WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

chai2

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
Having to deal with Mr. Creepy McCreepy this morning.

This is a guy my husband uses occassionally to do some work around the house.

Today McCreepy is finishing up the project of replacing the attic insulation.

Creepy isn't exactly the word. More like Mr. Pathetic.

This guy, a grown man in his 50's, is apparantly terrorized by me because at least 2 and a half years ago I had the cruelty to ask him "What are you doing?"

It was when Wally was out of town for a couple of weeks. I thought I heard water running, and when I left the house to run some errands, found McCreepy standing by the side of the house, spraying the siding with a hose.

This was (a) mid summer during a drought, (b) during the period when builders were breaking dusty ground on the land behind me, starting to build a multi house property. The entire area a couple blocks wide was continually covered with dust. No sense doing anything about it until they moved on to the next stage.

For some reason it shook him to the core to be asked why he'd be doing such a thing, under these conditions.

So, for the last few days, when he's not shambling around the attic like a racoon, he's scuttling and sneaking around like a crab, trying to avoid me.

Shewolf met him once, and her reaction when we left the house was "WTF is Wrong with that guy?"

chai2

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:06 pm
To the person who emailed me and said I only sent them one item that comes in a set of 2...

I'm sending you one replacement unit on me, but please be aware I keep and inventory and now I have an odd number of that style. I also know what size package I have to send 2 in, and would have noticed it wasn't full.

If you broke the damn thing after you got it, at least make a somewhat reasonable story up like it got damaged in shipping.

Oh wait. You couldn't do that because it was packed af.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 01:42 pm
@chai2,
Wow! What a font of the milk of human kindness you are.

He's creepy or pathetic because he's intimidated by his employer?

Somehow I suspect Mr. Creepy McCreepy has another side of the story to tell.

Does he do what you pay him to do in a satisfactory manner? If not, don't hire him again. If he does and his presence makes your grimace and grit your teeth...don't hire him again.

Shewolf confirmed he is odd...better not hire him again!
glitterbag

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 10:34 pm
@chai2,
It's only 13 degrees F or -9 degrees celsius, it's pretty chilly and I started to wonder what BG&E will charge for this last month.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 10:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Gosh darn gas company sucks all the joy out of the season, doesn't it.

We're enjoying the mildest winter I've seen since moving to New Mexico over 30 years ago. Still freezes overnight, but daytime temps have been crowding 50f.
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 10:58 pm
@roger,
But how are your air conditioning bills during the summer?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:23 pm
@roger,
I have bunch of cousins in New Mexico. My older cousin Alice married a lovely man named George who took a job at Los Alamos. Poor Alice is in the late stages of Altzheimers and is about 86. I keep in touch with a few of her children, one of her sons is very active in Doberman rescue. It seems the cousins are all over the map regarding occupations but practically all of them are big animal lovers. I didn't grimace over the cousins (all over the US) but I am very sad we lost a cousin this past November. He lived in Baltimore and was larger than life, and he always made me laugh. I think he may have been everybodies favorite cousin, damn I really sucks to lose family.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:51 pm
@oralloy,
Like most, I use evaporative coolers. They are moderately helpful in our usually arid weather. Sunny days after a rainstorm - don't ask.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:53 pm
@roger,
How are they called again .. swamp?
roger

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Swamp coolers, but people who sell them prefer to call them evaporative coolers. Indeed, the interior in the summertime is quite swampy and sometimes there's stuff growing in them. If I ever get a cut while working on one, I get serious with the disinfectant.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:04 am
@roger,
I remember that I leant about this heating/cooling system the first time, when I noticed how they were "changed" in May.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I generally replace the pads in early fall. That way, I only have to turn on the water on the first blazing (80F) hot day of summer.

Cooling only. So far, we haven't trained them to heat.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:38 am
@roger,
It's more preventing heat loss from the swamp cooler vent, if I understood what Bob explained correctly.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have understood the explanation had I been there.
Builder

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 02:02 am
@roger,
Swamp coolers run on a fraction of the energy required to run air conditioning.
We have two small portable units for our TH, and though I would like air con, it's a bit hard to set it up when using battery storage only.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 02:12 am
@roger,
Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 02:58 am
@Builder,
Understood. Air condition is much more effective, but evaporative cooling is definitely cheaper to run. What I've discovered is that it is best turned on before the house warms up in the morning. Once the house is at full, midafternoon heat, they aren't much more useful than a fan to move the air around, and they do increase the humidity.
Builder

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 03:09 am
@roger,
With advances in the heat pump designs for heating water, I'm hopeful for a lower-power option for air conditioning.

The by-product of the heat pump design is cold dry air.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 03:19 am
@Builder,
I hope that works out for you. What kind of humidity do you have where you live?
Builder

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 03:27 am
@roger,
Often it's approaching 95% this time of the year.

I'm quite inured to it, but the lovely lass shows signs of imminent collapse.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.06 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:59:04