200 Days to ING Marathon- Will Joe be ready?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
I can see thinking both ways, cancel and don't, but come down to JoeN's take on it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
sozobe wrote:
Cancel the marathon soon but not immediately (tomorrow morning?)

...or this evening!

(Nothing on the NYT yet. "Breaking" on Yahoo.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:29 pm
@sozobe,
Ah, here we go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/sports/new-york-city-marathon-will-not-be-held-sunday.html

Quote:
Among the many details that remain unclear are whether race would be postponed or canceled entirely and how popular the plan would be among the field of nearly 50,000 runners who were expected to compete in Sunday’s marathon, thousands of whom traveled to New York from other countries.

Mayor Bloomberg and Wittenberg, who is chief executive of New York Road Runners, the organization that operates the marathon, repeatedly stood behind the plan, insisting it was best for the city. But many runners joined a chorus of politicians and area residents this week in speaking out against the plan to stage the marathon despite the widespread damage wrought by the storm Monday night.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:38 pm
@sozobe,
NPR reports that the Marathon has been cancelled.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:50 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Okay. It's official.

I am not running this year's NYC Marathon.

Now that your not running the NYC Marathon (moot by its recent cancellation), have you considered running the Boston Marathon in April?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was thinking along those lines, tsar.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:09 pm
"Disenfranchised" Marathon Runners Vow To Run On Sunday Anyway
http://gothamist.com/2012/11/02/defiant_marathon_participants_vow_t.php
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 07:53 am
@tsarstepan,
You have to qualify for Boston. Presently, I'd have to take about an hour and half off of my time.

There are 300 other marathons to run.

meh.
I'm going down this morning to get my shirt and number.

Put them on the running wall.
Joe(or in a drawer)Nation
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:44 pm
Quote:
EW YORK (AP) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to sell the New York City Marathon as a symbolic victory for the city after a devastating storm, invoking two of the biggest symbols of them all — Rudy Giuliani and 9/11.
The former mayor, Bloomberg said, made the right decision by holding the marathon less than two months after the 2001 terror attacks: "It pulled people together, and we have to find some ways to express ourselves and show our solidarity with each other."
Then, he kept talking.
"You have to keep going and doing things, and you can grieve, you can cry and you can laugh all at the same time," he said.
And once again, the city cringed, hearing another false note that renewed familiar criticism that New York's billionaire businessman mayor is tone-deaf to suffering during a crisis. By the time Bloomberg changed course three hours later Friday and called off the world's largest marathon, he already had offended a passel of flood-weary New Yorkers.
"He is clueless without a paddle to the reality of what everyone else is dealing with," fumed Joan Wacks, whose waterfront condo in Staten Island was under 4 feet of water. "He's supposed to be the mayor of all the city, but he's really the mayor of Manhattan."

http://news.yahoo.com/stance-marathon-mayor-misreads-nyc-070257392--spt.html

NAILED. IT.

the super rich are not like the rest of us, no matter how much they want to think that they are.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
I can see the mayor's view in the immediate time period. His view is more complicated than mine - I am not a maven of monetary estimations combined with city emotions, not my city though I love it.

roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I could work with either decision.

So Joe's got another 36x days to get ready. Good Luck, Joe.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:23 pm
@roger,
36 days? Is there a new announcement?
roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
No, that was 36X, the X representing an unknown time approximating one year, since I don't know the exact date the next one will be held.

Now, I'm going to hurry back and make sure I got the X where it belongs.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:29 pm
@roger,
What?
roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't say 36 days. I said 36x days, using x to represent an unknown number
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:38 pm
@roger,
I give up, what are you talking about?
roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I was kind of poking fun at Joe Nation's thread title, and implying that he now has some more time to get ready. An unknown time to get ready, but somewhere in the area of a year. Not knowing the exact time, I did not want to say three hundred sixty five days to get ready. Instead, I said three hundred sixty X days, X representing an unknown.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll just leave it at that.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:55 pm
@roger,
So, you're a marathon newbie. A lot of people work up to large mileage over a year. They work to peak just pre marathon.

I don't know what to say, reasonable, as I'm not one of the runners.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:01 am
@roger,
I get what you are saying Roger, many runners won't wait that long, they are looking around for some other marathon coming up that's not too far away and not closed already.
So yeah, for me, three hundred and sixty blah blah days until the next NYC Marathon....I may be tempted to do some other one, it would have to be a BIG temptation.

I did make the LA TIMES.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/02/nation/la-na-sandy-marathon-20121103
Quote:
Many runners already had decided not to participate this year.

Jonathan Jeffries, 65, a Manhattan business executive, said he had planned not to run his fifth marathon out of concern for police, ambulance attendants and others who assist the race. "These people are dead on their feet. I can't ask them to work on a Sunday and make sure I can have an ice pack on my knee at mile 26," he said.

"We are going to run some other day," he said. "This weekend, we are going to go out and help people."

Joe(They miss-spelled my name. )Nation
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:42 am
@Joe Nation,
Cool!