"Did...used" grammatically okay? it seems both yes and no... weird

oristarA

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:22 pm
I was stunned by the evidences Google offered up:

The search of "Did he use to" got 1,290,000 hits to support Contrex's idea. What a great number!

The search of "Did he used to" got 48,100,000 hits to support JTT's idea.
How grand!

Oh, it is a war in the field of language.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 11:09 pm
Toldya.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:56 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
I was stunned by the evidences Google offered up:

I think that this is an example of people following the natural grammar rules of language.

Consider this. If there weren't people telling/lecturing people to follow what is a natural rule for lexical verbs - 'use the base form in negatives and questions', but what is an unnatural rule for semi-modals, perhaps that Google search would show hardly any people using "Did S use to?".

Of course, this isn't any different than the other unnatural rules/prescriptions that have been offered over the years. People simply don't follow unnatural rules, rules that go against the rules contained in our internal grammars.
contrex

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 04:22 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I think that this is an example of people following the natural grammar rules of language.

Isn't deeming something "unnatural" a form of prescription? It feels kind of hard to have to give up saying or writing "Did he use to gamble frequently?", after growing up in a setting where practically everybody I heard, from humble to exalted, used that form, and after having noticed it as the mostly-used form in written material. I'll exclude the teachers at school because they were clearly tainted. Doubly hard to have to do so because a guy with a bee in his bonnet on on a Web forum says I must. You see, I didn't just make up a "rule" out of a doctrinaire desire to prescribe.
JTT

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:23 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Isn't deeming something "unnatural" a form of prescription? It feels kind of hard to have to give up saying or writing "Did he use to gamble frequently?", after growing up in a setting where practically everybody I heard, from humble to exalted, used that form,

No, that isn't prescriptive, C, because I certainly would never make the demand that another dialect change the form they are used to using.

Quote:
after growing up in a setting where practically everybody I heard,

'heard'?, C?

I'm totally good with BrE writing Did S use to?/S didn't use to. I was merely discussing the reasoning behind such a use.

You must have read at least some of my discussions with OmSig. If you have, you could have easily accused me of hypocrisy for my seeming demand that all English writers adhere to "logic" in their use of language.

Quote:
and after having noticed it as the mostly-used form in written material.

Have you done a corpus study, or can you point to one which backs your anecdotal evidence?

contrex

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:27 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

bla bla bla

More JTT batshit
JTT

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:12 pm
@contrex,
Contrex, the language teacher, pulls another OmSig.
oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:08 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Contrex, the language teacher, pulls another OmSig.

I don't understand what does "pull" mean here. Why not omit the verb. "Another David" is fine.

Make peace and don't make war guys.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 05:38 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I don't understand what does "pull" mean here.

I don't understand what [does] "pull" means here.

You could substitute 'does' or 'behaves like' for 'pulls' here, Ori.

==============
M-W

pull

a : put on, assume <pull a grin>
b : to act or behave in the manner of <pulled a Horace Greely and went west — Steve Rushin>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pull

===============

Quote:
Make peace and don't make war guys.

And steal from you the opportunity to be exposed to more and varied English - no way, Jose. Smile
0 Replies