farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:11 pm
@Sturgis,
Ive heard of bacon ice cream and its a kind of a nutella flavor with salty chips of something like bacon flavored salad chips. Bleechh
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:15 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I'm trying to imagine what turkey bacon is.
I've honestly never heard of it before.
turkey bits are pressed into a bacon like loaf with all kinds of chemical flavorings and additives along with layers of fat(Kinda like a tureen (sp?) or pate loaf is made) then its partially cooked so you can eat it like baloney. It actually kinda looks like bacon strips.
You either nuke em or put em in the oven.
I guess its something some stoner who works for Oscar Meyer came up with.

Hell, yopu guys eat cane toad spread no?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:15 pm
@farmerman,
My memory is the cooked shad roe looked like sausages.. sort of. + 25 years ago, now. Anyway, what you describe sounds delicious.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:18 pm
@ossobuco,
yeh , youre basicaly eating the entire egg sac. Its important to not overcook em. Theouter layers are just cooked and the inner layers should still pop in yer mouth like hot caviar , except that its wrapped in bacon
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, farmer.
Got it now.

Quote:
I guess its something some stoner who works for Oscar Meyer came up with.

Ha.

I don't think there's much of a market for cane toad spread.
I think they might actually be poisonous!
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:34 pm
@msolga,
so is fugu. yet theres a whole bunches of folks that take their lives in their hands to eat the damn toady fish
msolga

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
Really?
Me, I'm no adventurous culinary thrill seeker.
So I'll steer clear of the cane toad spread and the fugu.
Cowardly, I know.

At least turkey bacon isn't poisonous.
That's something to be said for it, yes? Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:00 pm
Turkeys eat bacon?
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
how ya think we fatten em up for thanksgiving??
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi7KSa4peAPJaSnPkNttN1bvuZrnKG52mMC-OXALc_azLQQlhuTA
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:07 pm
@Irishk,
I know that the commodities markets will soon be providing a category of farm product called "Turkey Bellies"

Im gonna buy me some contracts first day of trading.

ps are you using a Wacom bamboo?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 04:17 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
...but, but, you're Jewish! Cool

Only until I get the nose job
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 06:25 am
Kosher questions - for something to be certified kosher, that's gotta be by a Rabbi. So you need to look for a U in a circle or a K in a circle, that kind of thing. Look at labels, and read ingredients. When you go deeper into ingredients, you may find beef (which is kosher but only IF killed properly and not mixed with dairy).

Here's an article on the topic -
http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new_york/bacon_your_plate

I have eaten turkey bacon. It's meh, so far as I'm concerned. These days I do not eat it but it's not because of kosher law. It's because it's too salty.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:35 am
@jespah,
I imagine that Hebrew National is kosher enuff.

It is salty and, I noticed one thing. When we cook reglar bacon and dont eat the whole pound, the left overs dont last. Turkey bacon? not so much. Its still in the fridge and the dogs love it best.

I imagine that itd be okay for cheeseburgers on the grille
Irishk

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:48 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
When we cook reglar bacon and dont eat the whole pound, the left overs dont last.
This is so true. I tried Ina Garten's tip to keep it in the freezer -- she said bacon doesn't freeze solid because of its high fat content, so would be easy to just take a few slices at a time.

She's wrong. It does freeze solid -- at least in my freezer.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:53 am
@Irishk,
One of my jobs for mrs. hamburgboy used to be repackaging all bacon into smaller amounts - she'd then bundle up all my little wax paper packages of 3 or 4 slices of bacon into a giant baggie and freeze them. That approach really helps when making bacon bits - it's much easier to slice/dice frozen bacon than raw bacon.
Irishk

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:56 am
@ehBeth,
Great tip! I kept thinking there was something wrong with my freezer lol.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:25 am
That's a great idea re freezing (actually, it's a great idea re any kind of freezing).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 03:20 pm
@farmerman,
Just don't overdo the molasses or you could end up like Boston did...

I've had the turkey bacon ain't too bad. Wouldn't use it though for scallops wrapped in bacon.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 03:38 pm
Turkey bacon (the good kind like Applegate brand) has a place in my kitchen. I don't use it as a replacement for real bacon, nothing can replace real bacon, but it is an excellent substitute for ham, especially in things like quiche or chicken cordon bleu.
0 Replies