WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:34 pm
patiodog wrote:
n Chicago (where Milwaukee Ave. obliquely crosses Chicago Ave., I think it was)

Shocked ooooh. Been there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:44 pm
I had fairly early Honda Civic... damn thing spun in the rain with the merest murmuring touch on the brake. I eventually sold it for exactly the purchase price. Aside from those two rain excitements, I really liked it.

Just saw a headling on either CNN or Google news website about Taurus being done, or some such.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
On the Cavalier... was that better or worse than the Citation? I had an accident, an oncoming car running the red very late, totalling my then Volvo - luckily two witnesses stayed and spoke up - but I was not highly insured on the old Volvo. It was the other guy's fault, but he ended up having no insurance and also tried to sue my insurance. Well, never mind.. point is I ended up driving my deceased father in law's Chevy Citation. That was one of the most instantly depressing, and then long term depressing, changes of cars I've ever had.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:07 pm
The Citation was before the Cavalier. Sh!tbox.

The last year for the Taurus is 2006.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:10 pm
eoe wrote:
patiodog wrote:
n Chicago (where Milwaukee Ave. obliquely crosses Chicago Ave., I think it was)

Shocked ooooh. Been there.

It's not what it used to be. That area is practically posh, now. At least, the sidewalks are clean and don't smell like piss.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 06:37 am
Ever since I've been able to use the internet I've been trying to find someone.

He was a very good friend of mine when we were in our tween/early teen years. His parents were American Foreign Service Officers so there was a lot of travel, and they only lived by us for two years. He came back to visit us while they were living in Paris. We exchanged letters for about a decade and then lost track just at the end of university.

I searched and searched online over the past 12+ years.

Found a trace of a charitable donation his mother made of some of his grandfather's artwork. It was in the papers as his grand-dad had been a Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

And an article he wrote for an architecture mag about 25 years ago was in an archive I tracked down.

This morning I found his obituary.

Looks like life had been very good - but I really wanted to say hello and goodbye once more. I learned so much from Douglas and his parents about the world and I wanted to tell them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:54 am
Beth, that's so sad!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 10:54 am
Sorry, ehbeth. It's my guess that he was occasionally thinking of you as well. It's a shame you didn't get to reconnect, but I'm sure you touched his life as well.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:33 pm
Ah, bethie, how sad. I'm sorry that you found Douglas too late.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:38 pm
Very sad.

The hamburgers and I are among the people that have a lot of fun, happy memories of Douglas. We're lucky to have known him as a bright, goofy young man.

I'd still like to say thanks to his parents for all the things I learned from them. I'll wait a bit though. At least I have cities to work with now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:39 pm
It's the unknown.. I agree it is very sad news.. But I also agree he has probably thought of you and of what you would think about this or that many times.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:40 pm
Ha!

just reading back in the thread a coupla pages.

I took my Honda for a private thinking drive today.

Hondas are good people.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 10:37 pm
I put my laundry in the public machine today around 2:00 pm. I completely lost track of time, and decided to go switch it over at 4:30 pm.

I was very confused to find that the machine I had put it into was running, and had 6 minutes left! The machines on either side of it were also both running and had time on them. Due to the opaque metal doors I could not seen the laundry inside. Had somone done the unthinkable...had they stolen my laundry? Had they started my machine again by accident?

After some futile cursing and kicking I decided to pry open the doors and see just what kind of clothes the person who would steal my clothes might wear. Alas, they were locked shut until the timer ran down.

My laundry came out 10 minutes later. Musta been a local time warp...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
Its bloody cold suddenly.

Until now it had started to get real chilly as soon as the sun was gone in the evening, but in the daytime it was really still quite pleasant. We went on a lovely hike last week, for example, looking at the autumn colours but it still kinda feeling late summery.

But yesterday late afternoon a storm broke, and today... brrr. Suddenly it feels like winter. My colleague said there'll be snow this weekend! Shocked
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:33 pm
Welcome to the inland, nimh.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:51 pm
I broke a tooth today while gritting my teeth. Well, I did break a tooth, but it wasn't from gritting. It was from a particularly hard nut in a candy bar. Very Happy
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:03 am
That sucks letty. I broke a tooth on a chicken mcnugget once.

It's only 11 am but my day could not get any worse. I spent from 8 am to 3 am yesterday writing a brilliant piece of code...

Today as I was reorganizing some files I accidentally overwrote the file. Gone. Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:14 am
Ouch.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:42 am
worst part, Soz, is that I cannot do novacaine. I start seeing things, seriously. My son fell again and refuses to go to the hospital. Like mother like son, I guess.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:13 pm
You can't do novacaine? So what happens when you have to have a tooth filled or pulled?

My husband's car went kaput today and he's in the middle of a job with a deadline so, he had to take my car. So, not only am I carless now, what bugs me even more is, he gave me hell when I bought this car simply because he didn't like it. I know it's petty to hold grudges but, I just couldn't believe his macho gaul. And now, he's got his butt in my car, the one he pitched such a boogy about. grrrrr.......
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 06/16/2024 at 05:59:04