Problem with Mitsu Big Screen

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:14 pm
I have a 10-year old 40" Mits that is having problems at power on. What was happening is that when turned on, the right speaker would POP then make a "woowoowoowoowoo" subwoofer noise, damped, that would slowly go away. It was pretty dramatic. Then one day it stopped. I thought great - it fixed itself. Took me about two weeks to realize I was only listening to one speaker - the right was blown.

So, I hooked up a pair of Bose 201's externally, and the noise is back. So, I've started switching back to internal speaker before I turn it off. Then I wait until it warms up before switching to the external speakers. NOTE: This sound happens no matter what the volume level is.

Anyone else had a boob tube do this? Is it worth fixing or should I just save my money towards a new HDTV?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,026 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:43 pm
The most expensive part of any television is the CRT (cathode ray tube)--the "picture tube." As long as that is functioning properly, it might be worth your while to take this to a stereo repair shop to see if the sound problems might be solved. BTW, ten years on a CRT these days is nothing, you can expect a good long life out of this unit if there are no other major system failures.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:56 pm
From the description you give it sounds like you've lost a component in the audio amp and the pop is a power surge at power on which then tapers off as a capacitor charges up.

I'd take it to a repair shop and have them give you an estimate anyway. They'll probably charge you $40 for the estimate but IMO it would be worth it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:04 pm
Thanks folks. By the way, the TV is rear projection, not a CRT. It is too large to take anywhere, a housecall would be in order.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:04 pm
You could bypass the internal amplification and output into an external amp (don't use your internal amp or speakers). The repair may not be worth it if you want better sound through your stereo system.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:46 pm
I don't think the TV has RCA stereo out plugs. Good thought though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:47 pm
Someone on another forum suggested I had one of the three stooges stuck inside my set. He said I should "...slap the sh-t out of the TV and it should be fine. Nyuk nyuk nyuk."
0 Replies