists believe in g-d so strongly that they are willing to blow themselves up for what they think he wants. That doesn't mean their g-d really exists, and it doesn't mean the Christian g-d really exists.

Is it at all possible for these people to be wrong?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:47 am
Josephus was a Jewish historian. He did not write in support of the resurrection. He wrote (in a passage that may have been insereted later by Christians) that there was a man called Jesus who was crucified for political reasons. Nothing about resurrection. He probably worte in the later periods of his life, so Micahs comments about his writing soon after it happened are about as accurate as the rest of his statements. I know of very few infants who produce histories. Ignatius, Justin and Tertulian are among the group commonly referred to as the "Church Fathers." They are not historians, even in the Classical sense of the word. I'm suprised he didn't mention Pliny the younger, who mentions the follwers of a man called Jesus. I guess that's what happens when you use the net as your main source of information.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:48 am
hobitbob wrote:
Now I know why you sem so obtuse on the penitence thread. You're insane!

Yeah, that's why I thought he was in a cult. I'm putting my money on dramatic life-changing event which is making him that way. Like, repressed thought and utter belief because someone close to him was killed in a horrible way or somthing like that. And there is always insanity, not caused by anything specifically.

I've given up on thinking he was kidding or doing an experiment. He is too serious and persistent.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:13 pm
Hobitbob, Micah is simply coping & pasting this misinformation from other sites. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:19 pm
I think you're right. And that would explain why I thought he could write sometimes but not others, and why he doesn't know how to converse.

Maybe he is a religious chat bot ! Shocked
0 Replies

pjnbarb

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:01 pm
Salesman
He sounds like an Amway salesman .. and that's about the lowest form of life.

Is Able2Know meant to be a medium for proseltysing?
0 Replies