Why does the Universe exist?

InfraBlue

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

As someone else already pointed out, the primary definition of sound has nothing to do with a perceiver, it's just periodic compression and expansion in a medium.

The only 'human' part of the primary definition is the range of frequencies, the ones human can hear. But there are sounds that humans can't even hear and bats, dogs, etc. can, yet again taking humans out of the picture.

The definition that was pointed out was for the term "sound wave," not "sound."

And you're ignoring the point I made about the word "sound" not existing if no one or nothing could hear, seeing as how it's based on that ability.
reasoning logic

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 05:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The only 'human' part of the primary definition is the range of frequencies, the ones human can hear. But there are sounds that humans can't even hear and bats, dogs, etc. can, yet again taking humans out of the picture.

Take humans out of the picture and non of what you just shared would exist. all of the concepts you just covered were constructed by humans.
cicerone imposter

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
Take humans out of the equation, and this conversation wouldn't exist. Wink
Leadfoot

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:08 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
And you're ignoring the point I made about the word "sound" not existing if no one or nothing could hear, seeing as how it's based on that ability.

You have obviously never been near a hip-hop fan's car

I should'a dropped the tree thing when I said I would
InfraBlue

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

You have obviously never been near a hip-hop fan's car

I should'a dropped the tree thing when I said I would

That pounding that you feel throughout your body when standing near a hip-hop fan's car is not "hearing." A deaf person would feel it as well. The word "sound" would not be used to describe that pounding if no one had the ability to hear seeing as how the word "sound" is in reference to the ability to hear.
reasoning logic

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Take humans out of the equation, and this conversation wouldn't exist.

As with all other conversations. 2 Cents
cicerone imposter

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
So true😜
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:56 am
Experiencing has no owners...
The world has no maker...
Your senses are the world...
Subjectivy does not create itself....

/Thread.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:03 am
@InfraBlue,
We been debating a joke for too long here.

I still haven't heard anyone nullify my 'recorder in the woods' proof.
catbeasy

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:06 am
@Leadfoot,
Your recorder in the woods example still begs the question. No one is saying that there isn't sound waves produced when a tree falls - (with a perceiver) that fact doesn't need a tape recorder. By using the tape recorder example you have only removed the show to another stage, but same show..We still have to perceive the thing..this time from a recorder..

What is at question is that that wave appears to be a wave because we perceive it that way. What it is otherwise, who knows? Or is it anything otherwise? Would it exist without us? I think so, but I cannot say that it logically would because I cannot validate anything outside of my own perceptual world. Its as simple as that. This is no external point of reference. This IS a logical issue. It shows us that we can only go so far in our justifications for knowledge, that at some point there is no further justification possible, we have reached the limits of our understanding and we just say, "I believe".

Again, this isn't a pragmatic concern - which if it were your trivializing of this issue would make sense. This is about the nature of knowledge and our limits concerning it. If this discussion ended with all of us copping to the fact that we cannot resolve this issue with the satisfaction that we resolve things that are "in front of us", things that are at a level of justification, then we would all shrug and say, ok then..NEXT!
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 09:10 am
@catbeasy,
Yes n no. Your pov also begs the question just as much as he does.
Does subjectivity create itself ? If it is a "thing" then its objective.
Or it is not a thing...
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 09:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You cannot subjectivise subjectivity without invalidating it. If on the other hand you do admit the objective nature of subjectivy you might just as well admit the "world". That is to mean, mind its not in the mind. You people confuse the Avatar with the subject when world is all there is. Mind you an on rails not free logical frivolous rational reality.
There is no opposition to Being, Existing, because Nothingness is nothing at all. Final remark subjectivy is a pseudo concept.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 09:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Your pov also begs the question just as much as he does.

Fil, I don't know. I'm not taking a side on this..ontologically at least. My point was that its not so much an open and shut case..
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 10:29 am
@catbeasy,
I took me 10 or more years to debunk subjectivity...Its not an easy topic. I fully understand what are the major points idealists/rationalists are trying to make.Our mind is the solely filter of experiencing yada yada yada...I know !
Problem being mind must fit some form of definition and stand for something.
If mind as creator of any reality is an objective thing then it did not create itself out of its own non existing bootstraps. (You cannot have mind out of mind) Hence mind is an "Avatar" a phenomena of a pre existing World itself...Get it ? It has no genuine ontological status...
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 10:32 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
This kills 2 rabbits in a go. The idea of a mind of all minds, God, and the idea Consciousness is something special. I reduce it to complex computation.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 01:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm not sure if I get what you are driving at because I don't understand your terms very well or at all. I don't know what a "pre-existing World Self" is. And, pardon my cynicism, but I'm not sure anyone knows the Truth to the answer to these questions for precisely not only the lack of agreement on definitions, but also because the definitions at this level, are often blurry/ill-defined.

At that depth I believe any 'truths' are often more felt than intellectually apprehended. I don't believe our words are fit for explication on that level of query. I think that we are part of a whole and as such asking for universal comprehension is a bit like the liver comprehending the whole organism including not only the physical but intangibles like motivations and such..

I do agree though that on some level we can converse. Your assertion that mind must fit into a definition and stand for something, I agree with - as a general proposition. I'm just not sure we can get down to what exactly that is..Which would be how I'm using the term: ontological.
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:28 pm
@catbeasy,
In other worlds, it's all guess work. However, we do have science which is pretty dependable for us humans.
Since technology to examine our universe is relatively new, I'm pretty happy with the progress I've seen during my life time.
However, I do question the big bang theory.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 03:23 pm
@catbeasy,
The topic is as follows:

If mind is the creator of our reality then mind would have to create mind
or mind would not be real, but then of course mind cannot create mind before mind itself exists, thus, minds cannot be created out of minds. In turn this implies a world which is not the product of a subjective mind objectively exits.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 03:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
In sum mind cannot be the justifier of mind its a circular argument. This alone refutes the idea that all there is is a subjective product of our imagination.If nothing else minds could not be the creators of minds. Thus minds would themselves be the world not created but a priori, from which there would be no creative freedom from the bedrock of all Being.
Krumple

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 03:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

In sum mind cannot be the justifier of mind its a circular argument. This alone refutes the idea that all there is is a subjective product of our imagination.If nothing else minds could not be the creators of minds. Thus minds would themselves be the world not created but a priori, from which there would be no creative freedom from the bedrock of all Being.

However; an aspect that gets overlooked. Let me use an analogy to present my point.

A car is made up of parts bolted together. Take one part by itself and you wouldn't call that part, the car. Nor does the car function without certain parts. Remove the motor, would you still call it a car? It's not accurate if you do. The sum of its parts create the car.

The same is true for the mind. It is created from a series of parts. None of which by themselves make up a mind but when they merge a mind is found. Remove one part and the mind ceases to be. It is only the coming together where the mind exists. If it does not come together no mind exists.