Weird email thing

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:44 pm
I get this email address build-up in email exchanges I have with one particular friend. The links to the reciever and sender's email addresses in the To: and From: fields multiply like crazy. So that by the time we exchange several rounds of brief emails, the mail size is upwards of 500KB when it should be around 50KB. Anyone know why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,085 • Replies: 38
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:53 pm
Does it not make sense? Need more info?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:37 am
I'm PMing you my email addy. Send it to me. . . maybe I can figure something out.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:40 am
It just occured to me that it might be personal. . . so here goes a possible explanation w/o seeing it.

When you email back and forth, the emails compile much like this thread. Response on top of response on top of response. Now, there's more to an email than just the to: from: date: subject: and the body. There's embedded routing information, as well. These are called 'headers' and are used by the email programs so that they know how to route the email.

The information in these headers can be quite a bit, and it sounds like maybe that heading info isn't being stripped out on each message. I always thought that only the latest heading info was kept. It could be this, or it could just be the fact that you keep going back and for and back and forth and have actually compiled up 500k of emails. My wife and I have done it when I worked at a place and couldn't IM her, just email.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:34 am
Turner thanks for the offer. The thing is that it only happens with this one friend. I have other friends that I email back and forward with..... I'll try an experiment.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:55 am
It could be that particular email is 'corrupted.' I would just start a new conversation with the person and go on your merry way.

By now, tho, I'm grasping at straws. I'm very much a part of the 'reboot it to fix it' mindset. While rebooting won't help this issue, starting over probably would.

Curious: Is it just this one email converstation, or all emails with this person?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 10:04 am
It's all emails with this person. We've started new threads before. My initial thought was that he had some sort of virus.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:14 am
Sounds to me like the friend's email settings are such that all responses are included in an attachment.

Is that what's happening? Large attachments of nested emails?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:26 pm
Here's a normal email exchange between 2 people with hotmail:

Quote:
and what exactly are you hoping to do?
is it the same for both you and he or is it one of you not the other?

----Original Message Follows----
To: email link, email link
Subject: RE: test email thread
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:08:19 -0500

you see where the email links are? in the to:/from: fields? they build up and make shortish email threads really big.

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:42:33 -0800

What's the problem you're having?

Subject: test email thread
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:08:20 -0500

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my emails with Bruce. Can we have an email thread where we don't delete the To: and From: info between exchanges? Do you know what I mean?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:30 pm
Here's what the messed up exchange looks like:

Quote:
and what exactly are you hoping to do?
is it the same for both you and he or is it one of you not the other?

To: email link, email link, email link, email link
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:08:19 -0500

you see where the email links are? in the to:/from: fields? they build up and make shortish email threads really big.

From: "Johnny Fabulous" <email link> "Johnny Fabulous" <email link> "Johnny Fabulous" <email link>
To: email link, email link, email link, email link, email link, email link
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:42:33 -0800

What's the problem you're having?

From: "Kris _" <email link> "Kris _" <email link> "Kris _" <email link> "Kris _" <email link> "Kris _" <email link>
To: email link, email link, email link, email link, email link, email link, email link, email link
Subject: test email thread
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:08:20 -0500

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my emails with Bruce. Can we have an email thread where we don't delete the To: and From: info between exchanges? Do you know what I mean?

etc
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:31 pm
Are you using webmail? If so it's prolly hotmail so what is your friend using?

If webmail, what service.

If mail reader (e.g. outlook) what program?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:32 pm
Ah, just saw that.

I think the problem is that your friend has configured their mail reader/webmail to use an email address for the display name.

If you can tell me what service/program she uses that might help.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:40 pm
hmmm....

Both of us are on hotmail. I'm guessing that whatever it is, it's on his end since this doesn't happen with other hotmail users I echange email with. And, this is a new thing even with the one I have problems with.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:48 pm
I think it's the display name. I could tell you more if I saw one of the email headers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 04:27 pm
I'll PM one to you, or list it here for a minute, but I have to wait to receive another email from the guy.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 04:43 pm
If you list it you need to show the email headers and such. I want to look at the source code for the email. You won't be able to just copy and paste from the email body.

If you want to forward one I'll give you an address to forward to.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:36 am
sounds like more trouble than its worth.
if i were you i'd set up an account on yahoo or some other free site, write to the guy, and see if its still weird.

am finding it hard to believe that a text message can be half a meg Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Same here. I thought it had to be attachments.

Seriously, the amount of text it would take to get to half a meg is more than some of the longest threads on this site.

That's why I want to see source, it could be that there is repetitive hidden text.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:59 am
Or an image for background wallpaper.. If you do the reply attachment thing the images get rolled into the attachement. Blah.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:47 pm
Craven I will happily forward it to you if you give me an address! THANK YOU!
0 Replies