WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:50 pm
@roger,
ossobuco wrote:
I don't get any of this, what are you talking about?
roger wrote:
Letty said she tried to process a credit card transaction. Doesn't matter what kind; the point is the representative demanded her social security number. That demand in not only unnecessairy, it is outrageous. There are very few transactions for which I would furnish my own number, and merchants are not one of them. That is what I was hoping to convey.
most likely a criminal,
in furtherance of id. theft

I hope there was no acquiescence.
roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sounds likely, even though she made the initial contact instead of them calling her.

No, she didn't give them the number.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:59 pm
Trying to find a cab to work. Rain in Singapore is magical..it makes all the cabs disappear.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 11:11 pm
@the prince,
Same exact thing happens in NYC, Boston and a number of other American cities, Prince.
roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 11:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Not Farmington. Can't find a cab any time, any how. What is this rain thing you speak of?

Not that Farmington even aspires to Town, let alone City.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 11:22 pm
@roger,
just noticed the donkey...

welcome back, Eeyore.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 11:52 pm
@roger,
I think I drove through Farmington once. Isn't there a gas station or something?
roger

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:19 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Used to be
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 06:50 pm
@roger,
Thanks, in retrospect.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 06:55 pm
@roger,
Yeah, Patricio, just outside Lincoln, is like that. Do these towns have anything like municipal government or is it strictly county-administered?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 07:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I've been to Farmington once - gorgeous drive back and forth from Albuquerque, but at this point in his driving life, Roger doesn't go chanting about the beauty but talks about staying on the right side of the line, and, in winter, even on the road itself.

Diane and I visited him when he was wracked up after an altercation with a car. We had the better comfort, him dealing with multiple pain et al, and us staying at quite a nice b & b, lovely garden, etc. Of course, he also had the nurses..

Didn't see much of the town, but it wasn't uninteresting at first glance. Still with the small town ambiance.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm dealing with a baddy - I just don't know quite how horrendously bad right now. Was essentially woken up, though sipping my coffee, when I got a call from the city: meter reader saw a huge amount of water flowing through it..
scary water flow.

He had rung the doorbell, but all sorts of folk ring my doorbell and I'm from Venice, I don't just open it, especially if just wearing a tee shirt. But I got a near immediate call from them with the bad news. They came out and shut off the water, me filling containers in the meantime. Had I noticed anything - yes, I had noticed lower water pressure but I didn't put it down to a break, it wasn't that much lower, never being great in the first place, or quite varying - I took the pressure with my gauge when I first moved here, forget the number, but not all that reassuring. I almost remember it, but not quite. (I used to design irrigation. This probably serves me right.)

Much possible complication here, long story re the pipes, in these houses (lawsuits before my co-duplex owner and I got here, she a year before me, both too late), or outside of these houses, including apparently some bad knobs at the point of connection (water turnoff) and I may be cooked.
Interestingly, she has just gone through her second high level of expense re pipes - approx two months ago.
JPB

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 07:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, man... I hope it turns out to be something much less than cooked!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 08:21 pm
@JPB,
I actually got nauseous at the news, and that almost never happens.

I do qualify for red cross help (must shut up and start gathering data for that), and I do have insurance, the agency of which I try to avoid best I can, but I'm somehow doubting it applies.

Have to talk with neighbor, our stuff may be related. I doubt insurance paid hers as she was exclaiming about how much they paid.

I'm guessing that the grab for turnoff was for their contractor as it was for me, one I couldn't move when I explored a couple of years ago. The guy today told me that the city doesn't like contractors dealing with those, as there is a proper procedure, and done in a forced way the turn knob (sorry, I don't remember the name) can break. (Yeah, I had a faucet here break - I am used to brass).
But, our point of connection knobs are now the ones that work easily..
which I figure my neighbors paid for boucoup, from old turn off knob breakage. I don't know that at this point.

The city guy I first called warned me, the bill is easily 2000. for water loss. Plus, they don't go after where it's happening.

We have polybutylene pipes here, which I'd never heard of and then learned are famously brittle, thus much wonky stuff in houses, and I guess was settled in the former group lawsuit that was worked out before neighbor and I owned. Well, the contractor I first worked with told me that.

The, ah, older woman who lived here before me with her very overweight son (another story and I'm not meaning to make fun of overweight people but he must have broken the shower drain plastic, missed by the inspector) apparently didn't join the community (??) lawsuit. Those who did got whole new piping, I gather. Likely not polybutylene.

I have my biases - I spent my youth not fond of housing tracts, except some oldie ones. And then started to learn about all sorts of housing planning, with more mind changing, and twenty years past that part, think some places work and some don't. In the middle of that I got interested in italy, godhelpme, and got other ideas, that coincided with the mixed use folks. Theoretically, I was licensed as a planner, urban and regional, as land archs are, but only worked - when I did, huge hours - on plans for a, cough, top builder in the country, back then, and not as the principle in a firm. Moved up. Learned a lot. Also worked on other matters.

