WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

margo

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:15 pm
Yikes, Deb - all sounds too horrific!
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:36 am
@margo,
Well, apparently most of us prolapse a disk at some stage, if we live long enough, so that's just life.
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 02:45 pm
@dlowan,
Made the mistake of reading my superannuation fund information today.

Losses over last two years for me now at the over $100,000 stage.

Not that it's any different for anybody, but LOOKING at the figures still sucks.
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:20 am
@dlowan,
Shocked Oh, that would really upset me, too, Deb (if it applied. Long story.)

It might be an idea to avoid reading these sorts of reports until sunnier economic times. I mean, there aint much you can do about it, so...

Sad
Izzie

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:45 am
@dlowan,
Hey Deb

ex hub had 2 (think I said that a while back... can't remember) - broke his leg first up and wore air brace... this caused disc to herniate about 4 months later (limping - move to California - lifted baby - pop) - agony - 6 weeks on back agony - then surgery. within 24 hours - you wouldn't have known anything had been wrong. Came back to the UK couple years later - no probs for years - prang in the car - 'nother one popped - surgery again (discectomy) (had slight spinal fluid leak to the brain and had a bad headache for 48 hours) - up and running and does regular sport etc now. Surgery is..... surgery. Not always a good option - but it worked for him.

Hope you improve real soon Deb (oh - he also had a back brace to wear which helped - just like a big tight bandage velcro'd up - about 8 inches wide. Made a difference too doing every day things). Feel better.

Just saw your Dragon thought. I put this up a while back but no responses - prolly dropped off the board. Wonder if you knew....

http://able2know.org/topic/126720-2#post-3696037

Take care girl.

MsOlga - where ya been gal - haven't see you in eons Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:24 am
@dlowan,
Just catching up here, Deb, following Izzie's post.

Quote:
I DO have permission to use long service leave days...and I was vaguely planning to maybe use one of these a week for a while...but then I book people into every day, or urgent meetings come up, or I have to write reports, and it goes out the window. I did manage it once...but I walked in for a meeting at 4.00 pm on that day, which was important because the person was down from the outback.

If you could stick to your guns & have a full day off a week for a time, that might really help, Deb. Of course, you'd have to be really strict with yourself about not working on that day ... unless absolutely essential. How much LSL do you have up your sleeve?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:38 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Shocked Oh, that would really upset me, too, Deb (if it applied. Long story.)

It might be an idea to avoid reading these sorts of reports until sunnier economic times. I mean, there aint much you can do about it, so...

Sad

They SEND the yearly statement to one!

I try not to think about it the rest of the time.

Much as I hate watching mine dwindle, I am sorry you have none.

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:45 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I am sorry you have none.

Ah, history! Had to spend it on buying this little house & various other assorted things ... after the Big Split. Mind you, if it hadn't happened, I'd be a lot better off financially, though I'd probably be completely around the bend by now! So there are certain pros & certain cons ... Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:09 pm
Today's G & G: a visiting tom cat. Sadly, a regularly visiting tom cat to my home! He leaves "odoriferous messages" I can't possibly miss. Not nice! Mad Any tried & true suggestions for getting rid of the smell (assuming I can find all the spots) anyone?
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:14 pm
@msolga,
Nil Odor?

Vinegar is a good cleaner.

Then some specific anti-cat stuff around?

I HATE that tom cat marking smell!!!
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:20 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I HATE that tom cat marking smell!!!

You are not alone in that, Deb! Ughhh!

I think (when I left my front window fixed partially open) that he got inside! Eeek! And pewww! Can't do that anymore, obviously. Ms Poppy will just have to make do with her cat door out the back to come & go.

I have been obsessively disinfecting since that episode, but feel I may have missed the odd spot! Sad

Will try to track down Nil Odor. Haven't heard of it before. Thanks.
dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:33 am
@msolga,
Oh man...I feel bad....but I didn't know what else to do.

There's this little gate into my carparking area at home that hardly anyone uses.

I do, because it leads to and from a ramp, and I meed to use the ramp because my knees are too injured to be able to use stairs regularly.

The gate has had various problems during the nine years I have been here.

Eg: In winter, the first rains stop the card scanner from working and you can't open it. Clearly this was a design problem,. which I pointed out every winter for 9 years.

They have often taken months to fix it, and have never previously attended to the design problem....this time the scanner looks different, and has coped with the rain reasonably well.

The other problem is the gate is on a slammer....but often this slams it so hard, it jumps out of the closer, and remains open. Unless you look, it sounds as though it has closed...so this so-called security gate is open at least half the time.

I have also complained about that for years.

Recently, I noticed the gate was open most of a Sunday. That night, someone got in and wrecked the driver side lock of my car, and the boot lock, trying to break in.

I have no idea how much this will cost to fix.

For five years I have been requesting a sign on the inside of the gate telling people the gate needs checking to see if it is closed.

This has not been done.

Tonight, when I got home, the gate would not close at all, until I had slammed it with all my strength.

I rang the strata company, with whom I have tried calm reason, begging, and low-grade anger, and spat the chewie.

I yelled. I threatened legal intervention, I even swore.

I apologised as I was doing it, but said I had no idea what else to try after their refusal to fix a part of the building's security for 9 years.

I ranted.

I raved a little.

next step?

Dunno.

Chaining myself to their front door?
roger

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:38 am
@dlowan,
Or perhaps a friendly note from you solicitor.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:49 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

That sounds like a good idea; that might work.

Another possibility (IF u are willing to pay for it) is to ask permission
from the appropriate authority to have your own mechanic
repair it, or to replace it, to your particular satisfaction.

Over the course of my life, I have discovered
and re-discovered many times that cash
is a much more universal solvent than water ever was.
Cash is a good magic wand, or magic wad. Good Luck!

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:52 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Another cultural difference.

Australians, generally speaking, don't HAVE solicitors!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:55 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

roger wrote:

Another cultural difference.

Australians, generally speaking, don't HAVE solicitors!
Can an Austrailian get a lawyer ?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:11 am
@dlowan,
I would recommend requesting the name of the property owner's insurance company as well as their policy details. I would then contact the insurer and advise that I will be making a claim against the policy.

You likely do not need counsel to deal with the insurance company.

If you have reported the vehicle damage to your own insurance company, they may have already been in touch with the property owner's insurance carrier as they will be subrogating against them for recovery of the damages.
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Are you joking Dave. Everybody can get a lawyer.

Lawyers have not only seen to that but they have made sure that the necessity to get a lawyer is constant and often.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:18 am
@spendius,
David wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Are you joking Dave.
Yes; I are joking, Spendius.

Spendius wrote:
Quote:
Everybody can get a lawyer.
Thank u for that information.

Spendius wrote:
Quote:
Lawyers have not only seen to that but they have made sure that
the necessity to get a lawyer is constant and often.

Yeah, I am fully confident that it was one of us who sabotaged her gate.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:44 am
@ehBeth,
Can't prove the bastard got in via the gate.

They very likely DID, as it's a very exposed place to climb over a wall....but can't prove it.

I am reluctant to claim on MY insurance...because the price is based on my car being in a secure parking facility at night, when it is at home, and I KNOW the little gate was open a significant portion of the period in question.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:11:35