I had to re-do my Will

jcboy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 07:14 pm
My will consist of seven documents. My lawyer charged me a hundred dollars per document. I consider that peace of mind for the money. He sent me a disk with the documents today and tomorrow we have to stop in his office to have them signed and notarized.

In Florida gay couples living together have no rights whatsoever so I had to make sure Marco and Antonio were taken care in case something were to happen to me, because you never know what tomorrow brings for anyone.

Some of the documents sound a bit morbid.

DECLARATION NAMING PRENEED GUARDIAN

LIVING WILL AND DESIGNATION OF HEALTH CARE
SURROGATE

EXECUTED LIFE ESTATE DEED

DECLARATION REGARDING FINAL DISPOSITION OF
DEAD HUMAN BODY

DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY
UNDER SECTION 709.08, FLORIDA STATUTES

PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT (Financial)

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

My parents both had a will when they passed away and my father always told me you need to always plan ahead to make sure your loved ones are taken care of when your time is up.

Have you finalized your last wishes?

Stormwatch

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 07:23 pm
@jcboy,
I haven't, but I should.

My mother had everything in order before she passed away. As hard as it was losing her, it was easier knowing I didn't have to deal with legal issues at that time. She was taking care of me even in death.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:26 am
Can I have the turtles? Very Happy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:39 am
When I am dead, people can do whatever they want with my leftovers, after all, I'll be dead.

There have been basic financial matters put together, whereby the money in a particular holding is labeled for a person. This is mainly so the State doesn't get to waltz away with it.

My favored choice for after death, is to head over to the labs and be cut up for scientific/medical research. If that cannot or does not happen, well, I don't care what gets done with my carcass, after all, I'll be dead.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:50 am
@jcboy,
It's the costs, that with Divorce, still not done, even though I am engaged:) Is why I haven't.. But I am proud of you, I mean if something happened to me? He, the ex, gets it not my man...

K, one more sale or something, rental, anything, it's time thanks for kicking me up the azz. Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 12:21 pm
@jcboy,
It is one of the most blatant reasons that laws need to change to include gay marriage equality.

You shouldn't have to go to the added expense and trouble to achieve the same securities and rights that heteros receive just by saying "I do."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
@jcboy,
I haven't, and really need to. Thanks for the reminder.

(Also a good reminder to all re: how much more complicated this legal stuff is for gay families -- not fair.)

edit: oops, was typing when Butrflynet said the same thing... we agree.
aidan

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 12:26 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
Have you finalized your last wishes?

Yes. When/if I die before either of my two children, my estate will be divided between them equally.

I'm just having trouble figuring out who would rather have the blue glass collection as opposed to the LP/vinyl/cd collection/ vs. the piano.

I guess I'll let them fight that out.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 12:38 pm
I knew two guys that were together for 16 years, the house was in just one of their names and he was killed in a car accident, had no Will. His partners parents got everything and he had to move out of the home they shared and received nothing that belonged to his partner.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:07 pm
@sozobe,
You're welcome.

I had everything finalized today. My lawyer said it’s iron clad.

I only have two relatives, my mom’s younger sister who would never contest my Will.

If I hadn’t changed it today and something were to happen my dad’s younger brother whom I detest would definitely do his best to make sure Marco and Antonio were excluded. He can’t now! Signed by two witnesses and I in my lawyer’s office.

It’s a nice feeling having that taken care of.
JPB

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:10 pm
@jcboy,
Well done!
jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 07:33 pm
@JPB,
Thank you! It’s such a nice feeling to have that out of the way.

The lawyer said I won’t receive my copy for about a week but doesn’t matter because it is already signed, notarized and dated in his office.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 07:51 pm
We finally got around to doing our wills and trusts last year, and it's been a big load off my mind.

Morgan, your concern about Marco and Antonio was well placed. It reminds me of one of the segments on one of those "If These Walls Could Talk"

ITWCT had a couple editions, one with 3 or 4 segments about gays, another one w/ 3 or 4 segments about abortion....

Here's the first of five 7 or 8 minute videos that show what is was like back in 1961 for 2 women who had lived together for decades.

I remember when I originally watched it I just cried and cried.
If you choose to watch, the first 1:50 are credits, then the story begins...when it's over you can watch the others parts for the whole story.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 10:20 pm
@Sturgis,
That's kind of what I've done. Financial assets all have a POD (beneficiary) added, which I understand causes the assets to move directly to the beneficiary without becoming part of the estate. I should really be checking into that instead of assuming the new accounts people at the bank actually know what they are talking about.

Also need to do some updating on the beneficiary.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 11:14 pm
@jcboy,
I have had a will since I was 21 and I have changed it a few times due to certain situations.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:29 am
Okay you convinced me, I'll be doing mine now. Going to buy one of those Will writing programs. Lawyers are too expensive.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:54 am
If you really want to do your family a favor, donate your body to science. It will save them thousands in funeral costs and the trauma of having to make those arrangements. If they want to have an event to celebrate your life they can do it without your corpse.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 06:09 pm
This video explains why every gay couple should have a Will.

chai2

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 07:11 pm
@jcboy,
I don't know if people will listen....no one will listen if I don't talk....so I'm talking.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 07:17 pm
@chai2,
That happenes more often then people know.

My mother would have never been like the one boys family however I’ve heard some not so good things about Morgan’s uncle, his father’s younger brother. We both have our wills locked in a safety deposit box.