WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:06 pm
@sozobe,
Urrrrgh.
Hard with neighbors, and your newish neighbor is probably trying to establish presence, may be missing synapses in her state of hope. Or else, she's a controller. Or, likely, was so counting on stuff as to not check her email. It will be interesting to see if she acknowledges your email further.

I liked the kind of neighbor I had in north north, an elderly lady (heh) that invited me over for scones and jam, or tea, or a wee bit of alcohol when she saw me out in the yard between our places. I still miss her (she died suddenly from a long time controlled leukemia), bad day in my view.
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
@msolga,
I think things were sufficiently resolved by the phone. I can't leave sozlet here alone (well, maybe I could but I'd prefer not to -- they're not super-close neighbors) and I don't want to bring her and her germs. She (neighbor) said at the end of it that she'd check email. (Nothing from her yet but I wouldn't expect it, she's mid-party at the moment...)

She seems fluent when I talk to her -- I can usually understand things well enough during conversations and her English is perfect, just accented. (She was born in China and lived in Turkey for a long time, so it's a kind of hard to pin down accent. I can usually "do" accents if they're consistent, though Asian languages/ accents are always harder.)

Anyway! If she's fine with it, I'm fine with it, I just keep imagining her slaving over a meal for 6 adults and 6 kids and then having three of 'em AWOL... will talk to her in person soon enough (probably Monday, we always see each other when we drop off/ pick up kids at school).
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:34 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Anyway! If she's fine with it, I'm fine with it, I just keep imagining her slaving over a meal for 6 adults and 6 kids and then having three of 'em AWOL... will talk to her in person soon enough (probably Monday, we always see each other when we drop off/ pick up kids at school).

Yeah I can understand how you feel, soz. (Even though you did all the right things.) I'd feel exactly the same, in similar circumstances.
It's good she understands & there aren't (by the sounds of it) any hard feelings. (THAT you definitely don't need!) But you really didn't need the completely avoidable drama & worry, either, did you?
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@msolga,
I so didn't!

Thanks for understanding.

You too Osso.

<ungrits teeth a bit>
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@sozobe,
No problem, soz.

As a hopeless Very Hard Trier To Do The Right Thing person, I understand perfectly.

It's downright maddening to do all those right things and STILL end up feeling crappy! Grrrrrrr! Wink
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I liked the kind of neighbor I had in north north, an elderly lady (heh) that invited me over for scones and jam, or tea, or a wee bit of alcohol when she saw me out in the yard between our places. I still miss her (she died suddenly from a long time controlled leukemia), bad day in my view.

Oh! I had that neighbor in PA. Broke my heart when she died suddenly (and on Christmas) of undiagnosed cancer. She was the best part of the whole neighborhood. (Sorry for the diversion.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:49 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

No problem, soz.

As a hopeless Very Hard Trier To Do The Right Thing person, I understand perfectly.

<raises hand>

Hopeless-er!

I'm calming down a bit. Had an adrenalin rush when I got the call. ("but but but...")
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:51 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Hopeless-er!

Impossible! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:51 pm
@sozobe,
Oh dear.

These things always feel uncomfortable, don't they?

But, doubtless it will all settle itself nicely.

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:53 pm
@FreeDuck,
Oh FD - so sorry...

I grimaced about how HR Personnel and DCC Payroll can so completely screw up my contactual "promises" and leave me with half pay for the next two months whilst I have surgery. The pay's not the issue - I will survive perfectly fine - it's the fact the Government agencies cna really do and say anything they wish and be total tossers when they the stick their opposing 2 Cents in and know you haven't the strength to fight with a few days before surgery..... bloody backstabbing, unprofessional and "it's jacks fault over there" Eejits. Evil or Very Mad

Done Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:21 pm
@FreeDuck,
Oh FreeDuck, how terrible. Such a loss for you.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:59 pm
Waiting for a freezer to be delivered for over a week as mine went kaput.... the delivery men turned up at 6.30pm and after unloading it found it was all bashed in on the corner and wouldnt even stand up so they made some calls on my landline to be told to uplift it to return to depot and that there are no more in stock and it's up to me to sort it out from here on in. Customer blinking service - NOT!

not being able to go out and get one myself.... it's frustrating as heck

sorry, whinge over... nothing important really... just a bit of a grrrrrrrrr

done, dusted

onwards and upwards
msolga

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:12 pm
@Izzie,
What a bugger! Aw you poor soul, Izzie!

