WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

roger

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 03:44 am
@Builder,
At 95%, my collapse would be more like immediate than imminent. I'm surprised you get any benefit from a swamp cooler at all.
Builder

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 04:11 am
@roger,
I don't use 'em at all. I did a couple of seasons in the west Kimberleys, where 98 % humidity was a daily ritual in the wet season. When it did rain, the temps often dropped to 20C, but when the sun re-emerged, the temps climbed to 48C again in short order.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:42 am
stale cigarette smoke is wafting thru the air vent near my cubicle... https://i.imgur.com/05mFmgD.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 07:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Wow! What a font of the milk of human kindness you are.

He's creepy or pathetic because he's intimidated by his employer?

Somehow I suspect Mr. Creepy McCreepy has another side of the story to tell.

This ^^^, and the fact it got 2 thumbs up.

I was under the impression this was a what made you grimace and grit your teeth today, without the accusations that that the poster has no right to feel that way.

Iif something bothered someone, I feel this is supposed to be a no troll/no condemnation about your feelings thread.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:35 am
@chai2,
To the dentist today because the X-ray shows decay. I wonder what the cost will be to clean and fill?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 08:47 am

mystery stall-using co-worker exited men's room without washing hands.

did not see culprit -- my back was turned.

... can you believe that ****?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 09:24 am
a lonnnnnng winter which morphed into summer and now seems to be fighting back

there are frost warnings in the suburbs Evil or Very Mad

having a flashback to the year ... maybe 35? years ago where we went on a girls' camping trip for May 2-4 weekend - and they closed the park because it was so called.

brrrrrr
chai2

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 03:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Centro. I love everything about San Miguel except Centro. I absolutely fail to see what the huge attraction is.

I have to have an account with a bank down there. It’s the only one my property manager works through.
Had to go there today to withdraw money for my neighbor in my 3 unit building. It’s for my third of a garden project.

Round trip is exactly 3 miles, plus block circling for parking. All pay lots were full. Once you get a quarter of a mile from my house going down there, you literally reach a top speed of 10 mph. Most of the way it’s more like 5-6 mph. The round trip, with the no more than 4 minutes spent in the bank, was 53 minutes. You can’t walk because of very steep hills. Centro is an historical area that is a rabbit warren of mostly one way streets that is only wide enough for the passage of one vehicle. Not only are most of the streets one way, many of them end in a T so it’s like “you can’t get there from here”.

It’s mostly a place that gringos with too much money love to wander around. From what I can see they get up in the morning (especially women of a certain age), put on overly dressy artsy fartsy clothes (that the locals make fun of) so they can walk around and buy more overly dressy artsy fartsy clothes. Oh, and talk about the “thriving art community” which are some galleries and weekend art shows.

Oh, and these women all wear stupid floppy hats and make this husbands wear stupid Panama hats. No one else wears that ****.

The rest of the city is great though. May is the hottest month with a high of about 80 degrees, and lows in the 50’s
roger

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 03:56 pm
@chai2,
What's the problem with a Panama hat? I used to think it would be a nice thing to have.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 05:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
You can’t walk because of very steep hills.

get an e-bike or a scooter
chai2

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 06:05 pm
@roger,
As an individual thing it’s fine. But among a certain section of the gringos, it’s like a uniform. Like wearing Mickey Mouse ears at Disneyland.

Like anyplace, after awhile you can pick out the different cliques. This is the clique where the husband made a lot of money, the wife never worked but spends his money on clothes, cosmetic surgery and making him wear a Panama hat while they walk around looking for more stuff to spend money on. They mostly hang out in Centro. You never see them at the grocery or hardware stores. They’re kinda like Stepford People.

Heh. On my last visit my friend and I were driving through Centro and I saw inside a kitchen store this juice press I knew Wally would use. I jumped out of car and friend drove around block. Damn. It cost like 25% what day t would in the States (and he uses it all the time).
While waiting to complete the transaction this woman said she wanted to ask my opinion about some fork she was contemplating. I said something like “oh. Yeah. That’s nice” she starts asking me something like “would you consider this a salad fork or a dessert fork?”

