farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 03:44 pm
@ehBeth,
is it kosher ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 03:46 pm
@farmerman,
mrs F made some this morning with freedom toast. It was not entirely disgusting . We were outta maple serp and hadda use molasses for the freedom toast. It was a real erzats breakfass
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
this is shad roe seson and I wonder what turkey bacon wrapped around a roe side would be like. We seem to have to bake it in the oven so it crisps a bit. I tried some in the nuke and it was like eating a bacon flavored watch band
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 04:01 pm
@farmerman,
It has to be crispy to work. I think the crisp gets rid of the otherwise weird texture.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 04:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ok, now how to accomplish "crispiness" . Are there secrets?

I think that turkey bacon in a BLT would be good, if just because I could add a whole bunch of slices without feeling too guilty. IF, I could get it crisp
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 04:25 pm
@farmerman,
the only way I know to get it crispy is the microwave

chowhounders came to the same conclusion

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/553180
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
I’ve never been a fan of turkey bacon. I’ve tried it several times because of it being less fattening but it just doesn’t compare to the good ol fashion pork bacon.
Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 05:20 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
like eating a bacon flavored watch band
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:11 pm
I've never tried a bacon flavored watchband. The only time I like turkey is a randomly occurring whole turkey that is edible after the cooking effort, and then leftovers from that. I'd probably like goose as CJane suggests instead of turkey if I ever ran across one to cook. Hmmm, bacon flavored goosey watchband?

Our friend Harvey used to cook a shad roe dinner once a year. I remember liking them but not exactly how they were cooked. Rather plain, and I'm guessing broiled. Now I'm going to have to look up recipes to see if any ring a bell.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:22 pm
@farmerman,
Will it be covered with a nice tasty dark chocolate?
msolga

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
discuss.

I'm trying to imagine what turkey bacon is.
I've honestly never heard of it before.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:44 pm
@jcboy,
sorta my exact thoughts. My wife is all fussy about me living another year or two.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:46 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I’ve never been a fan of turkey bacon. I’ve tried it several times because of it being less fattening but it just doesn’t compare to the good ol fashion pork bacon.

...but, but, you're Jewish!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:47 pm
@msolga,
http://bacontoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/turkey-bacon-full.jpg
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:48 pm
@msolga,
I've eaten it. It's very similar to real bacon (except for the taste, of course Smile.) What it is, msolga, is minced turkey meat that's been pressed into paper-thin strips to look like bacon and flavored with something or other to give it a bacony taste. I believe it's considered kosher by observant Jews.

fm, ehBeth is right in that a good way to achieve crispiness is to microwave the life out of the piece of meat. But it also helps to make sure it's thoroughly drained with paper towels.

As others have already said, it'll serve in an emergency.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:58 pm
Some ideas here:
http://honestcooking.com/2012/02/29/the-beauty-of-shad-roe/

I was thinking of olive oil for sauteing then lemon and capers and one of the things this writer comes up with is a a butter/lemon/parsley sauce..

I see from googling bacon is traditional, has been sort of forever. I suppose that tastes best but I don't think I've had it that way.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks Andrew & Osso.
So it's a sort of reconstituted turkey meat product?
I'm very suspicious of any of those types of meat products ... ya never really know what's actually in them! Wink
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:10 pm
@ossobuco,
the traditional way for shad roe is to take one of the horns of the shad uterus(I have no idea what the damn roes are packed in -in their bodies). The roe is like a ittle pack of fishy eggs. You wash em , salt em a bit, wrap em in bacon that has been only lightly fried until just clear). Then you finish the bacon wrapped roe in butter. You serve with a remoulade or a hollandaise or , if you are really fancy a bernaise (Keep it on the side cause sometimes the dish is better without anything)
Serve this with cold asparagus spears that have been lightly parboiled so they are still erect. The asparagus is served with like a rice wine or balsamic vinaigrette. Its a springtime favorite along the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers