Why does the Universe exist?

Edward Fenel

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 05:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good, so this topic does not interest you anymore. What a shame.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 06:44 am
CI is testy about many things lately.
What does that portend I wonder?
Amoh5

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:38 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think Ed may have been a bit too unclear in his reasoning for CI.
I think what Ed was trying to say is that the containment of something is always the opposite of that something.
Like wet can only be contained by something dry. Therefore, something can only be contained by nothing and so forth.
But speaking about opposites containing each other, what would be the opposite of fire so it can be contained?
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:48 pm
@Amoh5,
You're so smart, explain this from the 'wise one.'
Quote:
Metaphorically Yes, but then Everything sums to zero, Nothing.
Amoh5

Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Like I said I think he was talking about opposites containing each other, like dry contains wet, nothing contains something etc etc. It is an interesting theory, but I'm not sure if all opposites are capable of containing each other.
I can only say that his reasoning calculates opposites containing each other, either one-way or two-way?
Leadfoot

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 08:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're so smart, explain this from the 'wise one.'

"Metaphorically Yes, but then Everything sums to zero, Nothing."

I'm guessing he's trying to embrace the recent speculations from Quantum Mechanics, one of which is that 'the universe created itself from nothing' or more 'scientifically', 'the universe was the result of a quantum fluctuation' (nothing).

But I'm with you on this one, I call BS. There is no more evidence of that than for the God which they dismiss for that very reason.
Amoh5

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
I don't get the "Everything sums to zero" though. I don't think there is a pictorial reference for the concept of "nothing."
Maybe hes merely making reference to himself when he will die one day...
cicerone imposter

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:58 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
NEW YORK — It was all much ado about nothing as physicists and thinkers came together to debate the concept of nothing Wednesday (March 20) here at the American Museum of Natural History.

The simple idea of nothing, a concept that even toddlers can understand, proved surprisingly difficult for the scientists to pin down, with some of them questioning whether such a thing as nothing exists at all.

The first, most basic idea of nothing — empty space with nothing in it — was quickly agreed not to benothing. In our universe, even a dark, empty void of space, absent of all particles, is still something.

It's something because we an identify it.
Amoh5

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
Nothing or zero is just a human concept for counting and measuring things.
I don't think it can be applied to the universe because there are things that exist that our limited senses can't percieve, unless we use certain technologies to help us.
But the Law of Conservation of Energy says that energy cannot be created nor destroyed...
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:49 am
@Amoh5,
How come we need to keep buying batteries?
0 Replies

Edward Fenel

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 02:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Metaphorically Yes, but then Everything sums to zero, Nothing.

the word "Metaphorically" refers to the Sum operator. It is well defined on numbers. If you "sum" an apple to another apple, you sum them metaphorically, because after all "sum" is only defined for numbers (or vectors, etc..).

However, if you agree to use the word "sum" in a metaphorical way instead of mathematical way, then we can say that "Every thing sums to Nothing".in the same way that something that is both True and False, is neither True nor False

(see, "both" is the same as "neither", Everything and Nothing are the same)
0 Replies

Edward Fenel

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 02:22 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I don't get the "Everything sums to zero" though. I don't think there is a pictorial reference for the concept of "nothing."

Let us forget about the word "sum".

Even when we say "Everything is Nothing" the sentence is wrong, because we use the verb "is", which implies existence, whereas Nothing is not a thing, and does not exist.

The best way to phrase it is to say:
"Everything and Nothing are two interchangeable words"
0 Replies

Edward Fenel

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 02:57 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Nothing or zero is just a human concept

Infinity is not a thing. It is not a number. You cannot reach infinity, it is not somewhere. You will never "get there".

You cannot imagine infinity.

Is infinity a human concept, if no human can imagine it?

Call it whatever name you want, concept or not. But it is a very special one, one that you cannot imagine.

"Everything" is the absolute infinity. It is not only the infinity in one direction on one axis (like for numbers). Instead, it is the infinity in all directions.

And not only directions, it is the infinity in colors, the infinity in feelings, the infinity in sensations, the infinity in shapes, the infinity in mathematical functions, the infinity in smell, the infinity in... it is Everything.

Any thing you can think of is inside Everything. Even non-mathematical stuff, whatever, you name it.
Even things you cannot think of, such as new colors.. In fact, your consciousness is just a finite subpart of Everything.

You cannot imagine Everything.

And Everything and Nothing are the same.
In fact, you cannot imagine Nothing, can you? It's funny right?

"Everything" is like the Set of Sets in mathematics, it does not exist. It is no-thing. You cannot define infinity, because do define is to delimit and confine, and you cannot confine infinity. Infinity means no limit. Infinity is not something, rather it is the absence of limit.

If you have a 2-d space, you can draw a circle on it.
What is the smallest circle you can draw? ...a point.

But what difference is there between:
- a circle with infinite radius
- nothing, not even a point

If you try to "capture" Everything by drawing a line around it (circle with infinite radius) you end up having captured Nothing.

This is just one specific metaphor in a specific context example, but I could tell you hundreds other metaphors in totally different contexts.

Anyway, anyhow, Everything and Nothing are interchangeable. they are the same infinite One.

I mean it's not even my idea, it is explained with more precision here if you need..: https://astezar.wordpress.com/all-is-one/
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 03:15 pm
@Edward Fenel,
Simply put, infinity is beyond whatever one is trying to measure.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 05:08 pm
@Edward Fenel,
Quote:
Everything and Nothing are the same.
In fact, you cannot imagine Nothing, can you? It's funny right?

Hilarious.
0 Replies

True Philosopher

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 02:48 pm
Why does the Universe exist?

Its the only way the ONE and only can BE. To transition from just IS, to BEing, it has to go through the evolution of change. That change is what you perceive around you right now. What you perceive as the Universe, is but 1 of 3 states, the ONE and only exists as. There's the Foundation state(before big bang, awaking, or word), Action state(Reality/Universe), and the Creation state(Information/Resonance). Thus the Universe can be seen as the Spirit of the ONE.
cicerone imposter

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 08:42 pm
@True Philosopher,
The reason the universe exists is because it can exist. I read that on the internet, and believe it's the best answer.
Leadfoot

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 10:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My dream as a kid was to have my own computer. They were multi million dollar things at the time. I'd say that the reason affordable computers exist is because they could or equally ludicrous, because I wanted them too. But the truth is, anything as complex as a computer requires lots of intellectual effort to come about.

There are no exceptions.
0 Replies

mark noble

Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:08 am
@Edward Fenel,
Your only (Conceptual) issue - Is assuming that 'Nothing' is the, causal, opposite to 'everything'.
"Nothing" doesn't exist, therefor cannot be, dynamically applied.
0 Replies

mark noble

Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:13 am
@Edward Fenel,
'everything' = The sum of all things.
'nothing' = The absence of all things.

How are they the same?
0 Replies