Pencil Artwork

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:55 am
Pencil sketching artwork is the only type of art I can ever do... So I'm making full use of that little talent... I don't have a lot of artwork scanned, and even if I do, the quality of the scanning is crap... anyway, I hope it's seeable and appreciatable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,211 • Replies: 12
No top replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:57 am
http://www.mm2x.com/public/jp/artworkcarm1.jpg
http://www.mm2x.com/public/jp/artworkcarm2.jpg
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
http://www.mm2x.com/public/jp/artworkcarm3.jpg http://www.mm2x.com/public/jp/artworkcarm4.jpg
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:14 am
how big are they?

I like the fact that you have cut the paper into shapes that work with your lines. You have created nice flowing lines and organic shapes/feel ... but i feel they are the beginning of something not yet resolved.

How do you plan to develop them? they are worth continuing and resolving.

Have you tried drawing on a large scale with charcoal? it would suit the kind of marks you appear to like to make and increase the tonal range and variety.

I hope these remarks are helpful.
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:41 pm
Well they are pretty small, about the half size of my palm. I had to cut it into pieces because I draw them on a larger pieces of papers, and drew a few on the same piece, so I sorta did a devider and cut them out. I left them undone because I don't know how to continue and I'm afraid I'll spoil the whole thing. I'd love to work with charcoal, but I'm more of an ametuer. In fact, the pencil I use are nothing more special than the normal ones I use in school. I'd love to be able to improve, maybe with more 'equipments' and techniques. I'm learning, and I hope I'll get some pointers here. Thanks!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 01:26 pm
You talk about the normal pencils you use in school - are you still at school? do you do art classes?
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:29 am
Yes, I'm still in school. And I don't take art classes because I'm forced into the pure science stream, meaning, no arts subjects... But I do join the art club! I love it! But basically, we're doing nothing... yet... I know the teacher pretty well, because he lives in my neighbourhood. Maybe I can talk to him about what he can help with my arts... But I don't how to say... I know he's really good at it. He even has an art shop. So yea, what should I say to him?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
ask this teacher for some basic advice on materials and project to start you off and if he will be prepared to give you some feedback on what you do.

Tell him you are serious about wanting to progress and take on board any criticism or advice without feeling dashed down - it is a very exposed form of learning is painting! If you do a bad essay no one knows but you and your tutor, but ... a painting... everyone can see! You need to realise that there is no failure- only learning.

It is really good that you want to remain balanced with arts still a part of your life Very Happy

If you post your drawings/paintings here then we will give advice and help - you can always pm me if i don't notice your post.

i teach painting to adults and am a painter.There are many other painters here who may be prepared to advise you.

My advice, for what it's worth is to consider what subjects interest you - landscape? people? flowers? still life objects? abstract?

now if you say abstract i will advice that you still need sound underlying drawing and observational skills to underpin and strengthen your work and ensure that it isn't just pretty patterns, 'cos abstraction is about a lot more than that.

Draw/paint what interests you, because that interest will filter through into the finished work.

Water based media like acrylics or gouache are good to start with as they are quite versatile.

Larger sheets of paper are important - don't limit yourself to small pieces.

Charcoal is a wonderful medium to draw with as it makes intense dark lines or smudged soft shadow/tonal areas. I love it.

I hope this some help in getting you started.

How are you with perspective???
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
Wow, that's like the most meaningful thing I've received from anyone about my art. To answer your first question, I'm really into abstract subjects because I can't seem to, say, draw a face (because it'll turn out into a really bad picasso-shape).

And also, sorry I might sound too ametuerish but I can't understand some 'art jargon'... I realise what abstraction is, but I am naturally a very cautious person, and always frown at my (and only mine) imperfection.

And honestly, I stick with pencils because I feel more confident with it since I can erase my mistakes... I don't know if that is even necessary. But now, I prefer to not have an eraser around and when I make mistakes I just sorta make shades over it and twist it or something. So that it'll cover it, or unmistake it or something... But I really love some water based media. I really really love those. I use to play with those water colours and make all sorts of shapes on a big piece of paper, with black and red colours and then feel so proud of it. Very Happy Boy, those memories...

I try to work with larger sheets of papers, but when I do, it always seem to be too... rough, and unfine... When it's small, it looks more discreet, more 'full' and unplain. I really don't know how to do a larger scale work without it looking really really empty. Maybe some suggestions?

I really really love charcoal too! But I don't know if there is any special type of charcoal needed to use for arts? Or do I just use any other charcoal, like those used for barbeque?

I really love experimenting with new stuff, new techniques etc. But like I say, I'm cautious cus I don't want to upset myself... Ah well, I even try to make little mistakes just so I can think of how to handle it, maybe fixing it. I think I'm doing well with it. It just sucks to see something pretty *cough* suddenly turn ugly just because of the wrong stroke of the pencil... Well I'm new, I can't help it hehe... Maybe I'll be more easy about it once I have more exposure towards it.

Hey thank you for helping. I really appreciate it! And I still need some more help, I guess. Thanks again! I have another I'm planning to put up. Maybe you'll want to say something about those too. It's pretty much the same technique though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:22 pm
I'd like to come back and comment here too, but busy tonight. Will try to post tomorrow, my point being that science and art aren't antithetical, they can riff off of each other.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:10 pm
very true osso.

carmilliadrian - just keep experimenting and you are right to not erase but change and adapt and work around until the image does what you want.

Charcoal - you need to buy it from the art shop. It is fairly easily erased until it is 'fixed' with a fixative (expensive) or hairspray which would do you fine! you can just brush your hand across it to virtually erase marks, very flexible and you can alter and push and pull the image around as you work towards the image you want. Charcoal pencils are hard and not at all the same.

Abstract is a deep subject and takes a lot of understanding beyond the obvious attractive non-representative stage. You could do some reading about some of the abstract artists you like - you could start with Rothko, Jackson Pollock etc

I'm glad you found my waffling helpful! I'm sure the other artists will be very helpful when they find this thread. Osso knows a lot and will come back with some really useful stuff i know.
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:48 am
You are really really helpful Vivien. I really learn a lot in just a few post from you.

Actually, I live in a small town. There is no art shop or anything here. There should be some in the city though, and I go there every week. Maybe I should start experimenting with charcoal soon.

I've never done any reading about any artists, so I'm going to do that now (haha). *starts googling*

I really do appreciate your help. Very Happy I think my understanding towards arts is more widen now thanks to you.

Best wishes, as always.
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:00 am
http://www.mm2x.com/public/jp/artworkcarm5.jpg
0 Replies