WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 01:09 am
@msolga,
I know, I know.

On the ditch, I was thinking wall, even a short one, or a fence, but the foundation or concrete footings would have to go pretty far down, and it all looks sorta soft - though if the elephants routinely stumble down it and back up, it can't be that soft. I figure there is an engineering solution - hard to see enough of the ditch to posit ideas like terracing. And it probably isn't soft, it might be concrete with rocks in it. Hmmm, then why not footings behind that and a fence.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 01:14 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
On the ditch, I was thinking wall, even a short one, or a fence, but the foundation or concrete footings would have to go pretty far down

Yes, surely there's some workable solution to protect these special & beautiful animals?
Maybe they are simply in the wrong place?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:45 am
More of a heavy sigh than a grit & grimace, really ...

I travelled down to the country today, to visit my 89 year old mother in her nursing home. She's a bit down in the dumps, saying she wants to go home. Though there's no home for her to go to, even if she could look after herself ... her home has been sold. Apart from that, she says many of her personal items have gone missing. She says she thinks they've been stolen. I have no way of knowing for sure, honestly.....
And, at least 3 times, she introduced me to others as her "sister". Though she was reminded each time who I really was. I mean, she does know who I am ... & is really pleased to be able to have a discussion in Ukrainian, for a change. I just think she's lonely (most of her friends are now dead) & plain bored. Sigh.
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:18 am
@msolga,
Sigh.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:37 am
@dlowan,
yup!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:39 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Sigh.

What Deb said.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:40 am
@Roberta,
Yeah. <sigh>
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:42 am
@msolga,
BUT she's still showing interest in the (quite ancient) men! Old devil she is! I'm shocked! Wink
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:49 am
@msolga,
I should point out this is very harmless flirting. Just in case you're wondering .... Wink
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:36 am
Well, that should distract her a bit....
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:52 pm
@caribou,
It seems to, caribou. I wish there were more interesting distractions in that place, though. <sighing again>
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:53 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
. . . Apart from that, she says many of her personal items have gone missing. She says she thinks they've been stolen. I have no way of knowing for sure, honestly. . .

When my Mom was in the nursing home she was convinced of this as well.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 04:20 pm
@George,
So what did you make of this, George?
I sort of have my doubts (but can't be certain, of course), as the missing items would really have little value for anyone else ....
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:37 pm
@msolga,
My mother definitely had items stolen. A friend was coincidentally administrator of the nursing home, and said they had trouble with that.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, I've heard similar stories from a friend who works in nursing homes, osso. It's rather depressing that this happens to vulnerable, old people. But, as I said, in my mother's case the missing items would have had little value for anyone else. Though who knows ....?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
We me, it happened after I bought and labeled a whole bunch of new clothes, underwear, etc.
Eva

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:08 pm
And sometimes it's not the staff, but the other patients who steal stuff.

(big sigh)
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:10 pm
@Eva,
I hadn't thought of that, Eva! Surprised
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:13 pm
Well, sometimes they see things in others' rooms that click in their memory somehow, and they think it's theirs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Hmmmm ... I actually wondered, osso, whether it was peoples' clothes getting lost & "redistributed" by the laundry service - after finding my mother in a nightdress I hadn't seen before ... then wondering what had happened to the (named) nightdresses & some other missing bits & pieces I'd bought for her. Anyway, these losses & a few others, had upset her.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 07/03/2024 at 01:55:32