HP or Dell, which is a better Desktop for graphics?

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 06:36 am
I need to purchase one of these, I have used both HP and Dell in the past but not specifically for graphics, I was satisfied with both. However, since I am purchasing a new system, which main use will be for graphics, I am not sure which to choose, I've searched many forums and blogs, still can't get a result. Basically what I am seeing is that both computers are good however since HP's after sales service is much better than Dell's, then HP takes the lead. Dell's after sales help has been doing much better as of recent. I just want the better brand. The only difference in the configuration below is that Dell has room to increase the memory from for 8gb to 16gb and HP is only 8gb max. Please help me, any information, suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

HP Pavilion p7xt and Dell XPS 8300 both are priced at $750 - Desktops

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
No secondary hard drive
Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
No additional security software
1GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT520 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
SuperMulti DVD Burner
Wireless-N LAN card (2x2)
15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
No TV Tuner
Integrated sound
HP keyboard and optical mouse

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:33 am
@annisha820,
If all things are equal with the exception of the capacity for RAM then basically go with the Dell.

How can either computer have the graphic advantage over the other if they share the same processor, video card, and same speed hard drive to access the programs and files? Clearly if you upgrade the Dell to 16gb's then you'll notice less lag time processing wise in dealing with the arena of graphic department.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:51 am
@annisha820,
When you say "graphics" it doesn't give us much information. Are you working on large image files, editing hi def video or is this for playing hi def games or videos?

As is already mentioned, the more memory the better if you are working with large image files.
For working with video you want more memory and a faster hard drive and a fast video card.

Are you doing graphics for yourself or being paid to do it for others? The upfront cost for a good graphics computer can pay for itself. The 10-40% more time you will take with this rig might not be an issue if you don't mind doing other things while the computer churns away but for business spend the money and get a MacPro or an Intel based server machine.
0 Replies

jessicadavid

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:24 am
@annisha820,
HP desktop is best for graphics, experiencing it, don't know much bout Dell Smile
0 Replies

Ryanloop

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 09:15 am
@annisha820,
In fact the mark of the PC does not matter, it could be brand duckling as Homer Simpson said, what matters are the internal components either processor, RAM and above all a good video card
0 Replies

Sachin Karpe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:59 am
@annisha820,
Hi i am Sachin Karpe, if you are looking for graphics for gaming then the Dell would be a better choice in terms of clarity and experience.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:51 am
I've read that newer HP laptops have cooling technology which can force the cpu into a lower speed mode making it problematical for gaming. Other than that I'd check the specs on the graphics card for any laptop I thought about buying.
0 Replies