WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:51 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Now, the weird thing is they tell you not to exercise, but to keep the foot up, so the blood and lymph circulate and the thing doesn't swell.

What on earth makes that happen better than walking, I ask you?

Walking will increase blood pressure, which will cause more fluid to seep out of the capillaries and into the interstitial space. At the same time, being upright will decrease the rate of lymphatic drainage out of the interstitial space. Double edema whammy.
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I hope it is just a minorly plugged drain

I hope it is, too, ehBeth.

The alternative can be very expensive! (I know, I know, from living with an old (shared with neighbour) drain built in the 1890s. I could tell you many fascinating stories about my drain experiences!

Good luck. I hope it's fixed soon. I clogged drain can temporarily ruin one's life!
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
probing around for my firewood pile. The snow is so deep that everything is covered and drifted.
The easy wood pile that was on the front porch has been all burned so now its hard work.

Oh that sounds so hard & so cold, farmer!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:58 pm
@patiodog,
Well, at least that makes sense finally!

Walking into the city on Saturday DID make it swell!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:08 pm
Yikes, Bethie and Deb.

Fingers crossed all round!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:19 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
The alternative can be very expensive! (I know, I know, from living with an old (shared with neighbour) drain built in the 1890s. I could tell you many fascinating stories about my drain experiences!

ack

that is almost exactly what we are dealing with

we'll see if the quoted repair - just under $2000 - does the job

if not ... I'm not sure I want to think about it
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:25 pm
Memories of old clay pipes surrounded by trees...

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
exactly
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
we'll see if the quoted repair - just under $2000 - does the job

Shocked

You're talking about major repairs to the drain itself, ehBeth?

Most of my/our work has been of the "unclogging" variety ... of a very narrow Victorian drain. Nothing like that amount!

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Memories of old clay pipes surrounded by trees...

Oh tell me something, osso! Neutral
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:40 pm
@msolga,
Apparently the tree roots may have interfered with the function of the pipes 0r collapsed them!

Tomorrow morning they start digging - eight feet down and then four to five feet to the property line where the city takes over responsibility apparently. Best case, the city-owned tree caused the damage, in which case the city pays up to $2000 on the work.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:45 pm
@ehBeth,
that sucks, had to dig and auger out drains about 10 years ago, no damaged tiles just some root clog, broke through and now use an acid based root clearer once a year (have a drain that goes directly to the tile by passing the septic tank)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:51 pm
@ehBeth,
OhOh!

This is exactly the scenario that I have been dreading, ehBeth!

These "charming" period houses, with their charming, antiquated infrastructure! Sigh. Neutral

Luckily now I have new, very reasonable neighbours (to share joint costs with). It was a fight, each time, with the previous lot. Actually, extracting their share from them was far worse than the experience of the blocked drain!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh lord....the roto-rooter!!!

May it be the city's tree.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:07 pm
@msolga,
Clay pipes, trouble is thy name. (I can say this, since we went through that when I was a teen and I presently have a totally f'ed water piping in my house, bought it after the major lawsuit was closed. Don't get me going.. I live in lemon city.)

This somewhat depends on the trees and their root systems/positions. Not to mention earthquake in california.
Replacement can be the better part of valor.

What I don't know is if root trimming - or root barriers - is/are a useful alternative somewhere along the line. I used to have a friend who was sharp about street trees and root pruning - as in which and when and why or why not.

I'm trying to remember his name - but remember he is now well respected. I'll link anything useful if the fog abates.
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Replacement can be the better part of valor.

Oh I know, I know ...

Sigh.

One of these days ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:13 pm
@dlowan,
Fingers are crossed crossed crossed on it being due to the city tree.

It would be a bit of a sad thing as the city has been getting rid of the old trees that are causing the problems - mine is the last on the block of the trees planted by the city after the first World War. Sooooo the tree would likely go, and the front of my house would get verra verra hot in summer - but this drain problem must be fixed.

We are lucky that we caught the problem really quickly, but yuck.
mac11

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:23 pm
fingers crossed and chanting "citytreecitytreecitytreecitytreecitytreecitytreecitytreecitytreecitytreecitytree"
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
Oh, hoping that drain is repaired posthaste, ebeth, and dlowan heals in a hurry - definitely grimace and grit-your-teeth type things to happen to anybody.

Me, I had an adjustment to my neck today by chiropractor, and now to my back which was thrown out when he pushed the disc back in place in my neck - or something like that.

Next, husband drove us to Austin where we were to see a kitten that sounded so cute (I need a new kitten to hug). Finally found the place - gads, what a house. There was this huge plastic sheeting covering the front door about six ft. out, her green house, she said. So, we walked thru these ghastly looking plants, she opens the door, and........wow! Oh, gosh, one of those "hoarders." There was this horrible smell and stacks and stacks of junk everywhere. Many many cats were in this screened porch filled with a foot of mulch - a gigantic sandbox? All the cats were very thin, then she brought out the kittens - skinny greasy little white things. ****, damn, these poor things.

My husband just stood there, talking - he talks when he doesn't know what else to do. I told the lady, who had a new van out front that had something about interior designer on it - all those filthy things stacked around her home were for decorating?. I told her they were much to fluffy (the kittens) and she had told me they were part Siamese which means not-so-fluffy I think. But, we managed to get out of there.

Now, I am feeling terrible. Maybe she can't afford to feed the cats & kittens? (she was charging $50 for the kittens). What I am going to do is send her a case of cat and kitten food, plus some mother's canned kitten milk for those poor kittens who were only 4 weeks old.

How do people live like that? What else can I do about the kittens? The one she wanted us to buy had sore eyes. Probably, so did the others. What should I do, except grimace & grit my teeth?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:30 pm
@ehBeth,
It may well be due to the city trees roots. Or the problem of those who specified clay pipes (duh!) since that was the system at the time.

I've seen many very stupid trees specified for city spaces. Many, ok, many thousands. Perhaps tens of thousands. A few of those may be from me, but I tried not to do that. I watched trees go in on my own street from a powerful volunteer organization and no one listened to me. I said no, but there is one in front of my old house now. Those trees belonged in at least a twelve foot parkway, and that, at 12, was too small. On our street, the parkway was 30 inches. I've driven down that street, back in November, and I see trouble afoot.

But past all that, root behavior matters.

I've got charts on local tree behavior (god, in what binder).

I think that useful chart was from the local power company.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 06:37:28