200 Days to ING Marathon- Will Joe be ready?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Here ya go, Asp: http://able2know.org/topic/91630-1
aspvenom

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Merci Beaucoup
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:24 am
@ossobuco,
Wow, Osso, how did you find that? I looked a couple of times yesterday but could not for the life of me remember what I called it.

It's a pretty good thread. If I do say so myself. <blush>

I read through March last night...what a great encouragement George was, he made me feel as if I was a real runner. ~~What great correspondents everyone was here at A2K. I was so grateful for all the comments, hints, pointers and, I am not really sure how to put this, the presence of everyone who wrote on that thread. It made me feel a part of a larger community.

I am going to read some more. Cool

Next Sunday will be my fifth (what?! How did that happen?) New York City Marathon.
I am just barely ready, but I am ready.
This weekend I am going to go trot around the Park, visit some places that have inspired me and put my head where it needs to be.

Maybe say some things that I need to say to myself.

Joe(writing has always seem to make things stick)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:43 am
@Joe Nation,
Running HOW many miles ?

Last nite, I almost hyperventillated
after walking for about 10 minutes, at an ez pace.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:49 am
@Joe Nation,
Don 't forget your ankle cam.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David:
Quote:
Running HOW many miles ?

I know. It's seems far.

Twenty-six miles and three hundred and eighty-five yards.

I saw a shirt a few years ago that made me laugh:

What couldn't Philippides have died at Mile 22?

More later,

Joe(I'm back on the road)Nation

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 08:09 am
@Joe Nation,
I went to your profile, clicked on your topics, and started looking at titles beginning at the earliest. The thread was the first one that had a title that had anything to do with running.

Then, I started to read it. 45 minutes later I got to March too. Lots of weather happening that March. (Going to read it through...)
And George was great.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I did read through. Cried again. I wasn't the only one back then, there were seven of us. George, bless'm, went to the bathroom, which he well deserved as Coach when women were off smiling and weeping.

A classic thread, one that builds and does it well.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:08 am
@Joe Nation,
David:
DAVID wrote:
Running HOW many miles ?
Joe Nation wrote:
I know. It's seems far.

Twenty-six miles and three hundred and eighty-five yards.

I saw a shirt a few years ago that made me laugh:

What couldn't Philippides have died at Mile 22?

More later,

Joe(I'm back on the road)Nation
I don 't even wanna take CABS that far.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:44 am
@ossobuco,
great re-read eh

I'd forgotten that the Empress, Brenda and I had worn orange shirts the day of JoeN's run. It explains the orange shirt in the cupboard (I'd been wondering recently why I had a heavy cotton orange shirt).

(and I got schniffy again re-reading the last 8 or 10 pages)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:50 am
So Joe, and other people here, do you think the marathon should happen as scheduled given the Sandy-destruction?

I lean towards "no" from what I know so far, though I get the whole "show must go on" sort of thing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:04 am
Okay. It's official.

I am not running this year's NYC Marathon. I cannot, in good conscience, participate in an event which takes the attention of a single policeman, EMT, or other emergency worker away from helping deal with the crisis this City of New York is presently facing.

That is to say nothing about the hundreds of thousands of other people elsewhere in New Jersey and Connecticut, out on Long Island,,, still without electricity, still in shelters, still in the very midst of recreating their rain-soaked, windblown lives.

I cannot run through the streets of the city and expect someone to be there to hand me a cup of water when so many are hurting.

I thank everyone for their encouragement of my running (I need the close attention and love) and I hope everyone will consider giving what they can to the relief agencies and the Red Cross.

We'll do this again next November. Be well.

♥♥Joe(dammit)Nation
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:05 am
@Joe Nation,
Well that answers my question I think!

Be well yourself, and looking forward to next November....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 11:37 am

go get 'em next year, Joe...

Screw the NYC Marathon
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kris-lopresto/nyc-marathon-sandy_b_2061007.html
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 12:47 pm
Quote:
The event, which relies on the support of public officials such as the New York City Police and Fire departments, along with the strength of thousands of volunteers, is facing myriad logistical challenges, which include but are not limited to accessing the starting area on Staten Island, a flooded finish line, storm damage in Central Park, a largely inoperable public transit system, as well as travel cancellations and delays for more than half of the field's anticipated 47,000 entrants, many of those coming from international locations. Even under perfect conditions, staging the event is a logistical headache. Given the current circumstances, it's a nightmare.

New York is a city that has a proven history of encountering tragedy only to unite and overcome it, even under the gravest of situations. I have no doubt that the city will do so again during these trying times, but staging a marathon this weekend -- even the biggest and most recognizable one in the world -- while the city it winds through is in the direst of straits shouldn't be a priority, and it does very little to improve the current situation for many of the 8 million-plus people who call the Big Apple home. I'm ready to be ripped apart for what I'm about to write, but the New York City Marathon does not need to happen this Sunday. There are more pressing issues that rightfully deserve the city's attention, energy and limited resources.

Electing to cancel an event of this magnitude is not an easy decision by any stretch, and some would even argue advisable or conscionable, but given the situation it's a difficult one that must be made for the greater good of New York City and its residents. Period.
(espn)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 01:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
You're a good, thoughtful man JoeNation.

My orange JoeNie supporter shirt will be ready again to wear next year.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks for the Huff article. I just pasted it all over Facebook.

Joe(I can run anytime I want, I just can't run any time I want)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:07 pm
After reading more and considering, I think they should...

- Continue to mobilize (generators, food, water, etc., etc.)
- Cancel the marathon soon but not immediately (tomorrow morning?)
- Direct the mobilized resources towards those who need it.

I understand there are going to be runners who will be really upset about this, but....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:19 pm
Bloomberg miscalculated...he expected new yorkers to rally around the event in pride "you can't keep us defeated!", instead this event registers offense and miscalculation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
Via Reuters,

Quote:
NYC Marathon canceled, reports NBC News

Cycloptichorn