Let's cook: Mexican food!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:16 pm
Now I have to find Marco's version of the recipe - I can't remember what you set the oven at - something like 225 or 250. I guess I'll wing it and go with 250.

I had to interrupt the procedure to get involved in the a2k NFL fantasy draft. But soon, soon, the dish will go in the oven. Meantime, my dog is quite avid for dinner.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:25 pm
I had an overabundance of tomatoes so I decided to try my hand at salsa today and it really turned out good. Here's how I made it, if anyone wants to try it, but since I just made it up as I went along I don't have specific amounts of ingredients

About 4 pounds Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, drained, crushed

Chop up and toss into a bit of hot oil for 5-10 minutes
2 jalapeno
2 Serrano
2 poblano
2 carrots
1.5 large onions
1 large clove of garlic

Toss in tomatoes and about 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice, cumin, salt and chili powder to taste

Toss it all in a blender and grind it up good.

Put it in a pot and simmer for a while.

I'm going to try making chiles en vinagre tomorrow.....
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:32 pm
@boomerang,
I've noticed that mexican recipes call for less garlic than I do. I read this and say, what? one clove?
Italians vary on use of it, re region. I don't know if mexican cooking does.

The a2k person who knows both places well is Fbaezer (there may be others but he is who I remember), and he comes down (some post in the past) as not all that fond of garlic.

My view could be skewed by my weird nose and taste buds, so I'll leave you to it.
boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Ooops. I should have specified -- I used elephant garlic, so that's a lot of garlic.

But since elephant garlic is so mild it wouldn't translate to much regular garlic though.

I always use garlic when making Mexican food but my cooking is pretty much Tex-Mex.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:40 pm
@boomerang,
Marco makes a delicious homemade salsa. I don’t have his recipe but he doesn’t cook it, just blends it all in the cuisinart.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:43 pm
@jcboy,
salsa fresca (to me)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
@jcboy,
Where I'm from that's called pico de gallo and is considered a different thing than salsa altogether.

I love it too!
0 Replies