philosopher as a leader of a country , better , worse ?

north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:50 pm

would a philosopher be a better leader of any country as opposed to what we have now , lawyers

thoughts
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,571 • Replies: 29
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:07 pm
@north,
Philosopher worse. Too indecisive, head in the clouds, wishy washy, ponderously slow thought process, too distracted by navel gazing to see reality. Why do you ask? Got someone in mind? Smile
north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:20 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Philosopher worse. Too indecisive, head in the clouds, wishy washy, ponderously slow thought process, too distracted by navel gazing to see reality. Why do you ask? Got someone in mind? Smile

nobody in mind just asking what people would think if a philospher would run

and I'm sure there are philosophers that arn't wishy washy that would make very good leaders

who are strong and are well rounded in practacal issues

economics , social and science
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:33 pm
@rosborne979,
...is that a matter of belief out of your own philosophy ? or are you just plain ignorant about what philosophy actually is ?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:38 pm
@north,
I would prefer the kind of philosopher that I do not enjoy reading, i.e., the practical Englishmen, Locke, Bentham, etc. I certainly would not want to have my country led by the deeper thinkers like Nietzsche, Heidegger and Schopenhauer.
Actually the pragmatist Richard Rorty might be the best (and that contradicts my first sentence)..
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:42 pm
@JLNobody,
...Rorty is already a good politician, indeed, fair is fair...so it might just as well become a good journalist dodging prime minister...I can already imagined when asked about the true state of the country´s financial affairs his answer coming up...
...what what ? true state ? true state ??? what in the hell are you talking about ? Laughing
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 04:16 pm
so the lawyer or business man/women is the better leader ?

why ?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 04:47 pm
Clinton was almost the first philosopher President, but he claimed he never inhaled Wink
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:38 pm

I reiterate

so the lawyer or business man/women is the better leader ?

why ?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:57 pm
@north,
Philosophers can teach people how to think. Only they can say what they think... and self government does not require leaders, but it does require self control.
north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 06:13 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Philosophers can teach people how to think. Only they can say what they think... and self government does not require leaders, but it does require self control.

so are you saying that philosophers can't be leaders ?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 07:45 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...is that a matter of belief out of your own philosophy ? or are you just plain ignorant about what philosophy actually is ?
I'm just ignorant Fil.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:03 pm
@rosborne979,
thought so...it is now very conveniently popular among the new poorly educated generations of scientists to confuse those "mind groups" with the whole of the tree...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:06 pm
This whole thread sounds suspiciusly Platonic. Philosopher kings?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...more, I suspect with good reason I believe, that if some of the old teachers at college were alive today they would place cannons at the doors of university's...I for one would gladly help them out...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
...its not a question of ruling but rather one of diversity and knowledge upon the offer...

I think you probably would agree we have a very well informed generation of ignorants...
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:39 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

This whole thread sounds suspiciusly Platonic. Philosopher kings?

this is where I got the idea yrs ago

but now with just lawyers being mostly our political leaders , I thought there is no reason to think that philosophers couldn't do a better job really

because the philosopher is more well rounded
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 07:07 pm
@north,
A philosopher-king is never elected but thrust upon by revolution.
Fido

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 06:42 am
@NoSuchThing,
NoSuchThing wrote:

A philosopher-king is never elected but thrust upon by revolution.
I think there is no such thing... Successful tyrants, like demogogues must understand enough philosophy to grasp essential human nature; but no real philosopher would ever attempt power over his fellows... Freedom is the object of knowledge, and the stasis and peace required for a people to learn and aquire knowledge may require a little tyranny at some point, but such situations tend after a time to exist only for their existence and not for the well being of a population...Freedom is the ideal, in thought and in body, and not only for the individual but the whole community... If people feel they need a leader they should reject all but moral leaders... Let their best people show them how to behave, talk about issues and work out differences..
vikorr

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:39 pm
@north,
Are there philosophers who live their philosophies?