WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:54 am
Hmmmmm ...... then I guess I'll eventually know who it was, Francis, coz the next time I see them they'll be deaf & very angry in their attitude toward me? :wink: Laughing
It's just that they've been so damn persistent! Grrrrrrrrr!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:59 am
Francis' solution is very like one I employed once, against a persistent company that insisted we had ordered about a thousand dollars worth of subscriptions. No matter how I cussed and threatened them, they kept calling, sometimes twice in an evening. I retaliated by making the loudest noises I could when I picked up the receiver. I started by screaming as loudly as I could, and then looking for ways to amplify the sound without straining my vocal chords. It took about three calls for them to get the idea and stop calling.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 07:03 am
The thing is, though, they never speak when I answer the phone! And if I don't, they leave a silent message on my answering machine. Once or twice, well OK ... but on a daily basis (sometimes up to 3 times a day) for around 3 weeks?! Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:07 am
msolga wrote:
A mystery phone caller is causing me some g & g-ing. For around 3 weeks now "someone" has be calling here & either not answering (silence)when I answer, or leaving a silent "message" on my answering machine. At first I thought it was just just folk dialling the wrong number, but it's happened enough times (exactly the same thing each time) for me to think otherwise. Twice today (my day off work) already. What the hell causes a person to do this sort of thing? Confused Rolling Eyes

Whistle is, indeed, good.

Or you could try breathing right back.....

You don't have caller ID? Or a call back function on your answering machine?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:23 am
Thanks for asking, mac and k, about my foot. Believe it or not, I did not soak it last night and it's still hurting this morning. It's not as bad as yesterday afternoon so there's hope that it's just bruised or something minor like that and the pain will eventually go away. Smile
I've got to go out today tho. grrrr.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:08 am
Haven't had a hormone-induced migraine for more than 6 months, but I woke up with a doozy this morning. Took a pill, and I'm going back to bed. The light from the monitor is hurting my eyes....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:06 am
Ouch.
Feel better soon.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:34 am
Yes, both of you feel better soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 02:19 am
dlowan wrote:
...You don't have caller ID? Or a call back function on your answering machine?

Nope, I don't. Never had the need for such a thing, so never bothered. I just have the most basic phone recorder - no frills. Call back function: can a person be called back (having left a "silent" message) on your answering machine)? When I've done the Telstra check for missed calls I'm told there are no missed calls. Other times I've been told that the missed call was a silent number. The good news is that today (Saturday) there have been none of these nuisance calls at all while I've been in or out. Good! It was starting to make me cranky! :wink:
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 02:37 am
I never answer my phone, if it's that important, they'll leave a message. Is it your land-line your talking about msolga? If so, just use your mobile only for a while and then you can always see who it is calling you.

On the grimace topic for me this morning is the mouth ulcer lurking at the back of my mouth.

x
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 02:38 am
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:
...You don't have caller ID? Or a call back function on your answering machine?

Nope, I don't. Never had the need for such a thing, so never bothered. I just have the most basic phone recorder - no frills. Call back function: can a person be called back (having left a "silent" message) on your answering machine)? When I've done the Telstra check for missed calls I'm told there are no missed calls. Other times I've been told that the missed call was a silent number. The good news is that today (Saturday) there have been none of these nuisance calls at all while I've been in or out. Good! It was starting to make me cranky! :wink:

If the machine registers the breathing as a message, if you use Telstra answering, dialing 22 will call back, unless the caller has a silent number.

* 10 # , from memory, will call back your last caller who did NOT leave a message...again unless they have a silent number.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 02:46 am
OK, Deb, I'm gonna be dialling 22 if this damn person rings again!

A "Silent number" response is what I often get from dialling * 10 #.

Thanks anyway, Deb.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 02:54 am
Dorothy Parker wrote:
I never answer my phone, if it's that important, they'll leave a message. Is it your land-line your talking about msolga? If so, just use your mobile only for a while and then you can always see who it is calling you.

On the grimace topic for me this morning is the mouth ulcer lurking at the back of my mouth.

x

Yes, it's my landline, Dorothy. I never get these particular calls on my mobile.

Mouth ulcer! Ouch! Painful! Gargle with salt in warm water. (Actually I'm not 100% certain that this will fix it, but that's always what I've been told to do! Good luck!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 03:22 pm
Class 3.2 (third class, second weekend). That woman needs to retire.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 04:58 pm
Sorry to hear that, k. (Weekend classes should be inspiring!) What the problem? Boring, irrelevant, or just out of touch?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:30 pm
Ummm.... she's a control monger and we have to follow here lead without esception and she gives homework on the weekends. We had a spoken agreement at the beginning of this master's that we would have homework before, between and after the weekend courses, but that it was understood that the weekends were too busy and stressful for homework. We also don't feel she is teaching us what we need to know in a way we all understand.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:33 pm
That's a real shame, k.
Bossy, a slave driver, boring & irrelevant. I think she's hit the jackpot!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:34 pm
Mmmm.... it works for 1st graders, but not so good for grad students. Thing is that she's been doing this grad stuff for years. Why hasn't the university canned her yet?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:40 pm
We had one of those. Taught us planting design. It was all about line weight of pencils (migod, was he kidding?) and we had to fill out elaborate file cards. We all refused... we already had a year of plant i.d. classes and our own filing/info systems, whether on cards or not.
I think I got the highest grade, a B+ (no file cards, y'know).
(Plus he took my Mao hat and didn't give it back because he liked it.)
Oh, yeh, and he was sexist, if I remember right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:40 pm
Not at all nice to pe treated like a first grader when you're paying for the privilege ( & with your weekend, too!), is it? Rolling Eyes Why don't don't some of you bring up the "work on the weekend issue" with the faculty head? There must be folk who simply can't manage to fit it in.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/05/2024 at 12:24:48