Favorite Shows That Were Not Hits

Greyfan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:55 pm
I am currently re-watching "Firefly", last year's sci-fi western from Joss (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) Whedon, which is out on DVD. Its a terrific show, even better when the episodes are presented in proper order, rather than jumbled the way Fox did it while they were sabotaging the show's original run.

Over the years, a number of shows have come along that I thought were excellent, but did not, for one reason or another, find an audience.

In addition to Firefly, my choices would be:

The Rogues
Wizards and Warriors
Frank's Place
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

Any other nominations? The only rule is that the show must have aired for one season or less. If you are uncertain if your show qualifies, you can check it out at www.tvtome.com , which is a useful site for indulging those old television show memories.

I would be interested as well in comments from anyone who remembers the shows I chose, fondly or otherwise....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,422 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Jim

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:58 pm
Two shows I liked were "John Doe", and the Babylon-5 spin-off "Crusade".
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:59 pm
And I forgot "Brimstone". The theology was horrendous, but the scripts were intelligent and the acting was quite good.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:09 pm
I was going to mention Frank's Place. That's always the show I use as an example of how good television can be. I adored that show during it's original run and started taping it when it began moving from one nite to the other because that's always an indication that a show is in trouble and on the verge of cancellation. I still have those tapes. Wish Tim Reid would create a boxed dvd set.
Frank: (returning from the market, wearing a string of garlic around his neck) Well, at least I'm safe from Dracula.
Miss Marie: (laughing) You don't believe in that, do you Frank? Dracula ain't afraid of no garlic.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:13 pm
Anyone remember "EZ Streets", "The Crow--Stairway To Heaven" or "Peacemakers"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:10 pm
I liked the new Dragnet show, but instead of allowing it to build they shook it up and then abruptly took it off the air.
Most of the shows I enjoyed that were not popular go back some years: My World and Welcome to It, with William Windom; The Westerner, with Brian Kieth. I'll think of others later on.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:19 pm
I remember "My World and Welcome to It!" Don't remember much about it except that it was kind of quirky, right? There was something different about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:22 pm
My World and Welcome to It was based on the works of James Thurber.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:37 pm
Boomtown
Skin
Push, Nevada
Brotherhood of Poland New Hampshire
Now and Then
American Hero
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:56 pm
Monk was brought back to network television for two episodes and has again vanished.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:27 pm
I should also add Grosse Point
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:07 am
Paul Sand's Friends and Lovers
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:26 am
monk still shows on USA i think edgar...a truly clever show...I know it the criteria is one year or less..but I loved Millineum...was sorry to see that one go...as well as Firefly..brilliant writing and acting in that show.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:04 am
I liked the Andy Richter Show, The Ben Stiller Show, Get a Life... I know there were more, but I've probably forgotten them, since they didn't last.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:32 am
The StarLost
0 Replies