philosopher as a leader of a country , better , worse ?

north

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 04:28 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Are there philosophers who live their philosophies?

don't know , why?
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 05:56 pm
@Fido,
What about the case with Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now played by Marlon Brando. How do you explain that?
Manss

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 03:36 am
@north,
A philosopher is a man as a politician is too. As a weak or luxuriate politician can destroy a country economy a philosopher can misleads man by some of his wrong ideas except a righteous philosopher that follow real god,s laws and statements because god go not wrong.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 06:06 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Are there philosophers who live their philosophies?
Philosphers live philosophy, but searching after truth is not the same thing as creating dogma... It is roughly the difference between religion as a search for God and a church, or denomination... When you think you have found truth, or God; you try to box it/himorher in; and people accept on faith that it is within, but if they ever look they find it empty... If you can approach truth, I think it suggest the correct way to live; but then children get the same thing on instinct, and if something does not change their instinct they may always know how to live, essentially, relating well with others... And that part is actually difficult for most philosophers... They are almost always distant, over rational, and terrible in relationships with women... Nietzsche was not the only one, folks... If you look at a leader like hitler, or say, Napoleon you can see great simplifiers at work... Just like Napoleon trying to simplify the conduct of war, and yet he made some of the worst of mistakes...There is nothing simple about life... Those who get it naturally have the best time of it, and for those who do not, no amount of philosophy will make life easy...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 06:12 pm
@NoSuchThing,
NoSuchThing wrote:

What about the case with Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now played by Marlon Brando. How do you explain that?
Kurtz understood a little bit of human nature, and only a little... It was the power of fear to capture a mind...What tyrants do not get is that people can get used to almost anything... Once they have felt that horror, and become numb to it, then it often becomes their dearest friend... Do you think the power of fear was lost on the Holocaust Jews in Palestine when they wanted to induce their neighbors to depart... They taught the Arabs something they have almost always known, that some things, terror, for example, are worse than death...
JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 06:11 pm
@Fido,
I certainly wouldn't vote for a presidential candidate who knew nothing about, or had no interest in, philosophy.
And I certianly would not vote for a candidate whose favorite philosopher was Ayn Rand or--as we've learned the hard way--Jesus.
vikorr

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 11:55 pm
@JLNobody,
Oh Jesus' philosophies weren't a big problem...it was his 'followers' philosophies, and what was contained in the rest of the bible that resulted in problems.

I think his biggest blunder, if he was quoted right, was the one regarding slaves. It was 2000 odd years ago. From that far back, I think Aristotle had some odd views regarding women, if I remember right. Smile
----------------------------------------
Fido - I don't see too many philosophers living their philosophy who are leaders. For some reason, a lot of people (not all) who go in depth into philosophy seem to avoid action / making decisions...

...and many philosophers argue about 'truths' regarding people, that will never be used to improve their life or the lives of others. I struggle to comprehend the relevance/usefulness of such (except as mental exercise).
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:30 am
@north,
Give me a president with downs syndrome!
JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 10:29 am
@Cyracuz,
We've already had that.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 10:43 am
@JLNobody,
Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies