WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

DJ Tom Selfridges

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:07 pm
getting clamidia
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
Watching a young man walking up stairs in pants so low and so wide he had to hold them up to keep from tripping.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:36 pm
I dropped a TON of change into the salvation army little bucket and the woman ringing the bell didn't even say thank you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 04:50 am
Another one bites the dust..... I used to live with this kid in Japan.

At least he took one of the bad guys with him. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:18 am
I am sorry. That is an awful story and so sad.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
Awful.

Maybe this can at least create some sort of opening for prosecution of Family criminals?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Definitely makes me grimace and grit my teeth. So glad you got out, Craven.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
From the NYT.

My sister lived with him in the States. I used to read comic books about him as a child.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
That's awful, made me quite upset.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:30 am
Bush on the TV
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:37 am
its cold and damp and I can't take the dogs to the park this morning.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
DJ Tom Selfriges, I remember you...you've had Clamidia since Dec 11! Get yourself some treatment whydontcha! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:14 pm
Craven, Monger, curious if you think that the fact that this made the first page of the NYT signals anything. It seems to me, not knowing much about it at all, that it is the kind of blatant injustice that if well-enough publicized gets new laws made if no existing ones apply. Eventually, anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
Now that's a fascinating segue.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 09:41 pm
Soz, the 2nd page of that NYT article goes into some reasons why prosecution is tough. For one, few members (and even fewer children) knew adult group members by "legal" names, & name changes were common. Tracking people down, for starters, can be very difficult. Additionally, few people stayed in one location for very long (there are communes in nearly 100 countries), so the country where one person was abused is probably no longer where they or their abuser currently reside. The statute of limitations tends to get in the way as well, given that people usually only leave as teenagers or adults.

The group is also pretty well practiced at insisting anything we may have experienced was an isolated incident and the responsiblity of individuals alone...though even individuals have not gotten what's coming to them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 09:49 pm
Bleh.

Yeah, I read the whole article when it came out, and remember Craven saying those same things. (In fact rather odd to be reading news that I had already gotten from the horse's mouth.)

What I'm wondering -- and I'm sure it's impossible to say -- is whether the injustice can be so blatant and with enough documentation that all of those existing roadblocks can be overcome, somehow. People have copies of "Davidito", still, and are disgruntled enough to talk about it to the NYT, and there seemed to be an implication that there were other documents out there like one from the Family ordering certain passages and documents purged, and the damaging passages/ documents themselves...

Obviously Rodriguez found this woman -- seems like there must be some sort of sting operation possible, wires, conversations...?

-Sigh-

I'm sure this has all been thought of, and is also way too close to home for you guys.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 09:52 pm
In addition, they have successfully characterized such attempts as "religious persecution" to their followers, and successfully taught them that it's right to lie about such incidents as they are things that their "persecutors" use to bring them down.

So the followers thing their elusive behavior is the result of "antichrist" persecution and not their attempts to hide from culpability for their crimes.

They recently began changing their legal names as well.

The multiple countries issue that Monger raised was also specifically used to evade the law multiple times.

In the Phillipines they fled to Japan en masse once, and this happens on a smaller scale as well, a kid I know complained of sexual assault and they promptly sent the guy off to Holland to be out of legal reach from the kid in Brazil in case he got any ideas.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
What I'm wondering -- and I'm sure it's impossible to say -- is whether the injustice can be so blatant and with enough documentation that all of those existing roadblocks can be overcome, somehow.

It usually takes too long to get anyone in law enforcement to begin to wrap their heads around the case for them to act within the small window of opportunity that their elusive behavior provides.

And they are just not high profile enough for the type of A.P.B. that would catch them when they sneak stateside to change their names or something.

Quote:
People have copies of "Davidito", still, and are disgruntled enough to talk about it to the NYT, and there seemed to be an implication that there were other documents out there like one from the Family ordering certain passages and documents purged, and the damaging passages/ documents themselves...

There were many many others. I personally burned them as a kid when one of the purge notices went out.

Thing is, the evidence alone hasn't worked, it needs to show up together with the accused and the evidence hasn't been enough to motivate law enforcement to seek the accused themselves.

This was a big reason Ricky did what he did, he felt he had no legal redress and wanted to kill his mother. He killed Angela because he couldn't get his mother and had reached his breaking point before finding his mother.

Quote:
Obviously Rodriguez found this woman -- seems like there must be some sort of sting operation possible, wires, conversations...?

No, he heard his mother was going to be in town but didn't find her, and Angela sought him out to meet him because Angela was unable to comprehend that she had done wrong and that Ricky was that disturbed by the events that she was a part of.

But it would be child's play to locate the individuals if any law enforcement agency can be motivated to care.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:04 pm
Also - proving child sexual abuse is almost impossible down the track - though here it is beginning to happen successfully on the odd occasion - (usually when the offender confesses).

Problems:

Corroborative evidence. Often unwitnessed - in this case, witnesses seem likely, but unlikely to co-operate.

Ongoing abuse: often kids experience multiple episodes of abuse, which fade into each other - to prosecute successfully particular incidents must be identified - and talked about in the sort of detail that means the alleged victim must recall things like: date, time, place, what clothes were being worn, the furnishings of the room, who put what where in exact sequence - one error or don't know, or contradictory statement, and a defence lawyer can shoot the testimony down in flames - (at least this is true here)

A couple of major paedophiles have been imprisoned here recently - on the basis of evidence from years ago - I think because the victims were able to have all the cases heard at once, and the jury was overcome with the cumulative evidence - often, there are separate trials for each alleged victim - and the jury never gets to hear that other matters are also being heard.

Plus everything that Monger and Craven have said re the circumstances here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:07 pm
Awful.

I guess what I'm hoping is that a front page NYT article might be the start of high profile enough.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/22/2024 at 07:33:17