WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:01 am
@dlowan,
I still think you should report it to the property owner's insurance - with details of your reports to the property owner of the problems.

The risk manager at the insurer will be very interested. Tell them you plan to make a claim (regardless of whether you plan to follow through). The risk manager will likely go after the property owner to have the matter dealt with promptly.

Make sure any further discussions with the property owner are confirmed in later letters/emails copied to the insurer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 03:34 pm
I have to grit my teeth today, because I flew into Austin, and if feels like 100 degrees here!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
My neighbors. The ones who didn't tear down the house next door and replace it with a McMansion --- I was so happy when they said they were going to fix it up and live in it. I should be grateful that I'm not staring at turrets.... and I am grateful that I'm not staring at turrets but they've taken down a couple dozen trees and they burn everything they can get their hands on and they do it Every Single Day! They live in the flipping woods, for cryin' out loud. Woods = trees and trees = leaves and leaves = fodder for the daily smoke event. ACK!!!!

It's a beautiful day today (as many days are this time of year) but my house is closed up tight because we can't breathe otherwise. Our village allows outside burning. The neighbors mostly, sorta, sometimes follow the burning ordinances. I could be an asshole and call the police every time they leave the fire unattended or every time they have some other infraction but I don't want to live like that. I also don't want to live my life without being able to open my windows. I wouldn't mind an occasional smoke-out, but EVERY SINGLE DAY???? We've talked to them, other neighbors have talked to them, the village forester came over and told them they could only remove dead/diseased trees -- nothing matters. If it's on the ground it gets blown/raked into a pile and ignited.

Grrrrrrrrrr......

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 09:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I AM the property owner!
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 02:20 am
@dlowan,
Of course you are! (And good for you!) Wink
Letty

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:53 am
@msolga,
Went to the net to check out the version of King Kong on ABC that edgar was watching, and my pc went wild. Lost everything in my system's tray, and cannot understand why. Also, I took a walk on the abandoned golf course yesterday, and returned with a ton of burrs. They're small but really hurt. Naturally, they were on the bottom of my flip flops and they also got all over my carpet as well.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 06:57 pm
@Letty,
So that was yesterday, Letty...
Not exactly a good day, was it?
So today is better? (I hope!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:01 pm
@Letty,
Those sound like our miserable burrs here, goatshead.

I remember taking the Pacc out for a walk and having him crippled within, oh, twenty five feet, poor lamb, makes me cringe even now to remember it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:02 pm
@dlowan,
errr, if you're the property owner, who are you pointing this out to/complaining to/requesting a sign of?

You want the insurer of whoever you're talking to (unless you're talking to yourself)

dlowan wrote:
Eg: In winter, the first rains stop the card scanner from working and you can't open it. Clearly this was a design problem,. which I pointed out every winter for 9 years.

I have also complained about that for years.

For five years I have been requesting a sign on the inside of the gate telling people the gate needs checking to see if it is closed.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:04 pm
@JPB,
Hello, JPB.
I'd be wild about this situation too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:21 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
My neighbors. The ones who didn't tear down the house next door and replace it with a McMansion --- I was so happy when they said they were going to fix it up and live in it. I should be grateful that I'm not staring at turrets.... and I am grateful that I'm not staring at turrets but they've taken down a couple dozen trees and they burn everything they can get their hands on and they do it Every Single Day! They live in the flipping woods, for cryin' out loud. Woods = trees and trees = leaves and leaves = fodder for the daily smoke event. ACK!!!!

It's a beautiful day today (as many days are this time of year) but my house is closed up tight because we can't breathe otherwise. Our village allows outside burning. The neighbors mostly, sorta, sometimes follow the burning ordinances. I could be an asshole and call the police every time they leave the fire unattended or every time they have some other infraction but I don't want to live like that. I also don't want to live my life without being able to open my windows. I wouldn't mind an occasional smoke-out, but EVERY SINGLE DAY???? We've talked to them, other neighbors have talked to them, the village forester came over and told them they could only remove dead/diseased trees -- nothing matters. If it's on the ground it gets blown/raked into a pile and ignited.

Grrrrrrrrrr......

Crikey, JPB! I'd certainly be grrrrr-ing, too!
As for removing all the trees, do you think they might be planning an extension to their home? Or maybe they just don't like trees? Neutral
Just wondering, though .... about regulations about burning-off in your area. They're pretty strict where I live (in a big city, admittedly)! I don't know that it's actually allowed anymore.
You poor things! I hope none of you are asthmatics! On the credit side, though, sounds like there won't be much left to burn before long. Every tree might soon be gone from their property! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 09:40 pm
JPB, those are the neighbors from hell! How awful.

