Let's cook: Mexican food!

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:51 pm
@Irishk,
hehe true, I haven't had Mexican meatball soup since I left CA. I'll turn the air down to 70 Smile
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 08:57 am
@jcboy,
Nate Silver posted this photo on his Twitter account...that's fried haddock! Looks like it's in a crispy corn tortilla wrapped in a flour tortilla. Overkill? LOL...looks SO yummy!

https://yfrog.com/kfibklxj:tw1
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:00 am
@jcboy,
I call it Albondigas, and I mostly ever ate it in Mexico - and Mexico was always hot the several times I went there, even in winter.

Another soup I liked was "tortilla soup" (no immediate recipe, but it was fairly simple and tasty.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:00 am
@Irishk,
with french fries? ay, chihuahua.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:02 am
@ossobuco,
Yep thats the name, Albondigas, I bought everything to make it tonight, and I love tortilla soup as well!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:03 am
@ossobuco,
Exactly my first thought! Lose the fries!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:06 am
@Irishk,
As long as I'm being opinionated again, I frown at the two kinds of tortillas too.
I have enough trouble with the gooey heavy nogoodfornothin texas type flour tortillas here in New Mexico. But, a good corn tortilla has a flavor that works with tacos.
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:10 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I'm not a fan of most anything 'doubledecker', but I probably have a smaller than average appetite. That plate that Nate posted would last me 3 days lol.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:51 am
When I make my Mexican meatball soup I am changing out the vegetable stock and will be using beef stock instead. I’ve seen other recipes and most call for beef stock. What do you think?
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:57 am
@jcboy,
Definitely. When I make Swedish meatballs, I actually use Beef Consomme. (It's probably not authentic Swedish meatballs, but #ohsogood lol).
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:59 am
@Irishk,
Thanks! I wasn't sure, I'll be using the beef! Wink
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:07 am
@jcboy,
http://i.imgur.com/3BqGv.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:48 am
@jcboy,
I should remember to ask the good butcher (a little far from here) if they have any beef bones in the back room. . .
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I came home and started making the Mexican meatball soup. I used the beef stock and decided to leave out the potatoe. It smells yummy!

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=mmb1.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg40/scaled.php?server=40&filename=mmbj.jpg&res=landing
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:49 pm
@jcboy,
Looking good there.

I'm still loving Marco's (and now mine) green chile pork. Do you remember the original link, Marco? Egads it's good, best I've ever had. Somehow that sauce really works, better than any jarred stuff I've tried, something magical about it, and now I know about tomatillos. (watch out, world)

Marco, you're timing may differ. I don't know if you did the browning part or not.. I semi did that. I was set to leave it two hours, but tasted the pork at an hour and fifteen, and it was already perfect. Usually stuff takes longer to cook here at 5000 feet (Albuquerque is just full of people's feet).

Soon I'm going to venture out and buy myself some epazote (then find recipes to use it in).
MMarciano

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:36 pm
@ossobuco,
His Mexican meatball soup was fantastic! I'm taking some for lunch tomorrow!

I don't have the original link anymore, copied it and pasted it into word. I do the browning part, always seals in the juices, I always cook it a little slower, I like to take it apart with a fork and put it in a corn tortilla.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Do you remember the original link, Marco?

the recipe is on a lot of sites, including

http://www.brews-bros.com/topic/64443-pork-chili-verde/

http://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_recipesite.asp?rid=2824403&uid=115435&sid=291700

this one is good - it has photos of the recipe in process

http://onestopcook.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/authentic-mexican-style-chili-verde-pork-chunks-in-green-sauce/

(I took one of the distinctive sentences and threw it into google)

It gets rave reviews wherever it is posted.
MMarciano

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:45 pm
@ehBeth,
You know I took his Mexican meatball soup to lunch today, it was even better the second time. It seems when you let it set overnight and re-heat it the next day it has more flavor!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, that's edifying, that others than us like it! we're on the right track. Thanks for the links.

Today I'm modifying the carne adobada recipe from Saveur to fit my version (shorter time) of Marco's version (do you follow that? we bake/roast) of the popular recipe.

So far I've cut up porky and chosen today's selection of chiles (how they spell it in New Mexico), which are soaking in just-boiled water.
Today's chiles: 5 New Mexico Mild (those are pretty big), 2 Chili puya, hot and sweet (the Mexican spelling), and three Chili Arbol (the ones they make chile flakes out of, or so it seems). Still no where as many ounces of chiles as the Saveur recipe. I'm working my way up.

Edit to add the original Saveur recipe posted earlier in the thread:
Carne Adobada (Red Chile and Pork Stew)

This hearty pork stew is a staple dish in New Mexico. Our recipe is based on one served at La Posta de Mesilla in Mesilla. It calls for New Mexico Chile Powder, an earthy, sweet chile powder available at many specialty stores and online at Amazon.com. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Jane and Michael Stern's story "Hot Stuff."
SERVES 8–10

INGREDIENTS
5 oz. dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed
2 tbsp. New Mexico chile powder
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 lime
5 tbsp. olive oil
3 lb. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2″ chunks
Kosher salt and freshly ground blackpepper, to taste
Warm corn tortillas, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat chiles in a 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and cook, turning once, until toasted, about 5 minutes; transfer to a large bowl, cover with 8 cups boiling water, and let sit for 20 minutes. Drain chiles, reserving 1 1/2 cups soaking liquid, and transfer chiles to a blender along with reserved soaking liquid, chile powder, honey, vinegar, cumin, cloves, cayenne, and lime juice. Puree until smooth and set sauce aside.

2. Return pot to medium-high heat and add oil; season pork with salt and pepper, and working in batches, add pork to pot and cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Add sauce and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is thickened and pork is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve with warm corn tortillas.
MMarciano

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
That sounds delicious!

Morgan said he’s making Sunday dinner tomorrow but he’s not sure what to make yet, if he wasn’t already asleep I’m sure he would say “Stay Tuned”
Laughing
0 Replies