How is your foot progressing & how long before you'll be able to walk again? Not a minute too soon for you, I'm absolutely certain!

In the meantime, is there a friend who can assist with sorting through the freezer stuff-up? Perhaps they have other suitable brands in the warehouse? Anyway, the company doesn't sound sound at all helpful in finding a solution to not being able to meet it's end of the bargain! A pox on them!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:06 pm
So for a few months now I've had this damn struggle with i-Tunes.

I'd been using it on an old desktop that pretty much just serves as a jukebox. Thing is, the thing is breaking down, so I wanted to move to my laptop. I've got an external hard drive to store all music files on.

I download i-Tunes to my laptop and I can't access the store. I run diagnostics, and it tells me it successfully establishes a secure connection to the store, but if I actually try to open the store through i-Tunes, it tells me to make sure I have an active internet connection and try again. I've gone through all the online expert boards and such, tried every solution -- going as far as using Norton removal tool to remove all Norton files from my computer (my annual subscription was about to expire anyway, and I was willing to try out other protection programs) -- that was suggested. Still no dice.

There appear to be a fair number of folks out there with this same problem -- they upgrade i-Tunes, and they can no longer access store on that machine. They can access on other machines using their account. Some have spent hours with Apple's tech support people, to no avail. Apple is offering no assistance.

Not a network or wifi issue, either, nor an OS issue -- there are XP, Vista, and Mac OSX users all having this problem. It's not an ISP issue or even a regional issue.

OK, fine. So I won't be buying content from the i-Tunes store any more. I can certainly live with that. I'd rather buy from emusic anyway -- they're cheaper, and they only deal with independent labels (which covers most of what I buy anyway).

But today I hooked up the external hard drive to my laptop and went to play an album I had bought through i-Tunes. It asks me to enter username and password to authorize this computer for my account.

And again I run into this damn phantom store connection issue. So I can't listen to stuff I frickin' paid for on the new computer because through some glitch in the i-Tunes upgrading process the ****** refuses to work.

Just great.

Haven't tried to rip a CD burned on the other (working, for the time being) machine through the laptop, but I have a sneaking feeling it's not going to work.

Goddamn Apple bastards.
patiodog

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:07 pm
@patiodog,
Which is a more enjoyable thing to grit about than the damned neglected and abused dogs I've been dealing with at work all week, but it still pisses me off. Where's David Horowitz when you need him?
dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:42 pm
@patiodog,
Bugger.

Nowhere near that quality of gripe....but my computer just stopped getting ANY sound from Youtube.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:20 am
@patiodog,
You have my complete sympathy (& gratitude!) , patiodog. Very tough work for a person who loves animals.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is David Horowitz?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:00 pm
Kevin and Perry and the nutty floater... eeewwwwwwww!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 12:06 am
Photo of a mourning elephant - and why...
http://imgs.sfgate.com/n/pictures/2009/03/02/mourn11.jpg

RIP, Annabel: An elephant at Holland's Emmen Zoo mourns at the edge of a ditch where 45-year-old Annabel, the zoo's oldest elephant, fell in and died. The zoo said its elephants regularly stumble into the ditch that surrounds their compound and are able to climb out, but that Annabel was unable to.
via SFGate.com
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 12:12 am
@ossobuco,
That photograph made me cry, osso.

And I'm wondering why this ditch can't somehow be fixed, somehow - surely it's do-able? - so that elephants don't regularly stumble into it & die.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 4.19 seconds on 07/05/2024 at 11:13:05