Um. I guess either?

“ Because I’m having a gathering tomorrow night and “my Guadelupe” is preparing a special fruit tart (going on to name all the fruits) and I’m not sure if this would work.”

Uh. I’m sure it would be fine.

“Because, you see, I don’t know if the times are the correct size. Don’t salad forks have different tones?”

By now I had gotten my change, so I told her i’m sure her guests would work out how to get the pie off the fork and into their mouths.

As I walked away she was saying “Welllll. I just don’t know.”

I’m 99% sure her husband was somewhere wearing a Panama hat.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 06:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Cobblestones and taxis. You’d break your neck.

Seriously. The main modes of transportation for everyone, gringos and locals, are walk, car, bus, taxis. Some vespas for people under 25. I watch what the locals do and if they aren’t doing something, there’s a Damn good reason. This is their city/country and “when in Rome. “

The locals know how to get 2 pounds of butter out of a pint of milk. They are awesome. They may walk down the hill but take a bus back up. There’s streets in Centro a scooter wouldn’t have the oomph to get up, so you’d end up pushing it. 98% of day to day stuff isn’t done down there. It’s just a tourist attraction where rich (relative term) gringos rent a place at 3 times the going rate and invent problems. The Mexicans gladly take their pesos. They are important to the economy, and i’m part of that. I pay others to do stuff I’d never dream of in Austin. It’s worth it to me, and supports local families.

Most gringos are cool. Just living their lives. Centro though. Yeesh.

Plus, the only reason I have to go down there is for the bank. Maybe once a trip. I’ll go if someone else is driving if they want to go to a specific restaurant down there. But they are no better than places on Salida a Celeya. My house is in on the 2nd highest hill here. So most everything involves driving up and down a winding highway (not heading toward Centro) that I would be taking my life in my hands in anything other than a car type vehicle. I mean it’s a real Mr Frogs Wild Ride.

I suppose some find Centro romantic or quaint or something. Until you step/fall off an 18” wide sidewalk and into a hole where some uneven cobblestones are missing. Oh. There’s that. You drive down there at 8mph because of the streets being made of “historical” cobble stones, no street lights or stop signs and constant street that are temporarily closed.

Like I said, I absolutely love the place and will end up living here. The quaint of bad narrow streets in the tourist area quickly wears off.
Roberta

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 10:33 pm
I received three messages on my machine from "Apple." The message told me that the security on my iPod had been breached and that I should call their number toot sweet.

I don't own an iPod or any Apple device.

Snarl.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 12:46 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I don't own an iPod or any Apple device.

That's one hell of a breach.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 01:42 pm
@chai2,
Have you considered getting a pack mule?
chai2

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 03:37 pm
@Sturgis,
Don’t joke. Donkeys and horses are for work or transportation are not unheard of.

This place is old school and bonafide.
chai2

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 01:32 pm
@chai2,
Got a message from an ebay customer.

Them: My product arrived in a ziplock back labeled "damaged". Send me another.

Me: I'm sorry. Was the actual product/bottle damaged, or was the envelope damaged, and the PO put it in a zip lock for protection?

Them: Oh the bottle is fine. Just the envelope. Send me another because it came in a zip lock labled "damaged"

Me: (in my mind) Neutral
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 03:48 am
@chai2,
Hell, I get plenty of people wanting to place major orders with me (they will "direct deposit" a Purchase Order and all I have to do is send my account numbers). The hell of it is that I dont even sell anything.

I got a lot of old band saw blades. maybe I can sell thm as Iron Age artifacts.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 02:54 pm
Thunder clap directly over the house. Left everything unaffected, but my router. Killed it instantly. Had to drive on the freeway for a router and spent over an hour on the phone. Just got back online.
vonny

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 02:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
The heat - just not used to hot weather in this country.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:55:49