When I left on my own, I did designs for people in ordinary neighborhoods, which was my own interest, although did work for one chinese american design firm, where we got along. (It is a pity for a bunch of reasons I've never given a **** about money, and I've seen land archs and other designers get all gooey about the rich - I saw a lot of resentment. Not sure that is true now..)

A lot of rambling, but not to me - I really don't like contractors/developers who basically maraud the buyers, and this company here (I haven't memo'd the name) surely was one. But past that, I blame the city functionaries, some kind of lousy building and safety department.
And then I blame me, for being so anxious to get settled.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 11:47 pm
osso, I'm not sure I follow all of this. All I know is if there's a problem, call the super.

Whatever is happening, I want it resolved. I don't want you nauseous. I'm rooting for you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:31 pm
@Roberta,
11 days sans water.
Red cross ok'd me - but I was sitting at the phone forever when they were closed over the long memorial day weekend. (Confused by the phone message - we'll call you right back - and by 24/7 website, that's only for disaster nationally - obvious once I figured it out). When I met them, I liked the people there.

RC plumber called this Friday, day 8, about five minutes before Roger and I got back from lunch after he brought Katy to the care facility. Perhaps I'll hear from Plumber tomorrow. Sounded sane anyway, probably was looking forward to the present weekend.

My neighbors have kicked in, and I now own a bunch of large plastic bottles to tap their hosebibs. One is very forceful and one is slow going, not to complain.
Good thing I've a very diminished sense of smell.
Diane has been a big help, two showers and today a bit of laundry and water bottle filling. Mostly as an ear, we all need ears, though hers is busy. But primarily, she got me to the red cross place, me with all my papers held in lap in moderate anxiety except that we needed to look sharp to find the place.. another Albuquerque mystery for building numbers, only this one, Pan American west freeway, where you can't go back if you miss the place, and many buildings are sans numbers.

Roger has been a stalwart, there the day it happened.

Roberta - sorry for confusion. This is a plumbing horrified neighborhood.

There are funny bits to this - my insistence to myself on using the cream cheese to make a sage almond pate, a recipe from a grocery sage purveyorthat has been on my refrigerator door for at least two years - but I have a slightly surviving sage plant and some garlic and a dozen almonds. Crap, goo over all those spoons. Crap, probably the wrong word.

Dog Face is doing ok; though it's warm in the house, it's warmer outside and she gets water first. With luck, I'll get her to a nail clipping tomorrow. Well, if the plumber calls first.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:41 pm
What made me grimace and grit my teeth today? Having to read through reams and reams of JTT's puerile horseshit. She seems to have taken over every thread that I'd been following and has had a major attack of diarehea of the opinion center on all of them. If that person is gonna go off her meds, I wish she'd give us fair warning or I'll be forced to put her on "ignore", along with gungasnake, billRM, hawkeye and H2Oman. Select company, indeed. I'mm pissed off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:28 pm
The plumbers sent by the Red Cross left today. Me, ms sardonic, I am a big fan of that family company.

Anyone need a plumber in the Albuquerque area, pm me. Those people knew what they were doing and - not least - got along with each other.

Excuse me, this isn't a bad report as a grimace, just a followup for a major grimace.

Of course, I still owe $2000. for the water break.
Which I don't have.
We'll see.

I was fifteen days without water, presently just resting.
Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:15 am
@ossobuco,
Fifteen days without water!!?? Sympathetic.

Wish I could help with the bill.

Give Katy a head pat from me.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:47 am
Not so much gritting or grimacing ... just in deep sadness & shock...

I finally (after heaps of technical problems) managed to get myself back into my Facebook account which I'd established ages ago, but have hardly ever used since.

One of the first searches I conducted was for my first "serious" boyfriend, Peter. My first important relationship, which began while we were both art students at college. It lasted 6 years.

I wondered how he was going, as we hadn't spoken for quite a while. (I'd tracked him down around 3-4 years ago & made contact again ... & discovered that he was living in northern Queensland still painting & educating in the arts community there.
He said he'd tried to track me down, too, but (since my surname had changed through marriage) hadn't been able to.
Interestingly, he said I appeared in a recent dream he'd had, just before my letter reached him. He kept calling at me to stop, but I kept vanishing ...)

But anyway ... back to my Facebook search a few hours ago ...
I discovered that he'd died, around June of last year ...
I had no idea till now.
No wonder I hadn't heard from him for so long.

Peter was always a person who lived rather recklessly, larger than life, a romantic who burned the candle at both ends ..... unbelievable that he has died so young .... so unexpected.

I am now Googling away to see who I can contact to find out more about the circumstances of his death.
I want to know.

I still have the copy of E E Cummings poems (1923 - 1954) which was given to me on Olga's Day in 1969. I treasure that & read poetry from it often.

Sorry, I think I'm rambling a bit here - I'm really shocked.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:14:19