I had a rough weekend. Little black ants invaded my apartment. It started in the middle of the night Friday nite. I must have killed thousands of them. Maybe tens of thousands. Saturday a.m. when the office opened I called for help. They sent the sweet maintenance guy over to check if it was maybe termites. ("How could it be ants on the third floor?") I'd squashed, sprayed, and/or vacuumed all the ones I could find Friday nite - in the kitchen, on the bedroom ceiling, on my bed(!), so I wondered if he'd believe what I'd seen. But before he got there, I discovered them in my sock drawer. It was swarming with a kajillion ants. The maintenance guy got a good look at the drawer and went to buy bug bombs. I thought it was a great idea, but had about 30 minutes to get ready for it and then left the apartment for four hours. I came back, turned the a/c back on, opened windows, and left for another hour. Two hours later I had company coming over to watch a football game. It was a busy couple of hours... But no one else seemed to mind the slightly chemical smell. And since our team won, and the pizza was good, they were happy.

I've been kind of twitchy ever since. Every black speck or movement in the corner of my eye makes me jump. So far, so good. I only saw one live ant yesterday and none today. (Still finding dead ones.) I keep wondering if it's over.

The good news - the manager told me to take $100 off next month's rent. I guess bringing her a ziplock bag of dead ants kind of made her feel bad for me.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 10:08 pm
@mac11,
I had a very mild ant excursion a few weeks ago and thus worked myself into total body welts.
They seem like the same old ordinary ants I'm used to in southern california, but

I guess not.

I've no easy answers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:06 am
@mac11,
Yikes! That's a lotta ants!!! I'm glad you've gotten rid of them (she says, hopefully).

Thanks for the thoughts, ladies. To answer msolga's question re motivation - she wants grass. A yard. Something to mow. First she removed the entire ground layer of the woodland and planted grass seed -- um.... nope, grass doesn't grow in a woodland. That's why it's a woodland. Then they started taking down trees but are frustrated that there are so many healthy trees and the village will only let them take out the dead/diseased ones. And, yes, everything gets burned. Now the leaves from the healthy trees are starting to fall and it gives them daily fuel for the fire --- which isn't really a fire, it's a smoke pile. Folks have asked them why they moved to the woods if they don't want to live in the woods. It seems that they like being surrounded by other people's woods but want a yard full of turf grass.

Also, yes, Mr B does have breathing difficulties. They "try" to burn every afternoon while he's a work and therefore misses the heaviest of the smoke. Unfortunately, the pile smolders for hours - sometimes all night.

It rained yesterday so we got a reprieve. I imagine a thick, wet pile of leaves will begin smoldering later this afternoon.

cough, cough, cough.
sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:08 am
@JPB,
Ugh, that's horrible!

The ants too. <shiver>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:18 am
@mac11,
Quote:
I discovered them in my sock drawer. It was swarming with a kajillion ants.

Shocked

Eeek!

Well, I hope that's the last of em, mac! Goodness me!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:22 am
@JPB,
Quote:
she wants grass. A yard. Something to mow. First she removed the entire ground layer of the woodland and planted grass seed -- um.... nope, grass doesn't grow in a woodland. That's why it's a woodland. Then they started taking down trees but are frustrated that there are so many healthy trees and the village will only let them take out the dead/diseased ones. And, yes, everything gets burned. Now the leaves from the healthy trees are starting to fall and it gives them daily fuel for the fire --- which isn't really a fire, it's a smoke pile. Folks have asked them why they moved to the woods if they don't want to live in the woods. It seems that they like being surrounded by other people's woods but want a yard full of turf grass.

Also, yes, Mr B does have breathing difficulties.....

Oh you poor things, JPB!

Of all the neighbours you could have had, you got these two! What bad luck!
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 05:40 pm
A chap in the pub informing me that the plate apple pies in the shop can be cut into four and with custard or ice-cream make a nice dessert for four days.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:48 pm
JPB - I couldn't read past your first lines - ack! (but, then I did read on - what a bad situation).

G&G over teacher open house for parents. G&Ging not so much about meeting with parents. The bigger problem is the fact that the meetings were from 7-9 pm. I was at or near the school from 7:30 am to 9:20 pm.
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:45 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
G&G over teacher open house for parents. G&Ging not so much about meeting with parents. The bigger problem is the fact that the meetings were from 7-9 pm. I was at or near the school from 7:30 am to 9:20 pm.

Been there, done that, k.
That exhausted zombie feeling, the next day at work, is not exactly wonderful, either!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:23:25